Snow!

Discussion in 'Pointless Fun' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

The more winters I experience, the less magical and "big deal" they seem. But despite this, there's always, every year, something that makes me tremble when seeing the first snowflakes falling from the sky and laying a white carpet on the ground. <--Sounds like the beginning of a boring book.

I've been waiting a while now, and it's finally here :D What about you, folks? Has the snow come yet? How much? If not, when do you think it will? Maybe there's never snow where you live?

2. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

I live in flordia so no snow ):

3. Strelok

Strelok Well-Known Member

The snow have come and gone at our place, but it will return and, hopefully, in big quantities.
    Mostly I am happy with early snow because it will mean a long winter, but this year I kinda want it to wait a bit. The reson behind is that I got an offer to plow a road, only problem is that I haven't got a driving license yet.

4. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

We've had snow for about 2 weeks now but it hasn't been much. Just enough to cover the ground. Still looking forward to winter though.

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

About a year ago, I was in an online relationship with a girl from South-Africa, and she has never ever seen snow in her whole life. That's pretty strange, huh? :p

6. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Neither have I seen snow EVER :(

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

Wow, I'm surprised o: Man, you've never touched snow? Never thrown a snow ball? Never gone skiing or snowboarding? Man, you gotta go on a vacation to some place with snow! Go to Russia! :D

8. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Lol my dad's out of a job my mom is really Ill and my sister has 8000 dollars in collage fees and u want me to go on vacation?
    :eek:hwell:

9. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

no snow her yet, but hopefully we'll have some soon. can't wait!

btw, to all of you in the states, trapped by the super-storm, I hope you are ok and get through it all right. stay safe guys.

10. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

we actually got the first snow this weekend, but most of it is gone now:(

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

I do actually believe in the Global Warming. I don't think it will do anything drastic like in 'The Day After Tomorrow', but the North Pole is melting a lot. I don't know if it's trustworthy information, but I found a picture once that showed how more than half of the North Pole has melted over the last ten years or so, if I remember correctly. I can see it even here in Norway; there's less and less snow every winter. I remember a few years back, there was extremely much, taller than the half of my house. Now, it's just slurp here and slurp there.

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Started snowing on Sunday in the area where I live, but it was very little and was almost completely gone by the next morning. There's none left now. Typical English weather - they rarely get proper snow over here. :( Different thing in Poland. Usually, in Poland, winters are very harsh, cold and snowy (though the extent of that also varies with the location; I think the south and the east normally get the most snow).

Damn it, I miss Polish winters. I remember back when I was in kindergarten, a group of older kids built an igloo... obviously, it wasn't as big and sturdy as a proper one, but it was big enough for kids to fit in it and the weather was so cold that it lasted much longer than anyone expected. I also remember making tunnels through the thick snow that often dropped on the countryside that my grandma lives in. Good times. But I was spoiled by the amount of snow that I got as a little child, and now I'm suffering because England gets nowhere near the same amount. :p

13. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

Well in England we're having more extreme summers and winters, it's just a natural process the earth goes through. Global warming is probably a factor too but there's also other things to take into account. The earths Co2 levels change naturally over time and our Co2 levels are rising again which means more heat.

I've also heard something about how the earth doesn't spin on a perfect axis and it will move on it's tilt (I dunno how to explain it) and slowly the earth moves around so that eventually where the equator is now on the earth it will be switched with the North and south poles. I can't remember who explained it to me now but it was probably BS. If you're into science you can always try and look it up.

Edit: Forgot to mention I love snow! Until it turns into a horrible, slippery, slush.

14. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

yes the Co2 levels are ofc changing naturally, but the whole deal with global warming is that humans rise the Co2 levels more than the natural change. and its true the earth moves around its own axis, and th north and south poles are actually moving, and in the future, a long time away they will have moved away from their current positions.

15. stevetheranger

stevetheranger Well-Known Member

im getting snow now

16. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

The point I was trying to make was that the Polar Ice caps will melt regardless of whether or not we rise the Co2 levels.

17. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

maybe not producing billions of tons of CO2 could make the process less brutal...

Anyhow,where i live we never see snow,usually. Only some ice and stuff.

18. Skaara Dreadlocks

Thanks for the info, guys. Very interesting :)
    As predicted, the little snow that came yesterday evening, is now almost gone :l Hopefully there'll be more soon :D

19. Nod2033

Nod2033 Well-Known Member
    Regular

lol lucky :p

I haven't seen snow ages now, I live in Greece, Athens, and it just never snows here, maybe once in a decade... :(

20. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Well, it hasn't snowed here yet, but it usually starts around primo november, so I'm not worried.
    About the global warming, it seems it just makes the weather more extreme. Something like 5 or 6 heat and cold records were set last year, and 2 years back it was the most harsh winter I've ever experienced - we ran out of salt (for the roads, not the pork) and we had to import huge amounts from Turkey and elsewhere. After the winter, cracks surfaced in the asphalt everywhere.
    I think it would be a usual winter by Norwegian standards, but it was quite brutal here.