Quantcast

Skills/talents

Discussion in 'The Division' started by Codygr89, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Codygr89

Codygr89 Member

As the title suggests, how detailed are the skills or talents? Or is it sticking to a classic FPS style, your gun and gear determines your character and how you play him?

Are the skills and talents obtained through leveling or through other means, such as what gear you have on or story progression?

2. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

As far I can tell (and I've read a lot of different articles and watched pretty much every video on IGN about this game), there has been very little detail released about the levelling elements of this game, including how skills will affect game play.

I know from the videos that there was some HUD info showing that you do get XP when you kill another player or enemy but they never got into details as to how that'll affect your character and what levelling up will unlock. I'm curious to see and can't wait for more info.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

They are probably going to be obtained through leveling up but so far we have little to no information about how skills/talents will impact the game. We'll probably hear news soon, this aspect of the game is in the works most likely.

4. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

It's weird that they've explained so little about how the game works on the RPG side. Maybe they're still trying to strike a balance of all the skill and stats? Balancing is one of the last parts when developing a game, after all. So maybe that's why we don't know much.

5. Cyborg Superman

I did a bit of digging online and it seems there is a bit more information regarding skills.

Don't take this as definite as it could very well change, but it seems that you'll be able to specialize in skills and they will have different tiers that can be upgraded. For example upgrading your turret to a flamethrower. Sounds like there will be some room for customization and it shouldn't be everyone running around with the same build.

It also sounds like there will be a meter that will recharge, so you can't constantly spam your skills.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Most likely. They don't want to hype up some features then find out that they can't implement them successfully in the game. Better safe than sorry here, I'm sure that the beta will clear things up and we'll be able to know everything about them.

7. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member Regular

Levelling up is the way, it seems

8. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member Regular

More than likely on leveling up, which I hope. I think that makes the game more fun.

9. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Any new info on this? I mean, almost every game has some sort of skills/talents leveling system, I'm almost sure Division will have it too.
    Although, now that I think about it, maybe they won't. Maybe the whole skills/talents leveling whatever is just the skill you earn playing the game. Like, with time you get better, or something like that. That would definitely be more realistic, it's just that the most modern games don't take this approach and Ubisoft will probably not want to risk that much.

10. JC_224

JC_224 Active Member Regular

I'm actually worried that the hinted RPG elements are going to be much less than what we are expecting. So far we've only really seen that damage appears above enemies akin to an MMO and we've been told that the world isn't truly open world and is made up of areas which are instanced. These instanced areas are then connected to one another, but not in a seamless fashion.

11. Ishmael

Have we even seen some skills in use during gameplay videos? Other than the healing grenades, I mean. Unless they're all passive abilities? That would be disappointing.

12. d'arakh

There was a video recently which had shown skill trees (I believe) for a second or two and it showed you can upgrade your abilities. They said you can only use two perks (not sure if this is the word) at the time out of three different categories each for two bumpers on controller. However, in the video it can clearly be seen that you can use three perks at the time (one bumper each and one for both pressed at the same time) so I'm not really sure what to believe in, but I think it's obvious there will be some sort of perk system.

13. Ishmael

I saw the video, thank you. I've made a thread just for that since it talks about various things.
    I'm more comfortable now that I have some information about it. Seems like a flexible and interesting system that it's going to help you but it won't substitute you in combat, you still need to be good at the game to make a difference it seems which is nice.

d'arakh likes this.
  14. d'arakh

Yeah, I think it did them good to come forward and show a little bit more about game mechanics. And I definitely agree that seems like an interesting system.

15. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member Regular

Well the video just came out yesterday and I'm personally really happy about it. I like the Skill Tree system - it reminds me of the MMORPG games I always play. I'm mostly a MMORPG player (I do play MMOFPS too but not that much) so yeah it's making me feel at home. I'm really glad they decided to go this route and now I'm more excited about this game than before.

16. Cyborg Superman

More news from Ubi regarding skills: once you've unlocked a skill, you permanently have access to it, and you can even switch them at any point. You can only have 2 skills equipped at once, but have a whole slew of skills unlocked, so depending on what you're trying to accomplish you can swap them in and out as needed.

17. BoxofCereal

BoxofCereal Member Regular

I'm glad they've made it so one player can spec into different trees. I was a little worried that there would be "classes" and you'd be stuck from the get go into a certain role. The ability to mix and max will keep the game fresh and add an element of preparation to a fight. I wonder if we'll see any fourth tree sometime in the future.

18. Cyborg Superman