Sidekicking system

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by Cullen, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Cullen

Cullen Member

I was reading about that today and it sounds like a new development or approach for games.

What are your thoughts?

2. Level 1

Level 1 Member

City of Hero's used it. As long as people have to put in the same amount of time to really be 80 as all of us, it's cool. I think if you're with a friend and you're really lvl 23, but you are 50 with your friend you will be back down to 23 or a little higher if you leveled when you leave them. All lvls take about 1.5-2 hours. Same way with the 50 if he wanted to go down to the lvl 23 zone.

3. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

The only thing I like about the sidekicking system, is that they actually made it plausable to do. Meaning, if your a higher lvl guy helping out a bud in a really low lvl area, your still getting stuff. Resources, karma, money, and other misc. are your reward. Not low lvl gear and no exp like other game's "sidekicking" system give ya. I mean, I like my friends, but it makes ya not wanna help if your just wasting your time.

4. Cullen

Cullen Member

That makes it cooler - you're actually getting stuff related to your own level?

5. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

Xerran - why is that the only thing you like? What do you dislike about it?

6. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

I didnt say I "didn't" like it. I just ment that, thats what makes it cool. Several games before did the sidekicking thing, and it just felt like a waste of time if you were the higher lvl helping your friend out. Now it wont be, thx to Arenanet.

7. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

usually in other games that boosted your level like a sidekick thing you were still pretty useless because all your skills were so weak, you still had the lesser version of the skills

8. Enewarf

Enewarf Member

Still a little confused on this actually. Couldn't this mean that I would have no need to try and level as I could simply "sidekick" up to my buddy's level?

9. Aleister

Aleister Member

In my opinion it's the single greatest feature of the game. One of the biggest problems mmo's have had for years is that it can be really difficult to play with your friends. If one of you puts more time into the game then the other person can't keep up. Plus it makes it really difficult to bring people in to the game if they have to level up by themselves before they can play with you.

Plus, this means I'm free to power my way to 80 for WvW, and then I can go back to the lower level zones I skipped and still experience all the content and pick up the various armor skins.