Should I give it another shot?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' started by Maeve, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Maeve

Maeve Member

Hey everyone. I've just recently quit WoW and am looking for alternatives.

I played SW:TOR at launch and while I quite enjoyed the story side of it, it didn't quite feel like an MMO to me as it seemed like there wasn't much of a community. I went back when it went free-to-play but it still couldn't hold my attention.

So my question is, have there been any really cool improvements worth going back for?

Thanks!

2. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

They increased the level cap with the recent expansions but honestly it depends on how much of the game you can play in their free to play status. So many features get locked out when you aren't a monthly subbed, but if you had one of those key chain things to secure your account you might have a lot of cartel coins to use on the market, which you can use to buy a lot of ingame stuff. So if anything, its worth redownloading if you haven't already just to see what you have.

3. Samu Zadori

Samu Zadori Member

You're right, lots of features are locked behind a paywall, like the increased level cap; it's only available to those who purchase the expansion pack. Also, keep in mind that the expasion pack is not included with your monthly subscription, so you may be paying 12.99 a month, still unable to reach the actual level cap!

4. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the marking idea behind SW: TOR is really bad. First they went free to play, but you actually had to pay money to access basic features of the game. Then they brought out a few expansions, which you also have to pay for. And the icing on the cake, was, creating an expansions featuring Revan. Your old character from KoTOR. And you were forced to fight him. Not cool imho, not cool at all.

5. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member
    Regular

Like you, I asked myself if I should give this game another shot. I ended up updating it (which had a few GBs worth of download to do), then trying to log in.

Turns out I had setup the security key, which is an app you download that generates a unique number and acts as an extra layer of security. So anyway, I forgot my password (it's been years since my last login) so I go on the site to reset it... except you need the security code to login to reset it. The issue is that you need your username and password in order to log into the app to get a security code... see my issue yet? Finally I found that if you go on a certain page on their official site, there's a link asking if you've lost your security code app. Anyway, after finally figuring it all out, I managed to log in and update the game.

Now, when I try to log into the game, I get an error message saying that I can't connect to the server...

6. Cyborg Superman

Regular

I finally managed to log on, I didn't realize that I had PeerBlock on and it was blocking EA from connecting to my PC, hehe.

Wow, there's a huge difference between paying and the free portion. I'm honestly thinking I'm going to sub for a month to continue playing because it feels like I barely have access to anything, lol.

7. IgCho

IgCho Active Member
    Regular

Yeah having played both the free and paid portions of the game, I think the free portion is enough to develop interest, but if you really want to experience the game you'll probably need a paid subscription. The 'raid' system is actually a lot of fun, and the space battle strikezones are really enjoyable.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  8. Cyborg Superman

Regular

Do they still have the flying ship missions? Even though they are mostly on rails, I still had a kick of flying around and shooting stuff.

9. LadyLotus

LadyLotus Member
    Regular

There may be a few members of the forum that swat be for this. While I keep my WOW toon live, I don't really play it often. I suggest you switch to order and chaos online 1 or 2. I really recommend one, as 2 is still far to pay to win, where OAC 1 is now more play to win. I know you teeny boopers have some short code for those terms, but my old brain is slipping. If you do choose to try order and chaos 1, a free to play android and IOS (don't play on same servers), you might like it because Gameloft pays blizzard for rights to use graphics.

10. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would have to say yes, but I am also one of those people who never likes to give up on anything. There is potential here though and I think another shot is well worth it.

11. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeod Active Member
    Regular

I am not sure, I am in a same situation like you kinda. Played it before, then stopped, tried it when it went F2P, got bored quickly and left. Now I don't know if it's worth going back, but you should probably try something else since you tried this one twice and it didn't got your attention.

12. reverior1

reverior1 Member
    Regular

If someone is still thinking to give this game another shot - better don't. Devs totally lost control over it and the quality of swtor fallen down pretty badly - new content appears very rare, ranked pvp is ruled by abusers and elitists, buggs are not being fixed at all.

13. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I was thinking of trying it out until I came to your comment. It seems it's not worth it but I might need to find out for myself.

I don't understand why the game has so many negative reviews.

14. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think you should see the latest clip on the animated star wars the old republic movie. I think it has been greatly improved. You will like it as though you never played it.