Should EQ have modern weapons?

Discussion in 'Everquest Next' started by online24, Aug 20, 2013.

1. online24

online24 Active Member

.. or should it stick to the fantasy aspect of the game and just use swords, bows and arrows, horses etc etc. It seems there are a few players unhappy about modern weaponry disrupting the 'fantasy lore' background of the game.

2. efpierce

efpierce New Member

I think it should stay the way it is. There are plenty of games out there with modern weapons and if someone wants that sort of thing, they can just switch games. Modern weaponry would ruin the game completely.

3. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

No, I don't think they should have modern weapons. They should rather stick to the basics and have the medieval weapons they are renowned for.

4. Zlyuka

Zlyuka Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be Everquest then... I'm not entirely happy where EQN is heading to with their current development ideas either so hopefully not as it will be the last blow for me.

5. Tykain

Tykain Member

Definitely not! it should stay the way it is; it just wouldn't be Everquest anymore with modern weapons.
    Crossbows is the most advanced weapon this kind of game should ever have. Stick to medieval-like weapons and magic.

6. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

Swords are still modern.. but to add things like guns and stuff, it would just make more sense to play a game like Planetside or Defiance or some game where the game is actually built around that element instead of bringing in "modern" weapons into a realm where they do not belong.

7. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I think they should stick with fantasy weapons if they tried to go with a more realistic approach it would not feel like EQ anymore in my opinion.

8. Ironsight90

Ironsight90 Member

Personally, I'm going to say no. Guns and the like have never existed in Norrath, and to see them in Next would ruin the immersion for me in a number of ways.

Aside from that, I think guns in a medieval fantasy game are just plain unrealistic.
    For example, guns historically have made metal armour redundant. Also, the type of gun that would even remotely fit in a fantasy environment would be muzzle-loader type guns, like the blunderbuss. These would be have to be either highly unrealistic, or highly impractical to use, as realistically they take minutes to fire a single shot...

In GW2, there are semi-automatic pistols that look like flintlock muzzle-loaders. Seeing someone use them made me cringe every time...

9. kjl.leblanc

kjl.leblanc Member

No to modern weapons. It just wouldn't be an Everquest game with guns and lasers pew pew'ing everything. I think they should keep things simple and try to maintain their roots somewhat.