Quantcast

Sega Dreamcast: A Pioneer for Video Games With very popular

Discussion in 'Phantasy Star' started by jacksondaniels, Jul 27, 2013.

1. The Sega Dreamcast debuted in North America on September 9, 1999 to much fanfare. As the first introduce in the 6th generation of consoles, the Dreamcast became a booming success on launch; within roughly two weeks' time, sales had topped over 500,000 units. Though it would be short-lived, the Dream-cast changed gaming and helped spur the level of online play and even the styles of games popular today.

2. supernoobl

supernoobl New Member

The Dreamcast was so cool. I wish I still had that. I wonder what happened...

I still remember the memory cards being their own little thing; that felt revolutionary to me back then.

3. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

What happened was SEGA's horrible decisions. For starters, they released the Dreamcast very shortly after the Saturn, and that meant they lost third party developers' trust. They also failed to put out that many games for the system.

Sure, it was a fantastic system, probably the best console ever made (or most innovative at least, maybe only the Wii can beat it in that category). However, it was launched too soon, in a too competitive and harsh market, being swiftly killed by Sony's console.

4. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

The dreamcast was pretty impressive software and hardware wise during its time. Phantasy Star could have been bigger and better if the Dreamcast was launched properly.