Quantcast

Sea power or land power?

Discussion in 'More Civilization' started by Sad Puppy, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

Which one do you prefer to develop? Land units are necessary in either case, of course, so it's sometimes easier to skip the whole seafaring thing and just expand all over your continent, but I strongly prefer building maritime empires myself. Naturally, my favorite type of map is the ones with a lot of archipelagos :p When I start on a continent I would try to expand over the oceans anyway, I just get more fun from discoevring the entire world, and on a large maps, you sometimes later get to launch surprise attacks on less technologcally improved nations, quickly increasing the size of your empire.

2. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

I mainly choose to go for land power and don't like most naval units, unless you can attack cities with it and therefore benefit an attack of yours.

3. Vall

Vall Member Regular

I tend to stick with mostly land units, but it really does depend on the map. Some games i won't even build a fleet. I do enjoy loading up aircraft carriers with bombers in the late game to hit coastal cities and armies, that's always fun :D

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

I stick with land because I've always been more of a land person than a water person anyway. I'm not that interested with ships and boats and I find land vehicles a lot more appealing.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer land power. It can be fun to create the sea power but I find most of the time they just end up using up most of my resources and I don't get really big gains from them.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I like naval units but only when I play with a nation that relies heavily on sea power and ways of infiltrating other countries. Most of the time I go with land power though.

7. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I'm a huge fan of sea power because I like naval combat and being able to explore around the ocean is such a useful thing to do in a civ game.

8. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I usually choose the land ones as they are easy to monitor and can keep an eye on what is going on and see where the camp and army is as well in the process in the game. It is important to see how powerful the other country is and also use scouts to spy in the land before trying to conquer the other nation. Sea battles can be a challenge as you have to keep an eye on what occurs and see how the game goes as you need to have resources as well to keep up in the battle.

9. DeeDee

Same. Even though I mostly just choose land out of preference and taste I also agree that it's a lot easier to get going and it wastes a little less on resources. Maybe to some this might not be the case but for me it is.

SirJoe likes this.
  10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

a lot of it just depends on the map and your starting position. I usually like naval power because you can really force an civilization to waste a lot of resources building defensive units that you can just blow apart. Playing against other players, it is a great way to break their will and strategy.

11. SirJoe

If they could iron out the creases it could be a really good game. I think there are enough people out there that liked the game that if they launch a squeal they would have success.

12. NormaD

NormaD Active Member Regular

Land power. I prefer land to the water because I just prefer the land vehicles to the ships. I haven't really given the sea power a chance. I might change my mind later.

13. DeeDee

Yeah I think if they did some good balancing I'd start to find sea power a lot more appealing but to be honest I've always just assumed it was meant to be that way since I've always just been more interested in land power and resources anyway regardless of the merits of each.

14. SirJoe

I think you should explorer all the parts of the game if you can. The ships are eye candy but I like you still prefer land power.

15. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

I personally like going with land power because I feel more comfortable attacking or fighting on flat ground, therefore I can make more strategic moves and plan many other interesting stuff.

16. Mistiq

Mistiq Member Regular

I find land power more appealing than sea power. I'm not averse to exploring sea power in the future. I might be pleasantly surprised to find that I love them too...

17. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

Naval units are great. I like it

18. ad.mike2016

ad.mike2016 Member Regular

It is funny you said lots of archipelagos. I love the archipelagos map. Unless I am playing large continents I usually go with a mixture between naval units and land units. I like to claim the out laying islands. They are good places to find resources and you never know if it might be your last free city.

19. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

I always like the attack from the sea but it really never seems to work as well, and it ends up being the land that does all the work. I used to stack up marines but it takes a long time to get.