Quantcast

Saving the world never gets old?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, Aug 31, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Role Playing games are always on a Grand scale. Games like Final Fantasy, Xenogears, Dragon Warrior, Grandia, and others tackle stories that involve saving the world. And you know what? It seems as though we never get tired of it. What about you? Don't you ever get tired with themes of saving the world?

2. -Kian-

-Kian- Active Member

I agree, it's really repeating and kind of annoying. Sometimes action/adventure stories with less impact on the world are needed too. But luckily, not all games have the concept. We just need more variation.

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Most defiantly I wish mmorpg’s gave you the option to either help or destroy the world like in Champions return to Arms did.

4. casiolol

casiolol Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a lot of truth to the thread title. It seems that the public is willing to keep on saving the world as long as there are some minor tweaks to the story line and new characters in each game. What is the solution? Probably to employ more full time script writers for RPG's. Maybe creative writing programs should have a course in RPG writing? We definitely need some new themes and plots.

5. SwordHungry

SwordHungry Well-Known Member

I like being able to save the world, but I also like the option of being able to destroy it too. One of the things that attracts me too games is the option to make my own choices, and choose if I am bad or good. Although I usually choose good, it gives you a sense of freedom and makes you feel powerful.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

The thing is, it's really hard to make a game where choices REALLY matter. Mass effect was well done, maybe not the endings but especially the way your actions affected the other characters etc.

7. drkn335

drkn335 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I do, because I do it so often so it would be nice if another plot was thrown in. Why do we even have to be saving something/someone in the first place? I think it would be cool if there was an RPG that had missions (kinda like if you imagine Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee on their missions to crack a case and kungfu the baddies) at different levels and so you got to follow lots of different story lines. Or you could be a detective, but the fate of the world doesn't rest on it.

8. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I think you should play Sleeping Dogs, it EXACTLY what you described :)

9. drkn335

drkn335 Well-Known Member

What platform is it on? Is it a game for the computer because really atm I'm only playing f2p RPG's on the PC. But if it sounds good then I may be tempted to buy it, thanks for the heads up!

10. admatha

admatha Member

I agree with SwordHungry, in that I enjoy having the choice to save or to destroy. I also agree with crimsonghost, in that if it doesn't actually matter what I do, it's hard to keep caring. WoW came close to finding a solution with phases, but unfortunately in the end it still doesn't matter. I don't know how you could get around that in a MMORPG, of course, because you've got all these players you have to kind-of-sort-of keep on the same page. Dragon Age:Origins did the best job I've seen of it in a regular RPG. I wish I could forget that game and play it all over again, it was incredible how much that game made me care about what happened and what I did about it.

11. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

It came out for the PC, PS3 and 360.
    I got it on Steam it sometimes goes on sale for really cheap prices.

12. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

No, this is why games will never get boring because in games you are the hero even if in real life you are common with no special skills.

13. TheViper

TheViper Well-Known Member

The concept of saving the world never gets old. It is just how it is executed is the problem. I've literally found games and movies that just rehash the same scenarios. I just wish there was more originality.

14. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind if they ask me to save a city or town only once in a while or may be let me destroy it. Most RPGs are fantasy based and the genre sometimes can't shed some of the tropes Tolkien established. Saving the world is one of those.

15. KitBrit

KitBrit Member

I feel like there always has got to be some big plot line, so that you actually care. Games with people just living their lives as normal just aren't as fun. While I do like the sims, I don't want a bunch of games exactly like it. While they could make it on a smaller scale i.e. saving a town instead of the world, they wouldn't be able to make the game as long in my opinion, and the scenery wouldn't be as awesome and varied throughout the game.

On a side note, can I just say that I LOVE that you mentioned grandia?! Grandia 2 is my favorite game of ALL TIME. Love love love <3

16. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Saving the world is one of the biggest video game tropes out there, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I can't name more than a few games that really make you feel like you've done such a large accomplishment, though.

17. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

I think instead of saving the world topes we need ending the world tropes. Like you play as a bad guy, and your goal is decimate life on the planet HOW EVER you see fit to do so. You could be like Kefka and murder just because, you could be like Sephiroth and want to use the planet as a surfboard through the universe, but whatever it is the end goal should be to end it all.

18. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Well-Known Member

When I play RPGs, I don't really think about saving the world. I just love how my character levels-up and get stronger as the game progresses. :D

19. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

I love the progression but just think of it from another viewpoint as the villain however. I couldn't help but enjoy dismantling the good guys team and levelling off of it. Then the endgame is you own the world/can do as you please.

20. Briggs

Briggs Well-Known Member

It'll get boring sometimes, I guess. It is really all about the journey, for me. I guess it really doesn't matter what the final out On my way! Is goin to be as long as I have a fun and challenging time getting there.