Santa hat in your avatar!

Discussion in 'Pointless Fun' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

Well, you can probably see that I've added a santa hat into my picture. I suggest that we all do it. 'Twould be cool :D
    You could do it yourself, even if you're good at it or awful at it. And if you're too awful at it, or don't know how to do it at all, I could do it for you if you post a decent sized picture of your avatar here, as well as any picture of a santa hat! :)

2. leddoesit

leddoesit Guest

i like this one, the xmas is coming, how to add it onto my avatar?

3. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

cool idea! how do you do it?

4. Skaara Dreadlocks

1: Simply, first off, search "Santa hat" in google and save the picture of a hat you like.

2: Then easily&quickly download&install Paint.net, which is like Paint just with a lot more tools. It's very good to be 100% free. I use it a lot, actually.

3: Open the picture of your avatar in Paint.net, and also open the picture of the santahat in paint.net.

4: Resize the Santa Hat by going to the top bar, clicking Image>Resize. Then you'll have you use your eye measuring to make the santahat be in the correct size to fit the head of the person in your avatar. Optionally, you can flip the image of the santahat Horizontally by going to Image>Flip Horisontal.

5: Click the icon for the Magic Wand tool in the left bar, or simply press its shortcut key: S. Now, you want to cut out the santa hat in three parts: The red hat, the white edge around the head, and the white ball in the end of it.
    When you've clicked on one of the three parts, there's a possibility that it cuts out some of the background, or the whole picture, or just half of the part. That is why there will be a bar in the middle top called Tolerance. Simply click anywhere on the bar to adjust how tolerant the magic wand shall be when you click again to cut. I, for example, used 55% on the red part and 39% on the two white parts to make the Magic Wand cut them perfectly.

6: When you've outlined the part perfectly, you press CTRL+C to copy the part. After that, you go to the top right corner where you should be able to switch to the picture of your avatar. Paste in the out-cutted Santahat-part with CTRL+V. Now, I do believe that your tool should be automaticly changed to the Move-Selected-Pixels tool, which is what you want to use to move the part around over the picture of your avatar. Optionally, you can hold your right mouse button on the part and move the mouse sideways to rotate it. Do the same with the two other parts, and eventually place them perfectly with the rest over your avatar. It might take a couple of tries, but it's pretty easy ;)

Or you could just splash on some colors with Paint, that works legitimatelly too :)

5. Jet Odessa

got lost after point 3.... :eek:

6. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I had already tried almost the exact same path as you, Skaara, but I couldn't get it to fit in my avatar. After all, the stalker's face is almost out of the frame :(

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Love the idea, but my avatar isn't designed for that. As you can see, only a small part of the hat would be visible. :p

8. Skaara Dreadlocks

This took me ten or maximum fifteen minutes, all three together :p You don't need to use them as your avatar, no need to care about that. I just wanted to show you that it's absolutely possible :D

EDIT: Oh darn, I just realized that I placed the hat on Darkbriner's avatar's mouth and not head xD

Attached Files:

9. Jet Odessa

I like mine! I'm gonna change it now. it's xmas!! thanx Skaara!

#9 Jet Odessa, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  10. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

*ahem*

What an awesome idea Skaara!

I'll shop mine sometime soon.

11. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I'll try to get mine done tomorrow. If it still doesn't work, I'll just completely change avatar until christmas.

12. Skaara Dreadlocks

Here, I tried again. Dunno if it's alright now :p You can of course do it yourself if you want to :)

Attached Files:

13. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

Santar'd :d

14. stevetheranger

stevetheranger Well-Known Member

my tech skills suck can you fix one up for steve

15. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

16. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Hehe, thanks, I'll use this one :D

17. Skaara Dreadlocks

Here ya go, pal! ;)

Attached Files:

18. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

Could you also help me with the santa hat? I have a new pic, but I'm not very good with those programs.

19. Skaara Dreadlocks

Here ya go, mate ;)

Attached Files:

20. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member