Quantcast

RPG Setting

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Sinfield, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Sinfield

Sinfield Active Member

Here's something that kept me thinking for a long time.
    What's better? A fantasy RPG, a realistic RPG or a sci-fi RPG? My personal favourite must be the RPG sci-fi scenarios, be it in space or on Earth, as long as it keeps certain aspects of our world, like Deus Ex.
    What about you?

2. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer fantasy RPGs, although sci-fi RPGs can be incredible when done properly. The same applies to all types of RPGs, though, and I won't decide to avoid a given RPG because of its setting, as long as the game is solid otherwise.

3. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Active Member

I like fantasy or post-apocalyptic RPGs. Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc. and my absolute favorite. I could never get in to the sci-fi RPGs, though I'm not entirely sure why. I just doesn't hold my interest.

4. Christian46

Christian46 Well-Known Member Regular

I used to be a big fan of Fantasy RPGs, and I still am to a degree, but I'd like to start playing more RPGs set in a modern, realistic world just to see what it's like.

5. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I like fantasy a bit more. Sci fi would be nice if not for the fact everyone's going for the Apple Store look.

6. Nolan Watt

Nolan Watt Well-Known Member

Sci-fi for sure. Preferably something in space with a crew so I can try my best to reenact Firefly and Cowboy BeBop with my crew. My name will be... Captain Spike Reynolds.

7. Briggs

Briggs Well-Known Member

I prefer fantasy rpg. The things that are possible there is exciting. And, because its fantasy, it is plausible for that world. It also has a better vibe than other kinds of games

8. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

I love all RPGs. Doesn't matter if it's fantasy, normal everyday life, or sci-fi in nature. As long as the characters are likable and the character and party grows the right way along with the story sure.

I prefer Fantasy, then Scifi.

9. lefttowrite

lefttowrite Member

Sci-Fi. The options are limitless and the technology some developers implement into their games for the niche is mind blowing. Fantasy does too, but Sci-Fi is more interesting because of the technology. It's clearly more logical than Fantasy, as well. Although I love futuristic settings, I can always dwell in the past -- way way back, into Medieval era. When the graphics are impeccable, it's hard to go wrong there either.

10. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

The setting honestly depends on the player's preference. Some people will like the science fiction setting while others will like the fantasy or realistic setting. I myself usually enjoy the fantasy settings or a twisted-reality setting when it's offered; though those are rather rare unless I want zombies; and I usually don't.

11. jayres

jayres Member

It is less about the setting and more about some usual quirk in the alternate universe. Too often, the alternate universe is essentially our universe in a different time period (with magic added). It is interesting to see something very fundamental change that has far reaching and unexpected consequences.

12. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

My favorites are Dark Fantasy RPGs. Not just fantasy, but dark fantasy, which incorporates elements from horror and such. Examples: Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Darkest Dungeon, Soul Sacrifice. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen kinda counts too (only the Dark Arisen content, the base game is high fantasy).

I wish there were more dark fantasy RPGs... at least the ones I mentioned are pretty excellent to keep me occupied, though. Hell, Darkest Dungeon hasn't even oficially come out yet, still early access, and it's already fantastic. Really looking forward to that one.

Other than that, I also like modern settings to some extent (like Persona) and I love post-apocalyptic settings (like Fallout or Shin Megami Tensei). They are more interesting than regular fantasy and I've never liked Sci-Fi too much. I only really like Sci-Fi when it's cyberpunk (which kind of mixes with the post-apocalyptic settings).

13. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

The fantasy ones are funny at times and makes you wander how things happened and like in Dragon age origins how everyone believes Loghain when he says the grey wardens were the reason of defeat at ostager and not alot was done to question him by others. At times there were moments like why did this person do this or this but the game is played from the characters view not from our view like in the real world. I think in the fantasy world the characters at times can be naive or also trying to justify themselves when doing something wrong.

14. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

I don't have a favorite myself. I can enjoy a scifi RPG as much as a realistic medieval one, and I definitely love me some classic DND inspired fantasy setting. So, the quality is what matters to me, really.

15. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I would love to have more cyberpunk RPG games to play as well as RPGs that have a Lovecraftian theme to it. I wanted to get The Secret World, but since there is no offline mode or single player, I refuse to buy it.

16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer all of those, honestly, as long as the gameplay is awesome and the scenery is beautiful. That being said, I'm a sucker for fantasy RPGs so if those will get more popular I won't mind! :D

17. MRZ

MRZ Member

Definitely fantasy RPG. Realistic just doesn't interest me too much from a gameplay perspective. As far as sci-fi I suppose I just haven't played the right game yet to get me hooked on them. :confused:

18. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I'd stick with a realistic RPG because I can empathize better with the characters involved. Of course this is completely a personal tastes and more obvious is that this is a totally subjective point of view.

19. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

I lean more to sci-fi or fantasy RPGs just because the storyline is much more interesting and longer than the normal. What you get is mixed bunch of characters and more maps to explore. Some games have an intergalactic plot or alternate universe plot.

20. lunaticred

lunaticred Member

I don't discriminate against any genres. I enjoy all games as long as there is something to enjoy about it. If there is something new or interesting about the game, I'll definitely love to play. I don't want to limit my experience, so I'm open to anything.