Quantcast

Role Playing Gaming Era

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by tinybutnotfangless, Sep 7, 2015.

1. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

If we look at the decades of PC and console gaming eras, people can debate about which was the most memorable, the most fun, the best overall, though some would argue that graphics are the most important, which honestly, to me, seems very odd. If I were to segregate each of the ten years since 1970, which of these decades do you think had the best overall RP games? Why would you think that and which games were good in your opinion?

- 1971 to 1980
    - 1981 to 1990
    - 1991 to 2000
    - 2001 to 2010
    - 2011 to now

For reference, here are the associated games per decade: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_video_games

2. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I've never played any RPG games before the 2000 I guess so I can't really judge them but I guess that the best one ever created can be surely labeled as "Skyrim". The reason is so clear that I feel like a weirdo explaining it... Just play it and you would realize what I'm talking about.

3. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I would say from 1991 to 2000 since that was the Playstation era and where most of the really creative RPG games were made, in my opinion. I think after 2007 was when the creativity well started to dry up and produce less memorable games to me.

4. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

2001 to 2010 was pretty cool. By then we started to see games in cooler graphics and deeper storylines. It was the year of the Snake, Tomb Raider, Pokemon, Assassin's Creed and Halo. There were a lot of other games back then too but these really stand out for their timelessness.

5. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

Lmao yeah I can't say much on this since Im so young, but gonna have to go with 2001-2010 there were a lot of inovative shit coming out and it really took a step forward.

6. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

2001 to 2010 was the era in which the best JRPG, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, was released. So I'm gonna go with that.

7. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I would say the mid 90's as games like Tomb Raider were released and this game had a female and you could do puzzles and also fight bosses in the game which were challenging and was a change in playing games as it was not an easy game, and you had to see what you were doing so you don't lose a life or miss the jump which can be easy to do in the game. I also remember playing Final Fantasy series and was a real nice series and you felt connected with the characters and also it was nice to see the story well written, and the boss fights were well done and you could make choices and think if you will win the battle or not which can be hard at times. In 2005 there was God of War a brutal role-playing game and set in ancient Greece and the fights can be hard as you are just a human and not a god at the moment and you had to think about your next move as it could get tricky at times and was nicely done and an enjoyable game for people who like these sort of games.

8. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

Hoo boy...91-00 was the era of JRPGs all around. So many great JRPG franchises cut their teeth in that era that it's unreal. You had franchises like Final Fantasy making it mainstream, Zelda (more action than traditional full on RPG but still counts), Persona/Shin Megami, Fire Emblem, and more. 01-10 saw the rise of RPGs from the West coming to the forefront and making a stand. You had games like Mass Effect, Bioshock, Elder Scrolls (sure they were around in the 90's but never really gained the mainstream traction like JRPGs did in that timeframe due to higher cost of PCs vs consoles) and more. Then there was the exploding popularization of MMOs in 01-10 with the advent of WoW despite the fact that Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot were older. 11-present day is just a continuation of what the 90's and the 00's created.

9. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member Regular

Well, I honestly haven't really played the truly obsolete ones. I think I played only the "2001 to 2010" one, and I can vouch for it. Definitely the best period.

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

2001 to 2010 was definitely the best period for RPGs. A lot of good games and franchises were born in that period of time, people still play them to this day.

11. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member Regular

I'd say 2001 to 2010, so many great franchise born in those period. A lot of them still have great pull today: Dark Souls, Dragon Age, Star Wars, Morrowind, Gothics, Maple Story, WoW. Not to mention the release of some of the best JPRG machine to this day: the PS2, PS3, the DS and PSP (wow hard to imagine all these system got released in the same decade).