Rift, and the search for a new/old MMO to play.

Discussion in 'Rift' started by shadegrilllock, Jun 7, 2015.

1. shadegrilllock

I have been lately (once again) searching for an MMO which I can get into, while I wait for a new round of MMOs to be released in the distant future. Over the years I've played many of the big ones - EQ, WoW, Rift, AoC, GW, GW2, SWOTOR, Archeage, and more, and lately I've tried really hard to get back into several of them. I know that a lot of people here know what this process is like.
    Finally I stumbled once again into Rift. Every time that I do, I'm amazed and surprised that it never became more popular than it did. I probably played it heavily for a year and a half, mostly for PvE and raiding. But I've been really impressed this time around how much development has been going on since I left. It's so huge and full of interesting features. I wonder why it is that it isn't busier. Do people just not like the art style? I always found it a bit off also, but I was able to get over it after playing for a while. The raiding in my experience (compared to WoW, for example) was always top notch. PvE was dynamic and interesting, far before GW2 came along with its more dynamic questing. It has a great gear progression and a post level-cap progression system as well. I'd be curious to hear what others who have tried it but not like it felt about it?

2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

I have tried to get into Rift a few times now, each time i've been unable to get into it, i mean, it looks good and the premise seems to be sound, but, it just wasn't fun to play, maybe the game just needed more variety or something

3. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

One thing I do remember from when I played before, was that the starting zone sucks so bad. I don't know if they've changed that, I haven't checked, but it was a real drag to make alts because of it. There is only one zone, per faction, which all characters start out in.

Come to think of it, I think FFXIV also suffered from a terrible start experience. You'd think with all the effort that goes into making an MMO, developers would really get this right.

Rift actually has a ton of variety in the actual world and gameplay, compared to most other MMOs I've played. How far did you get?

4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

Personally I loved rift but there's been a few things that have pushed me away from Trion since they took on publishing AA. First one is the false charges they made on people's account. Sure they were probably reversed but it should've never happened and they are still happening even though it might've died down. Second is the fact that every time they make a new update, they break something older in the game which is like....ok (sarcasm). In my opinion, they need to drop AA and focus more on Rift since they have direct control of it verses having to wait on a developer to fix things and Rift honestly has a better overall model than AA even though AA has better ideas.

5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

It's a well made carrot-on-a-stick game. You progress from one quest hub to another in order. Quest are chain quest making it so you cant play with the guy standing next to you because he is on a different part than you. It's forced solo unless you match quest for quest with some one. If you take a day off, and they play you would have to sync quest again.

MMOs should not be made like this !

Now it's F2P, at least to me I'll never go back no matter what they fix.

6. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that Rift is a really good game, combining elements of both WoW and Guild Wars. You should definitely check it out if you have nothing better to play. It is totally free and not pay to win at all.

thisnthat likes this.
  7. Vivi3030

Vivi3030 Member

I haven't played Rift in a long time, so I hope that it's still a solid game. I remember playing it years ago after some of WoW's new expansions turned me off. It was extremely fun to grind with friends and play some of the public rifts. I hope the game hasn't gone to hell because of the updates they've been rolling out.

8. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Member
    Regular

I think I like it because I am a bit of a loner when it comes to gaming. I am not on the game in order to play with other people. I just want to play. This is why I don't get really into a lot of MMO because I don't play well with others. LOL

9. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Rift hasn't been very good since it went free to play. That constant patches for micro-updates are annoying and seem unnecessary as well.

thisnthat likes this.
  10. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

I really don't enjoy linear questing like this, especially not if that's all there is. It doesn't sound very alt friendly, so thanks for the warning. I've been considering this game, and while I may still take a peek, this has definitely taken the wind out of my sails.

I'm glad to hear it's not p2w. I don't have a problem with a cash shop in a f2p game as long as you can't buy advantages over other players. Still, the linear questing is definitely giving me pause. How long does it take to level?