Recommended PC Game

Yidna

Hello everyone,

I'm a gamer who hasn't been heavily focused on MMORPGs. Ironically, I enjoy them very much. I was wondering if anyone could recommend one for me. I know this whole forum has a list of commonly played games like D3, WoW, Skyrim, etc., but I don't really have much money to spend and would prefer some free-to-play or lower cost games.

kelemenur

If you're also into online (MMO) shooters, I'd whole-heartedly recommend Planetside 2. It's free to play, with microstransactions of course, but you can get anything without paying a dime. If you manage to find a group to play with it's awesome!

gats

Regular
Runescape is a good choice is you want a light, beginner MMO. The grind is a bit boring on the free to play version but it doesn't take long before you can make a pure and go pking.

Yidna

If you're also into online (MMO) shooters, I'd whole-heartedly recommend Planetside 2. It's free to play, with microstransactions of course, but you can get anything without paying a dime. If you manage to find a group to play with it's awesome!

I've heard of Planetside 2 before. Unfortunately, I'm not really into shooters, and I'm pretty bad at them :(.

Runescape is a good choice is you want a light, beginner MMO. The grind is a bit boring on the free to play version but it doesn't take long before you can make a pure and go pking.

I'm thinking something more like an open-world Vindictus. I really like the playstyle of the game and I enjoy open-world games more than dungeon runners.

CrownedClown

I can suggest Neverwinter and TERA. Both games are free and are quite nice games, but PvE-wise they are more challenging because Neverwinter requires you to push/control adds around and in TERA you have to "aim" to hit the target.
Another option is to look for a cheap cdkey and get yourself Guild Wars 2 which is quite a nice game.

If you are looking for something less engaging try Aura Kingdom. It's open beta started recently and it's not a bad game IMHO.

DomDom

You can give Age of Conan a try! It was heavily marketed and made to be a subscription based game but tanked. Its probably pretty good as a f2p tho.

Yidna

I can suggest Neverwinter and TERA. Both games are free and are quite nice games, but PvE-wise they are more challenging because Neverwinter requires you to push/control adds around and in TERA you have to "aim" to hit the target.
Another option is to look for a cheap cdkey and get yourself Guild Wars 2 which is quite a nice game.

If you are looking for something less engaging try Aura Kingdom. It's open beta started recently and it's not a bad game IMHO.

Neverwinter looks quite nice. I'll probably try that. As for TERA's first impressing, it looked pretty stiff and not as appealing as the former.

Honestly, I like the challenge. MMORPGs that require me to basically sit there and repeatedly hit a few keys over and over again bore me after a while, even if they somehow managed to get me to try them.

You can give Age of Conan a try! It was heavily marketed and made to be a subscription based game but tanked. Its probably pretty good as a f2p tho.

Looks tolerable :O. I'll probably look more into it at some point. CrownedClown recommended Neverwinter before you recommended Age of Conan, so I'll be trying that first :).

CrownedClown

I don't think you will regret trying out Neverwinter. In my opinion it's the best free MMORPG at the moment. Of course that's just my opinion.
As for TERA I agree. The game is definitely stiff. What's more being challenging is fun, but do you know how ridiculous PvP gets when you are fighting someone and both of you can't hit each other haha. I've had fights where I'm fighting and elite mob and at the same time some guy is trying to kill me and for about 5 minutes he can't hit me once... :p

Yidna

I don't think you will regret trying out Neverwinter. In my opinion it's the best free MMORPG at the moment. Of course that's just my opinion.
As for TERA I agree. The game is definitely stiff. What's more being challenging is fun, but do you know how ridiculous PvP gets when you are fighting someone and both of you can't hit each other haha. I've had fights where I'm fighting and elite mob and at the same time some guy is trying to kill me and for about 5 minutes he can't hit me once... :p

Can you provide me a snapshot of what system specs are recommended for playing Neverwinter? I checked the download page for the specs and I'm pretty sure my desktop can optimally run it; I'm not too sure about my laptop though.
Desktop
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4GHz
- Radeon HD 6450
- 5GB RAM
(Yes, parts are a bit old, but functional)
Laptop
- Windows 8.1
- Intel Core i5-4200U @ 1.6GHz
- Intel HD Graphics 4400
- 12GB RAM
(The bottleneck pains me)

CrownedClown

Here are the recommended requirements:
Operating System:
Windows® XP, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
CPU:
Intel® Pentium® 4 at 1GHz, (Mid to High Range Dual-Core 2.5GHz CPU or better recommended.)
RAM:
1GB of RAM (2GB or more recommended for XP, 3GB or more for Windows Vista and Windows 7)
Hard Disk:
8GB Free HD Space
Graphic Display:
3D video chipset with pixel and vertex shader model 1.3 supported. GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB or ATI Radeon 8500 64MB or newer for Windows XP. For Windows Vista and 7, a GeForce FX 5200 128MB or ATI Radeon 9500 128MB or newer is needed.
Sound Drivers:
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Network:
Broadband Internet connection

From what I see there shouldn't be any issue working on your laptop.

Yidna

Here are the recommended requirements:
Operating System:
Windows® XP, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
CPU:
Intel® Pentium® 4 at 1GHz, (Mid to High Range Dual-Core 2.5GHz CPU or better recommended.)
RAM:
1GB of RAM (2GB or more recommended for XP, 3GB or more for Windows Vista and Windows 7)
Hard Disk:
8GB Free HD Space
Graphic Display:
3D video chipset with pixel and vertex shader model 1.3 supported. GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB or ATI Radeon 8500 64MB or newer for Windows XP. For Windows Vista and 7, a GeForce FX 5200 128MB or ATI Radeon 9500 128MB or newer is needed.
Sound Drivers:
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Network:
Broadband Internet connection

From what I see there shouldn't be any issue working on your laptop.

Yeah, I saw those specs on the page. I was just iffy about it because I don't know my graphics cards too well and the processor seems to be a major bottleneck; it can only run League at ~30fps at lowest settings and it's an inconsistent 30.

Thanks a lot!

CrownedClown

Yeah, I saw those specs on the page. I was just iffy about it because I don't know my graphics cards too well and the processor seems to be a major bottleneck; it can only run League at ~30fps at lowest settings and it's an inconsistent 30.

Thanks a lot!

Hmm if it's running League of Legends on low settings at 30 fps it might have problems actually which is a bit strange though cause your processor is fine the RAM is as well, but I guess the issue will be the graphics card. I assume it uses shared memory, though when I think about it with 12GB RAM even if it's shared there shouldn't be an issue...
Well anyway I guess the best way to find out is to test.

mauricioq

Regular
League of Legends is free. It can be a little hard to learn, but with the new tutorials and bots, will get the hang of it fast enough! And you'll definitely like it|

Yidna

League of Legends is free. It can be a little hard to learn, but with the new tutorials and bots, will get the hang of it fast enough! And you'll definitely like it|
Haha, if you read all the posts, you'll know I already play it.

Hmm if it's running League of Legends on low settings at 30 fps it might have problems actually which is a bit strange though cause your processor is fine the RAM is as well, but I guess the issue will be the graphics card. I assume it uses shared memory, though when I think about it with 12GB RAM even if it's shared there shouldn't be an issue...
Well anyway I guess the best way to find out is to test.

Yup, I tested it today and amazingly, it can run smoothly except for in town where there's a lot of people. Unfortunately, it takes about 15-20 minutes for the game to load and start up.

RMCMage

Tera and Cabal Online are OK games if you never played either I would recommend giving them a try!

CrownedClown

Haha, if you read all the posts, you'll know I already play it.

Yup, I tested it today and amazingly, it can run smoothly except for in town where there's a lot of people. Unfortunately, it takes about 15-20 minutes for the game to load and start up.

Btw the slow loading isn't your PC's fault. I also had slow loading, but as long as you can play I don't think that that matters that much :)
And it's not a surprise that it's laggy in the town... There are a lot of players and NPCs and generally most MMORPGs are a bit laggy in towns because of that :)

llllllllllllllllllll

If you are into hack and slash or love playing games similar to Dynasty/Samurai Warriors, Dragon Nest is the way to go. It is a free to play MMO with excellent combat gameplay. ;)

DomDom

Or if you are going to try a MOBA you can wait for the new f2p Blizzards game Heroes of the Storm. It looks like a blast!

Yidna

Tera and Cabal Online are OK games if you never played either I would recommend giving them a try!
I've tried Cabal a few years ago and got to about level 105 or so. It got boring at that point and the Combo UI moved from the centre of the screen to the top and that threw me off a lot. After that point, I just stopped playing.
As for Tera, I've noted earlier that the first impression wasn't too great :(.

Btw the slow loading isn't your PC's fault. I also had slow loading, but as long as you can play I don't think that that matters that much :)
And it's not a surprise that it's laggy in the town... There are a lot of players and NPCs and generally most MMORPGs are a bit laggy in towns because of that :)
Alright, thanks a lot!

If you are into hack and slash or love playing games similar to Dynasty/Samurai Warriors, Dragon Nest is the way to go. It is a free to play MMO with excellent combat gameplay. ;)
Honestly, I hate dealing with Nexon as their customer service is just terrible so I probably won't play Dragon Nest.

Or if you are going to try a MOBA you can wait for the new f2p Blizzards game Heroes of the Storm. It looks like a blast!
I think I'll just stick with League :p. I was looking more for RPGs anyways. Thanks though.