Recent Banwave

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by JohnBeaulieu, May 15, 2015.

1. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Well-Known Member

Blizzard just took action against over 100,000 accounts. Apparently it was directed at people using honorbuddy and those accounts can be used again after 6 months. I don't use bots personally so it hasn't affected me. What are your thoughts on this? Have you been Banned? Are you glad botters got kicked?

2. Michelle

Michelle Well-Known Member

I've never been banned, but my husband has been banned from other MMORPGs. Only one of his accounts (he has several) was banned and that was years ago. I think he was using some of kind of software to "warp" or something. I'm not really sure what it did for him, but I know he no longer uses it and is very much against that kind of cheating now. I don't really know what Honorbuddy is, and I've never used a bot or anything else for WoW. Personally, if they are cheating and manipulating gameplay in their favor to have an unfair advantage, I say ban them. The ToS are fairly simple in what you can and cannot do.

3. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hmmm... I've neever played World of Warcraft but, I'm kind of glad that botters got kicked. World of Warcraft is not what I consider to be primarily a grinding game. So now, there are less server resources wasted on people not actively playing.

4. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Well-Known Member

It turns out that it's not really a ban so to speak, but a 6 month suspension rather. Honorbuddy was the primary bot effected. Honorbuddy allowed you to automated almost any aspect of the game. I'm sure the gold farmers will just make new accounts and try a different bot until honorbuddy is back up. Years ago Blizzard and users of Glider had the same fight. Glider users faced detection and supensions a few times a year. This will get rid of casual botters automating questing and level professions, but the hardcore botters farming gold and items for real cash sales wont go away that easily.

5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

This was interesting because Blizzard was actually trying to protect players and not have to ban anyone but they recently lost a court ruling against Honorbuddy, so there was no way to stop players from using honorbuddy except to ban them.

6. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, that could be, the ability to play using gold rather than $$ probably changed their stance a bit. I just found it odd that immediately after they lose an injunction against a bot creator, the users of that bot are instantly suspended.

The funny part is that paying with gold is absurdly cheap. I was really expecting it to go to 100k because of farmers and just old players with huge amounts of cash. But the price in the USA is like 20k gold, and still there are more sellers than buyers. People are really lining up to buy 20k gold for $20.