Quantcast

Quick question about Skyrim.

Discussion in 'Skyrim' started by Jasmine2015, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

I don't mean to sound silly as I have never played Skyrim before but I have a question for those who have played it. A long time ago I used to see YouTube comments spammed with these jokes referencing skyrim. I saw things like I used to ( ???) Until I took an arrow to the knee. I swear Im not trying to sound like a troll or anything but I wonder is this some kind of inside joke? What happens in this game?

2. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

Yes. Basically, there are lots of guards in Skyrim, who are in charge of the different "kingdoms" in Skyrim. They all have like, 20 phrases that they say when the player walks by. One of which being, "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee." It's just become kind of a Skyrim meme, because the guards say it so often. Kind of like Legend of Zelda's Navi, "Hey! Listen!"

Fun fact: "Taking an arrow to the knee" is a Nordic phrase for "getting married". So, he used to be an adventurer, then he got married.

3. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

Oh wow. I never knew the getting married thing. That changes the whole meaning of that phrase, like before I tought the guy got hit with an actual arrow, this way it also makes more sense as I tought all of the Skyrims guards were crippled before...

4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

Thanks for the explanation. Now I'm not in the dark per se. What an interesting phrase for a game to put in. Now I wonder how many of these people knew what they were saying in those YouTube comments.

5. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

Yup. It's a very hilarious inside joke. It's basically a line from a NPC, particulary coming from guards. When you walk near them they would say a bunch of lines and one those lines happened to be that gem about the arrow. Made me laugh when I first encountered it.

6. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

Hmmm... equating marriage to taking an arrow to the knee. One of the devs obviously has relationship issues. To funny!

7. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

"Took an arrow to the knee" is a pretty old meme, but it's still funny to hear NPC Guards say it! Also, since "took an arrow to the knee" means "getting married", someone said it might be said that way because you (usually) go down on one knee to propose. And if you "took an arrow to the knee" you would probably fall to one knee, yes?

8. Nytegeek

I would probably just fall in general. It is pretty amusing, but the phrase predates the meme or the internet for that matter. Whats with the #leftswipedat avatar?

9. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I'm sorry, but what is a "leftswipedat"??

10. Nytegeek

It's #leftswipedat and you can do a google search since it is severely off topic. I probably shouldn't have asked.

I took a figurative arrow to the knee some years ago and don't do much trolling as a result but every now and then it slips out. :p

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

The quote "I used to ... but I took an arrow to the knee" resembles how a man gets married to a woman and he has to calm down. You can search on Youtube for something that's more in-depth.

12. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

The "Arrow to the Knee" meme is a really old one. It is actually based on the fact that it sounds really silly when a Skyrim guard says that, because he should actually say "An arrow in the knee", but apart from that, you hear this silly comment all the time when playing the game and in every city you visit.

13. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

Says who ? :D

14. Nytegeek

Um hello... read the whole comment. YouTube was cited as the reference.

15. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

I know. I was joking.

16. Kayla Bishop

Kayla Bishop Member Regular

If you talk to the guards they'll eventually say, "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then, I took an arrow to the knee." That's where it originates from.

17. Nytegeek

Read the whole topic before responding please.

18. Kayla Bishop

Kayla Bishop Member Regular

Reading close to twenty other comments? No thanks! That sounds like a huge waste of time. I was responding to the creator of the thread, not the people commenting on the thread.

19. Nytegeek

Okay, well if you want to join a discussion, which is what this was, you should at least read some of it. You just posted a redundant comment. You didn't even tag the OP or quote anything. You just did a topic title fly by. If you can't be bothered to pay attention to the rest of or even some of what has been said why are you responding at all? If you had you probably would have been able to say something useful instead.

20. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member Regular

I knew where it came from, but just now I came to know from this very discussion that "Taking an arrow to the knee" meant "getting married". Hmm... Its funny though that they didn't give the guards more personality.