Question about the Dark Ones

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Campaign Discussion' started by TheBoss0567, May 16, 2015.

1. TheBoss0567

TheBoss0567 Member

I don't quite understand the importance of the dark ones. Where exactly did they come from, other than the radiation of the surface? Why did the small Dark One help Artyom near the end of Last Light? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

There are some unanswered questions in Metro if I'm right, and I don't think we can give you 100% of all the answers, but we're your best source ;)
    As far as I've understood it, Dark Ones are simply mutated humans. Why they are mutated, and not the rest of humanity, I don't know. Maybe they were at a specific area where there was a special pocket of extra much radiation, who knows? As to why the small Dark One helped Artyom, well... It's a young and unexperienced Dark One, so it doesn't have the same hostility towards humans like an adult Dark One would. And as Artyom is the first human that the baby dark one was able to communicate with, it found interest in him and decided it'd want him to stay alive? I might be wrong though, and someone else (like Komodo), could probably give you a more satisfying answer :)

3. TheBoss0567

TheBoss0567 Member

Well that definitely helps. The game does have plot holes, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being stupid and missing them.

4. Spoilers:

The events of Last Light imply that they were created before the war of 2013 as a living weapon or a super soldier. They live off of the radiation, possess an array of superhuman abilities and are very hard to kill. Dark Ones communicate through telepathy, but it destroys the minds of most adult humans when they try to talk to them.

They found Artyom when he was young and managed to communicate with him successfully. They saved his life and let him go in hopes of establishing contact with the rest of humanity. Unfortunately Artyom either forgot or blocked it out of his memory and never did what he was supposed to do - become a bridge between two species.

When the Dark Ones came to humans they were treated as hostile and were slaughtered due to the effects of their telepathy. They tried reaching Artyom, but he was sent on a mission to warn Polis and request help by Hunter, a Ranger of the Order. They followed Artyom and helped him along the way, saving his life several times. In the canon ending they realized that Artyom simply does not understand them (False ending) or intentionally tries to destroy them (True ending, if the player makes a decision to eliminate them when presented with a choice) and attempt to kill him in self-defense by making him jump off the tower. This ultimately leads to the destruction of their Hive over the Botanical Gardens station.

However one of the Dark Ones avoided the missile strike and was saved by Artyom in Metro Last Light. Since the Dark Ones have shared memories, he remembered who Artyom is and what he did. The Dark One stayed around out of interest, but later saw a "door" in Artyom's mind from behind which someone called for him and decided to follow him further. It was eventually revealed with the help of Khan that the door was in D6 and the last surviving Dark Ones were hidden behind it in hibernation. They never woke up and would perish if left alone.

In exchange for their lives the Dark One helped the Order expose the Korbut's plans to capture D6 that turned out to be nothing but a giant pile of weapons, obtain the virus, spread it to other stations secretly and use that as a pretense to eliminate opposition and capture territory.

Since the Dark One can read Artyom's mind and see his memories, he might consider humanity worth saving and bring the rest of the Dark Ones to stop the Red Army attack. Or not, and simply escape with the survivors, leaving Artyom to fight alone.

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

Yeah, there you go ;)

6. TheBoss0567

TheBoss0567 Member

Dayum. I never caught on to some of that.