Power leveling: Good or Bad??

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by Tinkerbelle, Jan 14, 2016.

1. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've no problem with power-levelling your third or fourth character. Because at that point, you've most likely already experienced what the game has to offer before the max level. What I do hate is power-levelling the primary character. That doesn't sit well with me. Personally, if my secondary character is of a different profession, I tend not to power-level it, because, if I'm going to use my secondary character, it's better to get familiar with the gameplay mechanics and that can't be done when I power-level.

2. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

You should never power level in any MMO. All it does, is you ending up with a high level character that you have no idea how to use. The leveling process is there for a reason. You learning how to use your character for end-game raiding and such.

3. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't do this because I feel it diminishes the amount of enjoyment I get out of the game. Usually the way up is also part of the enjoyment for me so I try to enjoy it as much as possible because once I'm completely leveled up I'm left with not much to do anymore.

4. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

The fun is in leveling as much as it is endgame, too much stake put into endgame makes people want to skip leveling...the problem is repetitive and grindy nonsense that could easily have been cool material

5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

There are three big reasons to power-level

1. You want to play with your friends who are all at level cap. Pretty annoying to hear your friends talk about raiding while you are doing a quest at lvl 25

2. You have seen the leveling so many times you want to rip your eyes out. I have seen every single zone in WOW at least one time, and most many times.

3. You realize that most raids, with friends or with LFR do not have a long lifespan. Yes, they are always there, but it is almost impossible to get a group to do them, even in LFR. If you want to do a raid that is out now, if you dilly-dally and level slowly, it is possible you can never actually see that raid and definitly not to run it like a real raid with boss progession. At best you are going to get some mad rush dash through it in LFR with overgeared people and no sense or feel of what the raid actually was.

6. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

That isn't always or even usually true. A high level player has a different set of abilities and challenges than a lower level one. You have to learn to play it anyway even if you progressed slowly. A level 70 isn't played the same as a 100.

7. Chris_A

Regular

You are right, but let`s just say you get access to a fully leveled 100 level character, that you have never played before. You would have no idea what to do with it.

8. Nytegeek

Regular

It wouldn't take me long to figure it out. It wouldn't be all that much different then if I had leveled to 100 to be honest. The only way I could see your argument as feasible is if somebody started at 100 and was completely new to the game period.

9. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think WOW was pretty smart about this, they do not give you a max level character. If you quest, you learn enough, if you do leveling dungeons, they are so easy that even just doing your basic 1-2 attacks is enough to easily beat the dungeons. Even with boost, there is really no challenging content you can do with a completely new character. You always have easy content to level up with.

I also agree with Nyte. For instance with WOW.. 1-89 would teach you nothing that you wouldn´t learn from going 90 to 91.

Nytegeek likes this.
  10. Chris_A

Regular

Well, I guess I have been away from the game way to long. I think they completely changed the learning process in the game then.

11. Nytegeek

Regular

Not really. At least not in that respect. I have been there since day 1 and end game has always been a different world from leveling. If you never really got into raiding or end game content that required working with other players i guess you could miss the fact that you learn a completely new game at max level.

12. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Just a story about this, and to laugh at myself a bit. I started playing WOW about 6 months after launch, and I leveled pretty much blind. My first character was a moonkin.

At about lvl 45, I found the forums, and there were these huge threads complaining about the Moonkin ´melee to return mana´mechanism. Basically you did not regenerate mana hardly at all, but hitting stuff with your weapon would give you a nice chunk. Now as a leveling character, I used it all the time. You cast your nukes, you apply dots, and then you hit the thing when it got next to you and you were at full mana for the next mob. So I saw all these people complaining, and I started posting stuff like ´you are not doing it right´... Not realizing of course that in raids, as a caster you couldn´t hit bosses and they had no other way to get mana.

Nytegeek likes this.
  13. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree completely. Unless you already know the game I don't think it's a good idea to do this because you'll miss out on a lot of the small details that you need to learn to properly represent your level and you'll just end up hurting your character in the long run.

14. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

As a long time player, this is what we have been saying all along. Every player basically has two classes. One at level cap and one for leveling. You learn very little leveling that translates to how you play your class at level cap. In fact in many situations the things you do while leveling will drastically hurt you at level cap if you do everything you learned. It is one of the things many new players need to learn.. ´ Ok, you are at level cap now, just remove this and that ability from your hotbar and never use it´. You level by killing a ton of mobs in 15 seconds or less with little concern about things like mana or even health ( just heal after the 15 second fight).

15. StillWinning

Regular

Ya'll will see this kill the game. It's the problem, the fun is in leveling. People don't get it though, endgame consumes you after leveling makes you fat and happy from enjoying yourself so much.

16. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah it really does kind of hurt you in the end when you do this. It's why I never got the majority of complainers concerning elo which I guess would be the counterpart of this on MOBAs since even if you do get a higher rank ultimately you'll just suffer for it and get brought right back down if that's not where you naturally belong.

17. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's good, since it's pretty efficient if done correctly. That leaves you with more time to do what you enjoy in the game, be it raids or PvP.

18. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

Power leveling is good if you know of a very fast method and you have the gold to buy your own upgrades from the AH. Leveling through questing and dungeons is good for newbies that have no gear or gold.

19. StillWinning

Regular

I think you're missing the point brobro. It's not about being able to level faster, it's about the game missing a huge chunk of people leveling and imbalancing the leveling curve from player to player, totally changing what the game was...and the game was successful with the old model. Take something away that made the game good and well..

20. Nytegeek

Regular

You are assuming that you know what the best is for everybody playing the game. There may be a lot of content and lore, but you are going still to miss at least half of it just leveling in a normal manner. At least in most MMORPGs you will unless you go back and finish lower level quests. You may be interested having lots of other people at low levels so you can run old content, but that doesn't mean you know best what the point of the game is for everybody. The game doesn't end at level cap in most cases, it starts there in many.

#40 Nytegeek, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016