Playthroughs.

Discussion in 'Fallout 3' started by Oblivious, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have only played with a single character so I was curious as to how you approached the game. I am usually consistent in my choices, I explore the world thoroughly but I know I missed a ton of quests and interactions by choosing a single way of playing. I'd like to return to the game if I have the time and try a different "built" since I know that some interactions with NPCs are different depending on how you distribute your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. points.

What is your approach? How many times have you played the game from start to finish? Did you play more than once to discover more locations or try a different approach?

2. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

I have only played the game once, always said I would go back and play it again to discover more but never got around to doing it.

3. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've probably played Fallout 3 five or six times through, and I do things differently each time. I don't see the point in restarting the game only to do the same things you've already done. That doesn't make any sense to me, and branching out makes the game that much more enjoyable in successive playthroughs.

4. Typhon

Typhon Well-Known Member

I want to play it relying mainly on melee weapons. I hardly if ever use them. Maybe next time I will forgo all projectile weapons unless mission essential.

5. c0stell0

c0stell0 Member

This is actually the same mindset that caused me to create a couple of roleplaying characters to force me to play a different way! Tresdin was my first and was built around the mindset of a brawler and expert hammer swinger with a heart of gold. I, too, never played around with melee or unarmed weapons, and neglected my Strength and Endurance stats until the nearly perfect perk as I'm sure a lot of people it. Now I go around Shishkebob-ing my way to victory!

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I always played the game the extended way. By that I mean that I always wanted to explore and do as much side quests as possible, to get the full package basically.

7. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well the first play I go based on my own will (usually following the story), then the next game I'd start exploring. It usually takes me 5-6 games to be able to cover most quests and areas. But at one point I'd know like 90% of the game and only then I'd make my 'peak' character.

8. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Like with every other RPG game, I like to have at least two or three playthroughs and explore different options along the way. Fallout 3 was different for me since it not only allows you to switch characters, but also different play styles. I think that on my second playthrough I focused more on playing it like a FPS than a third person shooter like I did in my first one.

9. dabdab

dabdab Active Member

It's much more interesting if you tried something different every run, like the game offers you so many choices and every time you make a different choice from your other runs, you get to see another side of the game (no matter how minor) which makes the game more fun and fresh.

10. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've only done a single playthrough, but I've played it for hundreds of hours exploring every inch of the map, and doing every quest I could find. I've also done every DLC. :D

11. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've played through the game many times but it's always the same. I just can't bring myself to do anything different.

12. thatsgoodnews

thatsgoodnews Active Member

Just once? Well, you should play it thoroughly. The game is very interesting.

13. thatsgoodnews

If I would ask you to rate the two versions of this game (Fallout 3 and 4), which one would get more rating? (I would go for Fallout 3 because it's much more enjoyable).

14. thatsgoodnews

Well, you can watch several videos on YouTube and you can use them a guide. A single playthrough is not enough and that is why you should explore the game. :D

15. themusicliveson

I've only played Fallout 3 three times and I currently have no desire to replay it. I liked it well enough when I play it, but honestly I find it to be one of the weaker Fallout games. Especially if compared to Fallout 2 or New Vegas.

Also I really hate how everything in the game is tinted green.

16. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've only played through the game once. I had the idea of trying different builds when I first started, but the game is just way too huge to restart.