Ranger Pet changes you'd like to see?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2 - Profession Discussion' started by Knives, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Knives

Knives Well-Known Member

There has been lots of talk about the pets for the Ranger, clunky and unresponsive(not sure). What other problems are their with the pet system currently?

What changes are expected to be seen for the Ranger pet system and changes you'd like to see?

2. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

I'd just like to see them much more fluid than they currently are.
    Would be great if we don't run into pet pathing issues at release.

3. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

What the ranger is not...

Survivable as Guardian/War/Nec.
    Melee damage of the Thief.
    Melee versatility of the Warrior.
    Evasiveness of the Thief.
    Damage probably goes to the ele

They will really have to give the jack of all trades a niche or it will suck. In GW1 they were all about conditions, interruptions, and control. I want my D-Shot and a really bad ass whirling defense. They should make the pet programmable... this way when i use ABC my pet will do XYZ. This way i can stack spikes, conditions, rupts, and control rather than AI spam.

I hope they give the Ranger some love or I'm forced to do: 1-warrior, 2-thief, 3-ele

4. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt Member

I see, well couldn't the ranger spec to deal as much damage as any of the other professions if not more?

It would be amazing if they completely changed how the pet system works and they have their own twist to it making the game even more unique and awesome.

5. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

That would definitively be awesome to see. But if you were able to program them step by step then that'd be as if you had a bot so that's why most games have pets perform the same. I did like how FF 11 implemented the pets. They all had major attacks & each ability that the summoners pet did came directly from you.

6. Orien

Orien Member

Yes, FFXI had a great pet system in that their attacks were all castable abilities by you (excepting auto attacks).

Having a trainer for pets with skills to train as you level (or the pet individually) would be cool. And maybe have a skill set you can assign to it to have. So you could have a pen of pets all dedicated to serving different purposes: i.e. Bear = has dmg mit, a provoke/taunt, roar (mass fear). Tiger has more dps oriented lacerate, bite, etc. They could all be switched around like you could make a tanking tiger you just have to respec your pet. But each pet type (canine, feline, ursine, w/e) has its own set of available elite skills that fall into a specific category for that archetype. Like all cats could have a specific "pounce" ability that did great damage when attacking from the rear or when attacking from an undetected state, something like that.

So while you can make any pet type fill any sort of role they do have an elite skill you have to work to unlock that fills a specific role in particular.

7. Creed

Creed Active Member

I want to see pets more hearty and die less. My pets in wow can stand more damage than my pets in gw2. I want to see them have their own heal skill and less cool down. It really sucks when I have to use it to try and keep my pet alive and then I am s.o.l when I need it and have to wait for a cool down because I used it for my pet. Does not make for very fun game play. I want to see another skill for my pet aside their skill bar. In wow aside their skill bar you can get skills like Kill Command, intimidate, Beastial Wrath for your bar, I would like to see something similar to those that can be added to my utiliity bar. They don't have to be those particular skills just something I can use. Kill Command is a high spurt damage skill.. intimidate just cause the creature to keep fighting your pet instead of coming to you. Beastial Wrath cause your pets size, states, damage to increase for x amount of time. Also I would like to see when I attack I want my pet to attack immediately no hesitations like I have been seeing. I would like to see Rangers have a separate bar for traps and they should be separate from the other abilities.. Perhaps every x lvl gain a trap type. This is about it at the moment.

Creed

8. LGNSeawolfX

LGNSeawolfX Member

I like the idea of less micro for the pets, but they do definitely need some work.

9. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Just having pets attack when commanded would be a great start...

10. Vidiea

Vidiea Member

The pet was a huge downfall for me as a Ranger. One of the reasons I'm not quite as excited about the class as I was initially. I'd love to be able to customize how my pet acts and then have it be a selectable 'stance' instead of just aggressive/passive. I feel this would make him way more adaptable. In WvW I found the pet to be virtually unusable. I kept him on passive almost all the time unless I wanted to revive him every 6 seconds.

11. Skyler Hawkings

Skyler Hawkings New Member

Yeah, I agree that pets die pretty easily. When mine have died, I've kind of just left them like that because it was such a hassle having to constantly revive.

12. vVvSeiryss

vVvSeiryss Member

I would like to see more freedom of control over our pets, I'd like to control when my pet uses its abilities instead of just managing its "special." With spiders this feels more relevant because I'd like to control the web ability as well.

13. andy103

andy103 Active Member

I noticed my Pink Moa tends to be pretty glitchy. It often will just walk around while I'm in battle despite having full health and me commanding it to attack my target. I want the pets to be a little more responsive if nothing else, and maybe improving some of the pets' special abilities.