PC or Console?

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Nickey22, Aug 13, 2013.

?

PC or Console

1. PC

61.1%
  2. Console

3.7%
  3. Both

37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Tell that to my desktop that still isn't able to run Starbound since the devs reported they were able to run it on an old computer but my computer that met the recommendations couldn't run the game for all of it's worth. Mind you, I'm able to play Skyrim on the computer with a couple of mods on medium settings and it is more ram and graphics heavy than a pixel game. Hell, Terraria runs with ease better even after the updates so they have no excuse and it was a good thing I received the game as a gift instead of me purchasing it.

2. SecretlyTaco

SecretlyTaco Well-Known Member
    Regular

Bethesda engines are always more CPU heavy than anything else. Minecraft is a weird one because it's written in java, which runs its own VM so always wants more ram

3. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

True, but it still doesn't get Chucklefish (the name of Starbound's developer) off the hook. If those two games can run well and it isn't like I have a top of the line computer dedicated to just pure gaming, then what the hell is their deal?

4. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is a never ending battle between console and PC users. I personally own both of them. Both of them have their drawbacks and upsides. For example, PC hardware can be updated easily but consoles are a lot cheaper in comparison with the performance.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, while I love how convenient it is to place a game in the console and have fun with some friends, the gameplay and quality of all the games is lesser than on PC, plus you have endless possibilities on the latter platform.

6. jviloriab96

jviloriab96 Member
    Regular

For me it depends on the games you want to play. For racing, fight and plataformers, I definitely prefer my Xbox. For RPG and MMO there's nothing like a nice PC. Even more, considering that many of the best MMORPG are PC exclusive

Nytegeek likes this.
  7. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I agree that for most MMO or MMORPG titles are for the PC and best played on the PC. Even the ones that are available on console platforms have bigger communities, more support and more options on the PC versions.

8. Kalabrink

Kalabrink Member
    Regular

PC games are the best. You don't need to worry about buying a new console every couple of years or so just to play the game. Good multiplayer roleplaying games are on the personal computer. In some cases, you can even play newer games on older computers. I would chose PC games over console any day.

9. m0ldy

m0ldy Active Member
    Regular

PC master race here. If you want more power, more game compatibility, more useful non-gaming software, better graphics, freedom to upgrade individual parts, then go PC. If you dont know much about computers and dont want to learn, go console. Also, if you like gaming from your sofa like I do, you can use a wireless mouse and keyboard or long usb cable extensions.

10. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

You can't categorically say that all games for the PC are better and be correct. Different genres and game mechanics suit well to different platforms.

11. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member
    Regular

The PC has the best potential, sure, but it'll typically require a much bigger investment. A console will provide you with a great "sitting on the couch and chilling" gaming experience, although Steam is trying hard to provide the PC gamer with the same thing.

Sure, as @Kalabrink said that you don't need to buy a new console every couple of years (by the way, the Xbox 360 has been around since 2005... I guess 11 years and counting is "a couple"...) but you need to keep up with the hardware, which means a new video card... which is the price (pretty much) of a console, or a little less depending.

Anyway, I'm a PC gamer mostly, but I also have some love for my console... so I'm both. :)

12. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member
    Regular

I use both, but a bit more sided with consoles. I'm one of those people that think that emulation will never be the same as playing games in the real thing.

13. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

I would honestly rather play on a PC, because I am far more comfortable with a keyboard and mouse then I am with a controller. But a console is cheaper and more accessible, and there's more compatible games with it. Also, computer get outdated so quickly, and it's so expensive to either buy one or even make one. (Though making one can be cheaper sometimes.)

14. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I much prefer the PC :p Better performance and image quality with every single game. :p

15. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's true in theory, but a lot of people (myself included) can't really afford new graphics card or processor every few years or so. Heck, I'm still playing my 2006 Xbox 360 and the PC I bought in 2008 for triple the money can't run even basic games the come out lately. Sure, 360 doesn't have too many new games either, but I'd say it had a solid 7-8 year run. So yeah, I'll definitely take quantity over quality when it comes to games.

16. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

Both! PC is preferred because you don't always constantly need to buy a new one or 3 of them every time the companies that make them decide it's time to upgrade lol!

17. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've had experience with both consoles and pc. I think general usage and more roundability wins for me. I mean, the consoles can only do so much, netflix and music. My pc on the other hand, can play retro games emulated, most recent games, steam exclusive games, mods, work on my scripting, work as my kindle, music, videos, and so much more. I realise that there are exclusives to the console, but right now I can only afford a pc and I'm more comfortable using the PC even if I do use an xbox controller while gaming.

18. tony

tony Well-Known Member
    Regular

I use my PC more often to play games, the fact is I have not been using the console but would like to explore this device too. As it stands now I would say I prefer the PC to any other device since I'm used to the computer more.

19. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I honestly prefer console due to the fact that it is just easier for me to control.