Quantcast

Paragon or Renegade?

Discussion in 'Mass Effect' started by Scurventery, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Scurventery

Scurventery Member

Did you play as paragon or renegade? It was a lot of fun going the renegade route a few times (punching that reporter comes to mind), but I had to max out my paragon bar. It just felt wrong not to be the good guy.

2. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I'm a good guy so I always go with Paragon choices. I tried playing Renegade once but couldn't stand myself being evil so I switched back to Paragon. I also don't like how Shepard looked playing Renegade.

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Their isn't to much difference between the two besides a slight change in story and quest items, but out of the two I prefer choosing Renegade as well.

4. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

I definitely chose Paragon, I get more out of the story that way I think, even bonuses you might not have gotten if you went Renegade

5. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Right, I think there were paths that are only available to you if you play as a Paragon. I might be wrong on this since it's been a couple of years since I touched Mass Effect.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

I honestly don't know... probably went more Paragon. The game world managed to get me into it so well that I made all the choices exactly like I would have made them in real life.

7. Jordanoyo

Jordanoyo Active Member

Paragon all the way, when I play games like Mass Effect I feel as if I'm actually in the game making the decisions. I guess I'm just not a renegade.

8. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I chose Paragon. I could never play raunchy/questionable/shady characters. Though at times, I do, just not in ME.

9. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Well-Known Member

i made a bad ass female shepard and went renegade for one game, i normally go paragon it just suits my own personality better but renegade is always cool!

10. huckfinn

huckfinn Active Member

On my first playthrough I always go the Paragon route, but I've also played through the games as Renegade. For some reason playing as Paragon feels more like how the game is meant to be played, but I have to admit that playing as Renegade is a ton of fun. The delivery of some of the lines by the voice actor is just perfect.

What I like about Mass Effect is that playing as Renegade is actually a viable option. In games like Baldur's Gate you could technically choose to play as an evil character, but this really limited you in a lot of ways. Also, I think they did a good job of portraying the fact that Renegade Shepard is still essentially a good guy, he just has kind of... questionable methods. This is very different from the KOTOR games for example, where your choices were either completely good or completely evil (e.g. either you give a beggar some credits, or you throw him off a building).

11. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I played mainly as Paragon, but used many Renegade choices also. It does not really matter so much, because you can get so many good guy or bad guy points during the games, that being a bit bad when playing Paragon or a bit good when playing Renegade, is all cool. You would still max out your path of choice.

12. KKrage

KKrage Well-Known Member

I don't remember well, but I think I usually went for the Paragon choices.
    Sadly, earlier in the gameplay I just put random stuff, either renegade OR paragon. I had no idea what I was pressing until lately.

13. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Paragon, but I occasionally felt the need for a renegade choice..

GamerPerson likes this.
  14. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

My first playthrough is always a "choose what I would do in this situation", so I'm basically always playing a Paragon-type character, though I did make a few Renegade choices. I've heard a lot of people say similar things to the above; that it's surprisingly fun to go all-out Renegade, and that it's not equatable to evil. I think that's a little too generous; I would call some of the choices quite immoral, but I am interested in playing a more neutral character. Annoyingly however, if I remember correctly, if you're somewhere in the middle, you miss out on a few options which require a radical morality (or whatever it's called).

GamerPerson likes this.
  15. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

I agree with you on that, even though, I only got around to punching al Jasnee in the 3rd, just to see what the big deal is. I just played the game on the context of: "How would I react to this situation?" ,which was almost Paragon. (Unless it came to shooting that ONE Krogan in the 2nd one...Y'all know who I'm talking about. Also, kicking Loghain was fun...Oh, wait, wrong game; right company? Doesn't matter, still made me feel better. :) )

I TRIED playing as Renegade, eh. It just felt more like I was being a jerk off rather that a bad ass. :/ Didn't like it. Reminds me when you just go around killing people in Dragon Age just for the hell of it.

16. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

That Krogan on Tuchanka in ME2, anyone? XD
    KOF.PNG

17. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

Paragon, I hate to be evil when it comes in games. Can't stand it. I always like to be the good guy in games.

18. JoshuaLausberg

JoshuaLausberg Member Regular

On all my three playthroughs of the saga I went paragon. Just doesn't make sense how the 'savior of the galaxy' would be a renegade character. Plus a renegade would have joined Cerberus in their endeavours. Shepard does not do renegade.

19. RumbarBrook

RumbarBrook Active Member Regular

I have always played every "moral choice" RPG as a good guy first, since I find it a bit easier. After playing through all three Mass Effect's, I decided to do a Renegade. What I didn't know is that you "had" to kill of my favorite party member in the third game, given they didn't die in the second game's final mission. After finding that out, I decided not to do a renegade run.

20. mett1982

mett1982 Active Member Regular

I always go with the paragon choices. Maybe it's because I'm a good person that it is hard for me to play a bad character. I have played the Mass Effect series through 4 times now and I never choose the renegade route. I just feel that isn't Shepard's character. I have seen many videos with the renegade options and some things like punching the reporting in the face seems like fun. But I think my Shepard will always do good.