Thief Overview

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2 - Profession Discussion' started by Unknown, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

The Necromancer Profession in Guild Wars 2 derives its identity in their dark arts, draining life and energy of enemies, and summoning the dead. The Necromancer stands as a balanced caster with a large pool of support skills such as Marks and Wells, but also capable of withstanding the most critical fights with a secondary form upon death called Death Shroud that uses Life Force. As a Necromancer, you must effectively manage your Life Force and minions, and weaken your enemies by inflicting conditions and drain their life.

Read the full overview here: Thief Profession Overview

Type any feedback/thoughts here regarding the profession or overview. :)

2. FatCheeseMan

FatCheeseMan Active Member

Another well done overview. Thank you for the interesting read.

3. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

Nice writeup. Just one note that the link here in the forums works but the link on the home page takes you to the Necromancer page.

4. Unknown

Thank you, fixed! :)

5. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

The subtext in the first post is misleading. (still ref. necro)
    I like the skill listings... i've not seen em all in one spot like that.

At about 3 minutes and again at the end you see some really cool hit and run.
    Good Korean Theif at about 3 mins
    [video=youtube_share;z2p1aSax3to]http://youtu.be/z2p1aSax3to[/video]

Bad Korean Theif at about 3 mins
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAITjKJusw&feature=related

6. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

uhh nice thanks for the video, havent seen this one yet :D

7. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Awesome man, thanks for sharing. Hadn't seen this video either. I'm pretty sure i could of played better. - Very interesting play style too, thief is looking a lot more interesting.

8. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Sounds to be very hit and run from what I've read. Keep in mind that play style might be less useful in a group setting. I'm thinking in groups WvWvW your either jumping the back line or dual pistols for ranged damage. One other note here is that i understand ranger can do some of the best high spike ranged damage with better survivability.

This was going to be my primary class but due to limited versatility I think ill make this my first secondary class. Besides there will be tons of theives and it will likely attract noobs who will play poorly due to the complex nature of the class. (theiftard stereotype incoming) This still looks like loads of fun and extremely unique play style you don't often see to this degree.

WvWvW will need it's share of stealth gank squads and i hope to get in on that as well.

9. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

So what is your primary class now? I'd really like a thief just to join some kind of gank squad in world PvP, I love ganking :O

10. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

Shadow Step in with pistol Dagger combo -> Switch weapon to dagger dagger -> 2x death lotus attack thingy -> shadow step back stealth out of action -> no one even knew you where there.

well thats what i was planning to do anyway at some point. :cool:

11. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Playing with the builder and comparing to the profession overview notes from the OP this seems to very generically sum up the weapon COMBO's below. You can compare the detailed description from guildwars2pc.com's in depth skill review and match it with the builder more or less.

Dagger/Dagger: highest damage
    Sword/Dagger: more control from cripples but lower damage
    Dagger/Pistol: hybrid mostly dagger (more damage?)
    Pistol/Dagger: hybrid more hit and run (less damage?)
    Pistol/Pistol: Ranged damage

Unfortunately i feel like the hybrids will be a must have to hot swap and survive.

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en

edit: oh yeah and strait from the OP's overview notes the shortbow definitely appears to be AOE with a bit of control.

12. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I'm leaning to the warrior because it seems to have the greatest versatility with a huge collection of weapon options. Survive-ability, controls, buffs, limited ranged damage, and (trickier but possible) dps.

The other one that may become viable is ranger. Big spike damage here, nice 1 on 1 capability but I'm going to wait and see what they do with the pet. A'net has openly said they will be making some changes to this class. If they bring back more twitch based interrupts i may have to take this as primary.

Thief is a must have for me in there somewhere.

1. Warrior
    2. Thief
    3. Necro
    4. Mez
    5. (Ranger)

13. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

Like the new thief overview.

14. Unknown

15. Cathhstix

Cathhstix New Member

Awesome overview!

1 person likes this.
  16. Beastmode

Beastmode Member

I think I would have to go with dagger/dagger for big dps then swap to pistol/pistol for range capability when my enemies are trying to flee!