Quantcast

Overrated RPGs

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, May 12, 2014.

1. Brady2121

Brady2121 Well-Known Member

The entire Final Fantasy series. I've just never been able to get into the game, which is surprising considering the large amount of people who enjoy the game.

2. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

FF7 is overrated. 8 wasn't my cup of tea. 9 doesn't get enough love in my opinion. I guess it's because the main character was rather lighthearted and a prankster versus being all broody and angsty. Final Fantasy is overall an enjoyable franchise. There's some overblown hype but there's a reason why it exists. The games told entertaining stories and had loveable characters.

3. Golden Sun for GBA. It was called one of the best games on the GBA by IGN and Gamespot but when I played it I got bored within the hour. The storyline seemed boring and unimaginative, battle system was dull, enemies were dull and the game just failed to capture my interest. Just seemed like another copy of Final Fantasy which I didn't like very much either. Still clueless as to why it was such a popular game.

4. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

Well I personally really liked X-2. It was the last Final Fantasy that I can make that claim for. Personally for me the most overrated game would be either Guild Wars 2 or Diablo 3. Neither of them had the depth or customization that their predecessor games had. To me thats a major step backwards.

5. Briggs

Briggs Well-Known Member

I say world of Warcraft is the most under rated. People have no idea how fun this game is until they try it themselves, and then they're addicted lol

6. lefttowrite

lefttowrite Member

Runescape should count so that. Ever since the updates that have been ongoing since 2010, the whole project has become abysmal and there's literally no fun for people who liked the original mechanics. They switched everything up, the game looks more choppy and the graphics are sort of tacky. Obviously the old graphics were outdated, but they could've done a better job. Moreover, on the gameplay and PvP action, it has gotten so stale and repetitive. Maybe it's growing older, but other games have more intricate fighting mechanics. I will give it that the facet of economy isn't terrible compared to other servers, but it's based off of playing a long time, and again repitition.

Final Fantasy isn't terrible though, found it funny that they did a remaster of a remaster lol.

7. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

A lot of people hate 7. I love it, still do - the steampunk start story mixed with the outlying fantasy was something that wasn't really touched on before it, even in the other games. There had been steampunk, and fantasy, but never mixed so well. It either was full-type of steampunk or none at all. So it was fun for me. I'm not like those rabid fanboys though, I find 8 to be better, and 10 is my favorite (the fuck happened, 10-2? I was disappointed).

But for overrated games, WoW hits the nail. I loved it for what it was, but it was not a groundbreaking MMO. It had all the tried and tested tropes. It didn't try to break the mold but because of the demographic they aimed it at, and the graphics, it caught on like a MineCraft Fire.

Aside from that, Runescape and most browser MMOs are hyped. Or I have to agree, Skyrim. It was fun. But it wasn't what everyone made it out to be.

8. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

X-2 is basically a 'fan-service' game and was pretty much marketed as that. So, lots of the reviews rated it under that assumption. Though, I do find the game to be just as overated as 7 is. At the same time, I do enjoy the game for it's outfits and...that was pretty much it.

9. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy 7 and 10 are overrated.

FF7 I can understand because that actually was a very good game and it was the one that made the series main stream. It just got more credit than it should have. But FF10 was pretty lame and it even spawn a fan service like sequel. FF10 deserved none of the high praise it got.

10. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

I can't help but agree to both calls. I remember very well all of the over-hype for seven and the peer pressure people attempted in order to get me to play it; nothing doing though; I did play it years later only to wonder why on earth people were so happy with it. As for 10 and 10-2, the outfits and the outfits alone are what grabbed my attention; virtually nothing else.

11. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

Honestly, the outfits and the way the commercial presented itself is probably what got me to purchase X-2 as well so you're not alone there.

The problem is now Final Fantasy as a series is less about the rpg and more about graphics and marketing.

12. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated rpg ever. But the game was awesome, I'm not denying it, it really is a good game.

13. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

I'm gonna state an unpopular opinion here, bur Mass Effect. The fact itbwas marketed as a proper RPG abd instead was a little more than RPG ibspired action game definitely didn't get my love. Maybe if it wasn't so misrepresented to peoplenby marketing and reviewers, I would have liked it more..

14. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

I loved 10. And I think it deserved all of the high praise it got. However, I do not feel it warranted a second game. It felt nice and closed up and I don't think they should have went that direction. But it had it all - sweeping vistas, a decent plot, and one of the best minigames in BlitzBall (sunk so much time there) there that it would be a travesty to call it anything less than awesome. But this is the beauty of the internet; we can all agree to agree, or agree to disagree.

I'll agree to disagree.

For me the most overrated games are Gears of War and Call of Duty. Notice they are both first person shooters; I did not do this on purpose. I love first person shooters as much as the next guy but they just felt overhyped for no reason. I liked their stories, and I liked their online play, but I do not feel they deserve the huge following they currently have. I fail to see replayability in stories like that. Or online play that's all lag hacking t-baggers.

15. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I reckon it was Zelda Ocarina of time it was on the Nintendo system, it was released in 1998 and was a game which had a fantasy feel to it, which made it nice to play with friends and at night as well when relaxing. The environments were made well and had a good camera system and the boss fights were designed really well in the game which was nice to see, and the story was written well for gamers and enjoyable. It did have some back- tracking to do at times and sometimes you would get lost when playing the game which would annoy me at times.

16. I'd have to say WOW is the most overrated RPG. It's okay, but not what everyone made it out to be.

17. obliviousme

obliviousme Well-Known Member Regular

World of Warcraft i think. Not going to lie, it's such a really addicting game with really beautiful graphics and such but for me it's just another RPG game. I know there's so many RPG games out there that's so much better than WoW, say Runescape for instance. Hands down rs is the best. :)