Quantcast

Overrated RPGs

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, May 12, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Ever played Final Fantasy X-2? I thought that it was going to be a great RPG as the reviews bordered on the 7s and 8s. But when I tried it out, I wasn't even able to last for more than 30 minutes! The game was as boring as watching weeds grow. X-2 shouldn't have received above average ratings. It should have just received a 5 out of 10.

Aside from X-2, what other RPGs do you think are overrated?

2. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Final Fantasy 7. I don't even hate it as so many of its detractors do, but the fanbase is really annoying by calling it the best RPG ever. It's not that great and there's even better Final Fantasy games, but a lot of people are nostalgic about 7 since it was their first JRPG ever so I understand their love for it to some extent, but damn they're obsessive about it...

chronomantic likes this.
  3. lindbergh

I think you're absolutely right. I did enjoy FF7 but I didn't feel like it was THE greatest of all time. I think the story is quite corny and is not up to par to other RPGs in the same era like Xenogears and Chrono Cross. I feel like FVIII and FFIX were a lot better than FF7 graphics wise, story wise, and gameplay wise.

4. beki

beki Active Member

I think the best RPG is the one you value the most. No one will always agree with you about it and that is fine. What you like I might not, but that does not mean that all games are the best, it means they just appeal to different people sometimes.

firelily99 likes this.
  5. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

I got to be honest here, I never play Final Fantasy 7 before.
    Well, to be clear, I never have "first-hand experience" >_>
    I got a older cousin who was playing FF7, so all I did was watching him play the whole time.
    It's a good game, at least from what I see.
    Also some might say that Advent Children was only a fanservice movie with no plot, but I still think it's amazingly done!

6. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member Regular

The Final Fantary series all together, for me at least. I never picked up a Final Fantasy game and enjoyed it. When I tell people this they act as if I killed their first born child, lol.

7. lindbergh

Yeah, okay we get it Mr. Doctor of Philosophy. We have our own opinions and taste in everything. That's why I'm asking you for your opinion. What RPGs do you think are overrated? RPGs that others tasted highly but you disagree with?

chronomantic likes this.
  8. firelily99

firelily99 Member

I have yet to play any of the Final Fantasy games and I don't think that I ever will. Its just a genre that I can't get into. Love the graphics and a lot of other things about it but I just don't want to play the game.

9. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy VII
    While it's a good JRPG there are much better JPRGs and even better Final Fantasy games. I think only so popular since it was so many people's first rpg.

10. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy VII. I'm really tired of hearing about it..

11. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

"Being good" or "great" is relative to the individuals involved. So I don't think any game ever has been overrated, unless it was deliberately overrated. You also have to realize that game review sites like Gamespot, IGN and PC Gamer employ writers that have to look at the game from different aspects and angles, instead of basing it purely on personal feelings. Personal feelings is what many gamers base their ratings on, while writers/editors base it on the design and mechanical merits of the game itself.

12. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

I agree. I think Final Fantasy 7 is probably one of the more overrated RPG's. I mean it's good and I like it as much but I don't really it's that kind of game that would be deemed as the greatest RPG of all time.

13. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

I totally agree with the original poster. I also expected more of the final fantasy but after playing it for a while it was a bit of disappointment for me.

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

I think it's a matter of preference really, but for me I think the Final Fantasy series has been a major victim of being dubbed as 'over rated'. The games are good but they're not really phenomenal, even Final Fantasy VII being dubbed as a the 'greatest RPG of all time' is a bit over the top.

15. hamz10

hamz10 Well-Known Member

Skyrim, I hate that game. It's so boring after 2 hours of playing. Everyone says it's the greatest but all the quests are pretty much the same and they are boring!

16. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Final Fantasy VII? Fantastic RPG. Best ever? Absolutely not.

17. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Well-Known Member

This is a very good question and a very touchy one at that. I say the most over Hyped game has to be FFVII sure its an amazing game with an unforgetable story and technology/gameplay far ahead of its time. But Its not the Best ever or the greatest. I say that FFVIII had a better story and battle system.

18. I ended up hating Everquest. At first, I thought the graphics were kind of interesting, but the game was very tedious to me after a while. Travel was waaaaay too slow and it got on my nerves after a while. Even when travel was slow in WoW, there were some fairly interesting ways to speed it up.

19. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

Personally, I DESPISED Final Fantasy 13!

After playing it, I felt disgusted with the fact that the main character was such a ***** and particularly entertained the thought of genocide, if it was to complete her Focus.

I hated the main characters, I hated the controls! If you die, it's game over...DESPITE you having two other people with you! The combat was boring and the story, right, I'm sorry, THERE IS NO STORY!

Hate it with a burning passion. I'm ticked that game got so many high praises!

20. Primalclaws1974

Primalclaws1974 Well-Known Member

World of Warcraft. The best thing it has going for it is pretty landscapes and nice backdrops. There just isn't enough variety to keep me interested long-term. When it came out, it had some of the best graphics of the time, but that is not it's claim to fame anymore. It is more "average" now. With recent adding of garrisons, they are attempting to get into player housing, but it's not the same as real housing for games.

Kevin MacBride likes this.