Quantcast

Open world RPG with the largest map.

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by William Quah, Dec 31, 2013.

1. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Which RPG you played has the largest open world map? Right now I belive it's Skyrim but I might be wrong. Do you think RPGs will benefit from having huge maps?

2. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

I think the largest map is from this old school Elder Scrolls game: Daggerfall. I think huge maps are great, provided you fill them with stuff. If it's all empty or randomly generated, then there's not really a point and it doesn't really add anything of substance to the game.

3. William Quah

Yes, huge maps have to be populated by things to do or explore. It'd would be best if there are randomly generated missions across the map to keep things fresh.

4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I would defiantly say one of the Elder Scrolls titles I would say Skyrim, but it's the only one I have really played so I am not to sure.

5. William Quah

After a bit of poking around, I think the largest map goes to Elder Scrolls Arena. The map was freaking huge but it's also empty and boring.

6. Orz

Orz Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to say Skyrim but I'm honestly really not sure, a lot of the bigger areas are tucked away and might not be recognized as "Open world", it is huge though.

7. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Skyrim by far dude.

8. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member Regular

Technically it is Minecraft, but here is a list of the largest ones compared by size in miles.

[​IMG]

And for everyone saying Skyrim, Skyrim's map is actually rather small compared to the older Elder Scrolls games.

9. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

That pic mostly consists of games that aren't open-world RPGs... but I guess it does show that Daggerfall wins?

10. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

Daggerfal is not only the largest RPG, but the largest game, in any genre.

11. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Daggerfall is freaking massive eh? Freaking bethesda breaking records before anyone else gets the chance to come close!

12. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

As some of you already mentioned, larger maps are only good if they are full of interesting things! For example in Entropia Universe the world is HUUUGE. As in multiple planets which by themselves are already ridiculously huge.

The problem? 90% of the map is just "go here to hunt this mob" with no other use.

13. William Quah

Daggerfall is 62,ooo miles? That's freaking huge! I knew that Daggerfall was huge but never thought it was this huge. The comparison picture just blew my mind.

14. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I never played Daggerfall, but that sounds amazing on how big the map is I defiantly have to play it before ESO comes out!

15. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

when you say huge what do you mean, because sure the scale of the map will say hey 400 square miles, but how much of that space is actually explorable? I think that Skyrim is one of the games with the largest maps in terms of Explorable and Roamable locations, also Fallout 3 has alot of Explorable locations as well...

16. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

The Entirety of Daggerfall is explorable..

17. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, it's too bad the gameplay itself is boring, repetitive and hard to learn. It had the potential to be a more in-depth Second Life but decided to be a lame WoW clone with no real content. Just an empty wasteland of nothing to do.

18. Psybe

Psybe Well-Known Member

On console, Skyrim, and I guess on PC it's minecraft.

19. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

While Daggerfall has indeed been confirmed as the biggest RPG and game ever made, the huge map is randomly generated with a few key locations that are scripted. So you cannot really compare it to Skyrim, for example, which has most locations hand made and scripted with specific events.

20. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I really wish they made a remake of Daggerfall. That was an epic game. All I want from the new Daggerfall are improved graphics and effects, up-to-date music, better game controls and mechanics and refined story. Other than that, keep the same game play.