Quantcast

Oblivion or Skyrim?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by AlecD, Feb 6, 2014.

1. meta_mach

meta_mach Active Member

The shouts I think are what makes them to easy. The shout that paralyzes a dragon makes it seem like your swinging a sword at a tree. Eventually that tree is going to come down even if it is the strongest tree in the forest because it can't fight back. Combat has never been a strong point in Bethesda games though. I play them for the immersion.

2. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Agreed, I play them also for the immersion, the story and the huge amounts of things that you can do. Bethesda games can keep you occupied for months if you let them.

3. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member Regular

They're not so easy on harder difficulties, but then they practically one shot you which just feels cheap and isn't an actual challenge. The real problem with them is their tendency to just get distracted by other NPCs or even get killed by them, stealing your kill. That, or they just fly off into the distance much faster than you can run, then they disappear forever. It's anti-climatic. Plus the way you defeat them doesn't feel very epic. Why would a wyvern ever land to fight someone when they clearly have an air advantage?

4. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

They kind of explain that when you get the Dragonrend shout later one, but true, at lower levels it doesn`t make sense that they land. Also, the fact that they just simply fly off is really annoying, happened to me too many times. They should have put in a handful of very powerful dragons at key moments in the story and let you fight them as it was meant to be. Epicly!

5. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member Regular

There is actually a mod that fixes most of the problems with dragon combat.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32597/?

It gives them limit breaks, makes their landing knock you over, etc. Much more exciting and epic than the vanilla combat.

6. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I agree dragons are actually damn scary if you don't believe me play on legendary mode with deadly dragons mod activated and see how long you last.

7. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I played Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls before Skyrim, their dragons make the ones in Skyrim look so lame. Dark Souls has some very interesting and unique dragons (Seath and Gaping Dragon) and excellent combat.

Dragon's Dogma has one of the best combat systems ever which makes fighting the wyverns, wyrms, drakes and THE dragon feel extremely intense and epic (the amazing soundtrack helps it too).

Really, one of Skyrim's biggest flaws, in my opinion, is how awful the combat is. It's not like fighting is rare in such a game, so I wish they had made it better. It's quite telling that people have to resort to mods on PC to make combat interesting.

Imagine a game like Skyrim with Dragon's Dogma style combat, I bet many would say it's the best game of all years.

8. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

For me it was certainly Oblivion. I didn't play Morrowind as it wouldn't run on my computer. When Oblivion came out on the PS3 I was so happy as I knew it would run fine. At first I didn't like it. I couldn't get my head around the First person perspective. It wasn't until after I started playing my Guild Wars monk in first person that I returned to Oblivion and realized just how awesome the game was. When I first played Skyrim it looked amazing, but there really wasn't anything NEW about the gameplay for me so I wasn't overwhelmed like I had been with Oblivion.

9. Briggs

Briggs Well-Known Member

Out of the two, I'd pick Skyrim. Oblivion is ok, but I never had the desire to go back to it a second time.

10. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Well-Known Member

Skyrim's the best one for me. It offers both the better graphics and story.

11. Burt Povski

Burt Povski Well-Known Member

I'd say Skyrim is better, but that's just my personal preference. I pay a lot of attention to the graphics, and graphically, I feel like Skyrim beats Oblivion. Oblivion isn't that bad either, but I prefer Skyrim over it.

12. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

True Elder Scrolls fans know that Oblivion is the superior game.

13. krab007

krab007 Member

Personally, I think Skyrim is a lot better than Oblivion. I used to mod Oblivion to hell and back, giving it cute cat girls with skimpy bikini armours and whatnot, because I had zero respect for the vanilla game. In contrast, I've been mostly sticking to "lore-friendly" mods for Skyrim, because I wanted to preserve the essence of the base game.

14. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

Skyrim all day. I like to explore the open-endedness of it, and this is the only game which managed to fulfill my needs. Oblivion... nah, not that much. It was also probably caused by the fact that graphics wise it was lesser.

15. obliviousme

obliviousme Well-Known Member Regular

Oblivion all the way. I really think it's way better then Skyrim when it comes to the RPG side of the game. Seriously though, i was blown away by Oblivion when i first time played the game. :)

16. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

Skyrim has a better world, and the graphics are obviously much stronger. However, I do think that Oblivion has a much stronger story and general sense of immersion. Skyrim is all fetch quests and fighting draugrs. Oblivion at least has some creativity. I enjoy Skyrim more overall, though.

17. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

Oblivion and Skyrim both had weaker combat than I would have liked. The story and immersion factor of both games was solid though. If I has to pick one vanilla game over the other though, it would have to be Oblivion. I just felt so much more at home smashing Daedra than dragons.

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Oblivion was also a really good game but Skyrim definitely is the best for me between the two. While they both had some problems with their combat system, I loved the story and atmosphere of Skyrim.

19. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

Skyrim is probably the better game but I put so much into Oblivion it was just so good!

20. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member Regular

I prefered Skyrim. But that's not to say Oblivion wasn't a great game. I think it was the added element of dragons among other thing's that gave Skyrim slightly more appeal. Either way, both were great games.