Quantcast

Oblivion or Skyrim?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by AlecD, Feb 6, 2014.

1. AlecD

AlecD Well-Known Member

So which do you prefer? Personally I liked Oblivion more, and feel that Skyrim was just Oblivion with a new skin and slightly different storyline. The interfaces in Oblivion I feel were simpler and easier to navigate. Or maybe I just didn't like Skyrim because of the DAYS of playtime I had already put into Oblivion. Who knows. Thoughts?

2. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I never liked Oblivion. To me, it felt shallow. If you asked me of all the ES games, which would I like the most and/or had the most memorable experience, it would be this:

1. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    3. And Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire

3. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Skyrim but Oblivion is a better RPG though. I don't like the lack of RPG elements in Skyrim.

Krisibelle likes this.
  4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I heard Oblivion is way better, but I have yet to play it so I can't really say, but I have heard that their is a cool mod for Oblivion to make the graphics almost as good as Skyrim which is cool!

5. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I'd choose Oblivion because of the impression it gave me when I first played it. I've never played something so "special" before. Oblivion blew me away more than Skyrim.

6. thrix

thrix Member

I don't think that there is a debate here. Skyrim all the freaking way!

You guys are just nostalgic about Oblivion. Skyrim beats it in every single aspect, even in the ones that don't matter. I would rather watch the intro of Skyrim for hours than play Oblivion again.

7. Wick99

Wick99 Well-Known Member Regular

Oblivion. The story was better and while it held your hand moreso than Morrowind, Skyrim just feels that way from the beginning.

8. t0rnad0

t0rnad0 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Skyrim much more than Oblivion. I thought the story, characters, and the world were much better in Skyrim.

9. AlecD

AlecD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, but I still have to go with Oblivion. The gameplay was just far more immersive, and, as a previous poster said, special. Very few games blew me away like Oblivion did.

10. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Well-Known Member

i like oblivion for different reasons, both were phenomenal gamesthat i dedicated way too much time in thats for sure

11. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I don't even like Skyrim that much due to various reasons (combat especially) but I find that Oblivion has nothing to beat Skyrim.

The lame combat and insanely repetitive voice acting alone are enough to make the game very annoying, both things which were improved of in Skyrim to some extent...

Of course, I haven't managed to dive deep into either game so I don't know if things such as lore and story are better in one over the other, which I think matter a lot to more hardcore TES fans.

12. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I think I can say that all the Elder Scrolls game have been great for different reasons I have watched some lets plays of Oblivion and looks like fun the only reason why I have yet to play it is because I don't have time to sit down and really get into it.

13. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

For me, Morrowind was the best Elder Scrolls game, close second would be Skyrim, with Oblivion way behind. I have yet to play the older ones, like Daggerfall, though.

14. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Some people really bring up Morrowind all the time in such discussions, was it that good? I tried it for a bit but I got pissed off due to the awful random hit chance...

15. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member Regular

Skyrim has better music (more adventurous and epic) and waaaaaaaay better magic, but it's a lot more repetitive. It also has much better looking NPCs and faces. Unfortunately you start out as a celebrity rather than having to earn that fame like the other games, though this is easily fixed with mods.

Oblivion had better gameplay and much better quests. Skyrim's quests are all boiled down to "Hey man, go clear out the draugr in this cave and I'll give you money." In Oblivion you felt like your heroic actions really had an impact on the world around you. Oblivion had the oblivion gates also, which were much more entertaining than the dragons of Skyrim.

I prefer Oblivion. Skyrim is a cooler experience (especially with mods) but Oblivion is a better game and has more replay value

16. Delusional

Delusional Well-Known Member

I played both and Skyrim was way better. I really like good graphics so this is already a big plus. I also played Skyrim a lot longer than Oblivion.

17. Chris_A

Yeah I heard that from my friends also, they hated the hit chance at the beginning, but it is not random at all, you are just very weak when you start as a new character. Once you level up some fighting skills, you won`t have any more problems. For me, Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game so far, because of its awesome story and because your player character is one of the most important people in all of Tamriel. It all feels very epic. The nameless, random Champion of Cyrodiil dude that you play in Oblivion feels shallow and boring in comparison. But its just my opinion.

18. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Well-Known Member

I liked Oblivion more than I did skyrim mostly because Oblivion was the first Elder Scrolls game I had ever played and it blew me away. It had more lore involved if that makes any sense. I still play Oblivion to this day and will probably play it until the day I die lol. Once you add some graphic mod's to Oblivion it really beats Skyrim in my personal opinion.

19. meta_mach

meta_mach Active Member

Oblivion is the better game when it comes to actual RPG elements and story. When it comes to exploration Skyrim is the better game. That makes it hard to choose an actual best. But if I had to choose I would go with Oblivion. It was much more immersive than Skyrim ever was for me. I was kind of annoyed that dragons are so easily defeated in Skyrim as well which may be part of the cause.

20. Chris_A

Agreed, one of the bigger faults of Skyrim are the Dragons. After they promoted the game for years, promising epic dragon fights, they reduced them to the status of trash mobs. I mean, you get to kill your first Dragon at level 1 or so, and afterwards, they just pop up everywhere, and you can defeat them easily for good loot. Not very epic in my book.