No Man´s Sky postponed

Discussion in 'No Man's Sky' started by Azrile, May 31, 2016.

1. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

The game was supposed to launch near the end of June, but a ´will be postponed´ message went out yesterday without giving a new date. There seems to have been some confusion that made it seem like it was only being postponed a day or two, but that was caused mainly because of the initial launch dates for different regions being on different days. It appears now the delay will be at least a few months.

I am not a fan of this game. The big premise is cool, an infinitely large universe to explore. But there seems to be very little actual gameplay or things to do other than just fly around. The thing that really sets of my spider senses were how coy the devs were about even describing anything related to gameplay... anything other than talking about the procedurally generated universe was basically ´shhhh, it´s a secret´.

It is essentially a single player game with no competition... that just screams ´wait until a month after launch to buy until you see real player reviews´. $60 is a lot to pay for a game from an indie developer on their first game.

2. isthismad

isthismad Member
    Regular

I agree with you. $60 is a lot.

3. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, idk about this game anymore. I really hope they do something with it, but I'ma buy it either way. If it sucks, I'll just keep it longer and pay that $60 off 10 cents a day, who cares. Exploring is at least fun enough.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's too bad but judging from how they wanted to release it I can understand why they ultimately decided to postpone it. Hopefully they fix it to make it better before release because at this point it doesn't seem like it will sell well.

5. StillWinning

Regular

I think it's going to sell well, I just don't think people are going to like it...that's a way worse scenario. At least if it sucks and nobody buys it, nobody knows...

6. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not too bummed about it. Hopefully they're putting in some extra polish to make the game especially good!

7. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, it is guaranteed to sell well beause they basically sold the IP to EA in exchange for help promoting the game. It is like Blizzard, they can make a very bland and copy-cat game and just because it is Blizzard, they are going to sell a ton of copies.

8. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

It might be a good think, if it gives them time to fix bugs and such before launch. Things like these just go to show that the devs really care about the game and are afraid of releasing an unfinished product.

9. StillWinning

Regular

Yeah, you can tell they're pouring it on for this one. I have to imagine the people on the team are really invested into the concept considering how thoroughly they explained it, not like a salesy type pitch at all

10. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, that's to be expected. I mean, the game is really massive and I rather play a polished game than to play not completed game just like the other games like some Triple A games out there.

11. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

You're right. It's much better to get a game on a later date than get it early when it's unfinished or buggy. I find that sometimes there really is disaster going on behind the scenes and it is cause for worry but most of the time it's just a regular delay necessary for polish.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not too familiar with No Man's Sky and I'm looking into getting the game, but I don't think a small delay is the worst thing in the world. They probably have some bugs and issues that need to be ironed out and they need more time.

13. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

To be fair, this is not their first game. It's their first super ambitious, big scale retail game though, and I agree with the point that I'm not entirely sure it's worth 60$. I am not sold on the gameplay that's been shown of the game so far... The world is vast, and might be interesting to explore, but is that going to translate into something that is fun to play?

In the end, I'm glad for the delay. It'll hopefully give the developers the time they need to improve the game and polish it up.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well at a certain level I think that I am okay with this, but like you said, it really does make me question whether or not it is worth $60. I love to explore and this one looks particularly good for it, but it would seem kind of empty if there were no other features, or if they were unimpressive, so I would like to see a bi more. I guess we shall see, though.

15. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well after reading the impressions and feedback from people who have played the game maybe it needed to be delayed for longer, sheesh. I'm still interested in the game, despite all the negativity around it but not for 60$. No way.

16. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don´t think so. I cannot support that level of dishonesty from devs. The lead dev was talking about features only weeks ago that aren´t even in the game. I understand that features need to be cut, but once you announce and talk about a feature like the faction battles and multiplayer as much as he did, then if you do cut that feature you need to make an announcement.

This ended up having the gameplay of a $5 survival game with a $60 price tag.