No love for the BoS?

Discussion in 'Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel' started by cassidy, Jul 16, 2015.

1. cassidy

cassidy Member

I see how the game was seriosuly different from the first two installments and perfectly get how some of the fans might not like it. Pshew, I don't like it all that much myself.
    But looking at BoS with a level head, was it really that bad? Did it deserve the bad rep it got?
    I think I mostly don't like it because it was not a "true Fallout" game, but on its own, it wasn't really that bad. Or was it?

2. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I tried to get into playing this game, but I just couldn't find myself caring too much for the story. I liked it better when I was just a nameless wanderer making a name for myself out in the wasteland with all the freedom that it entailed.

3. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

BoS, I think, was just a dumbed down version of Fallout: Tactics for consoles. I`ve never played it, but I heard only bad things about it.

4. atlantasports

atlantasports Well-Known Member

I haven't played it, either, but I have only heard the things you have heard as well.

5. atlantasports

atlantasports Well-Known Member

I just think that it was rightfully given a bad name due to the fact that Fallout diehards and casual fans both seemed to not enjoy it. I still haven't played it, though.

6. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Member

I did not try this game. I was thinking about renting it from Game Fly to try. I am happy that I was able to read this thread and get some feedback on how the game pans out. I like my Game Fly membership, it makes for a great gaming night with family and friends. We go through an pick games we want and when the nieces and or nephews have a sleepover we enjoy games and having good times.

7. Chris_A

Regular

I don`t think Fallout, as a franchise, works on consoles at all. It has always been a PC exclusive and should remain so. BoS shows what happens when you try to port this game to consoles.

8. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, New Vegas in on the console and that's a pretty good game. The only thing the PC versions have going for it are Mod supports for the game. If the developers put their time and energy into it, I think they can make a game work on any platform despite whatever limitations there are, at least in my opinion.

9. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I didn't hate or love BoS. It was nothing special, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever laid my eyes upon. I wouldn't recommend it to many people, unless you're interested in getting your hands on every Fallout game ever made.

10. Chris_A

Regular

While I totally respect consoles for what they are and also, their exclusive and very awesome, titles, I think devs should keep traditional PC games to the PC. Anything else is just blatant cash grabbing, in my opinion.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's not entirely true. From what I know all the consoles are limited to 1080p (4k is just a stretched out 1080p) so the limitations are definitely significant if you're talking about high-end hardware.

12. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Member

Yeah PCs have many advantages.

I watched a review of BoS and it looked just like a bad game. No interest in playing it, so yeah, no love here.

13. LIGHTSOUT

LIGHTSOUT Well-Known Member

Don't bother with it. Some people confuse it with Fallout Tactics (which, in my opinion, was great), but the difference is that BOS is repetitive and extremely different from the other Fallout games. I don't know whether or not it would stand on its own, because it doesn't try to stand out on its own. It's not something that comes to mind whilst playing, either.

14. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Both the reviews and the playthrough videos suggest that it's a bad game, so I won't be bothering with it personally.

As for Fallout games not translating well to consoles, Fallout 1\2 and fallout 3\4 almost completely different genres. Isometric RPGs like the former don't usually translate well to consoles, but given enough care it can work. Look at the Wasteland 2 The Directors Cut edition - what was originally a pc only game was ported to consoles, and they have done a pretty good job( and I highly recommend anyone to give this game a spin).

15. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member
    Regular

I haven't bothered to play this. From what I've heard it's terrible and as mentioned by alexd above, the reviews and the playthrough videos suggests that it's a bad game. So yeah I really just stick to New Vegas when it comes to Fallout (in general).