Nice fun game, but abilities kill it for me

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by tomorrowdreamking, Jun 8, 2015.

1. tomorrowdreamking

Been playing mmos for several years. I guess you could say I'm more of an old schooler. So I bounce around like most forever searching. With that I've been playing Guildwars 2 on and off since release.
    What's different about GW2 is given a few months away, I actually get a big urge to play unlike most other mmos that I quit and never come back too. I wasn't able to put my finger on exactly why I could only play this one for more than a few days until last night.

Abilities are just soooo boring......I played a Necro to about 54, a Warrior into it's 20s and just made an Engineer to around 10. Sure 10 isn't much, I understand I'll get turrets, grenades and bombs and such. But for now I'm filling up my left hot bar with rifles and pestles abilities. I get an auto shoot, scatter shot and some kind of knock back blast shot. To me there all really the same, just press a button and watch the animation......Playing my Necro and Warrior were the same reflecting back. Yes, you can change things in and out BUT ITS STILL JUST PLAN BORING FOR REASIONS THAT I CAN'T EXPLAIN !

Being an old schooler, things like dynamic events and story lines are usually hated by me, but I actually like this stuff and the world, it's just combat is my problem....Boring.
    I'm more of a PVE player that likes to group. I'll tell myself, some day I'll really give PVP a good chance. In fact I'll watch PVP Youtubes and they make each class look so exciting the way they have so much analyzed out to stay alive against several players at the same time. I would love to stick around and try. But when I try to put this into action I get board before I get started.

2. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's pretty much the thing about Guild Wars 2. There a lot of weapon types to choose from (greatsword, axe, etc) but you are limited to what abilities you can use for that specific weaponset. It's just how ANet wants the game to be. The game right now is specifically designed for PvP rather than PvE as well, answering your other complaint.

3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

I am not gonna say your wrong because gw2 does have less skill per class compared to other mmos, but by your character levels you havent touched the "hardcore" pve content yet. 3yr in and i havent mastered full engie rotation yet (fire fields+blast finishers, sharpnel granade, etc).

Also don't forget to TRAITS! they what give life to your class gameplay.

My only advice is to not force yourself to like something, theres plenty of games out there for everybody tastes(GTA V for pc now :D) Gw2 is pretty "casul" so no need to rush there.

4. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

I have played also GW2 on and off since the beginning. I'm not playing at the moment but I have 3 characters at 80. Warrior, Guardian and Ranger. I haven't played Necro but I've tried engineer a bit and they have a somewhat special playstyle, either you hate it or you love it. It wasn't my cup of tea so I didn't get very high with that class. But my experience from my other 3 characters is that leveling up to 40 is a bit boring and slow, after that things get better since you are starting to get enough trait points to make some serious builds. The leveling will also be alot faster as you go, the last 10 Levels goes really fast as the last few zones award alot of xp from hearts and events.

The combat in GW2 requires you to watch the monsters and recognise their animations so you can dodge their attacks. This type of combat is very action oriented compared to the "old school" mmos and I know that some of my friends really have a problem With this kind of combat system, so maybe it just isn't for you. Anyway I really encourage you to get a Warrior above 40 as they have a lot of great builds both for range and melee and have the fastest map movement with charge skills from greatsword and longsword.

That you are a pve player that likes to group can be a bit off putting as in the world basically everyone is in the same group, so you will see a lot of players that just wants to solo and not socialize. But there are good guilds around if you want to be social and get some of the harder content done.

I'm currently not playing GW2 as I miss some sort of meaningful character progression at max lelvel after I get my characters decked in exotic gear. But it is still one of my current 3 favourite mmos together with WoW and SWTOR. I am also what can considered an old school gamer as I was gaming on the Nintendo 8-bit in the eighties

5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

You can pvp any time you want to with any level character. Pvp isn't level or gear gated. Maybe trying out characters in pvp where they have all their skills unlocked (i think) you will see whether you like the classes potential?

GW2 has quite a deceptively complex combo system. The engineer and the elementalist in particular have some extremely powerful and difficult to pull off combos.

6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

If by boring you mean lacking relative depth then I agree. I didn't find the abilities and the game in general boring at first, they cover it well with flashy graphics, but since it follows the predictable modern MMORPG trend of not wishing to overwhealm the short attention span generation with more than puddle depth in skills and dynaimcs, it's natural to find these games dull after a short period of time if you are used to the early MMOs of yore. I forsee this trend getting worse in coming years (besides the odd novelty throwback) the tendency is for increased simplification in games as time goes by (although not an MMO obviously, I recall spending an entire sleepless night trying to find ONE lever in the first tomb raider game before the internet was easily accessible, do you think anyone would put up with that kind of difficulty again?). Sure games will get flashier with more shiny bells and whistles but the days of dizzying EQ2 layers of hotbar skills are gone methinks.

7. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Well-Known Member

The new expansion and trait reworks will maybe bring some depth into the game, but we don't know when either of those will go live.

8. tubestud

tubestud Well-Known Member
    Regular

If only they had kept the skill system from Guild Wars 1. I understand the need to make it simpler in order to attract more players, but there's nothing keeping them engaged.
    Hopefully the new expansion will change things around a bit.

9. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

You also have to keep in mind they were trying out a completely NEW revolutionary skill concept for EACH class due to what weapons they wielded an where they were wielded in (offhand, mainhand) so they had to design the game around it. I love their simple system.

After playing TERA a fair bit and experiencing their storyline, GW2 feels more or less on the same page but less restrictive. And due to this freedom it takes away from class feelings of progression or having to deal with the same skills you've used since level 10. This isn't a bad thing in my eyes though, since I have played MMOs since 1997-98 and Ultima Online.

These systems seem awesome and not dull, considering the locked class based skills most games get (or even gender locked classes, which I despise - like having to be a FEMALE something or a MALE something just to be a class). In this respect again, at least GW2 was ahead of the curve.

Thing is though if you want open world combat/actively moving/not needed to be locked on to something or auto-attack o or auto-spelling it, even if the abilities and skills are redundant and overused it's still WAYYY more intuitive then any other MMO I've played. I've even used some of my warrior abilities (like the dual axe/sword) for the Leap to close gaps in jumping puzzles or move me around the terrain as well. It might be stale after 80 levels of using the same comboes, but that's why they gave so many different weapons for so many different skill sets.

That's just my take. What really killed it for me was little to no endgame content aside from WVW, and the occasional dungeons/fractals. They just lacked ending content.

10. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I think the abilities are great, I don't think it lacks anything at all really. I mean it is what makes the game more unique than others, the abilities system and how it differs and how there are a variety of options to choose from, too little action bars down there.

11. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

Indeed. The fact that even a caster could use a 2-handed greatsword for a different skillset then a wand is just simply amazing and very innovative.

12. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I loved that feature.

13. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Actually the skills are the the strong part of GW2 and one of the most interesting aspect of the game. The fact that you change skillset depening on which weapon you're wearning to me is something really cool and never seen before.

14. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I agree with you.

15. grinder

Do you play GW2 too?

16. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Yes I do. What do you think of the new patch?

17. grinder

I just started playing it actually and I like it a lot so I don't know the big difference that this ne pathc has brought but as for now I can't complain the game.. I really like it, hope this opinion of mine about the game will be confirmed even in the future and I won't get tired of it any soon.

18. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

I feel that this game is unnecessarily hard for beginners who are just starting out. It's been 2 years since I last played it so I don't think if this applies anymore, but it was just rough for me to level up in those harsh conditions...

19. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don`t really understand what you don`t like about the abilities. The game is designed to be really user friendly, where everyone can be a healer, tank or dps. regardless of class. Also, the fact that you can actually dodge and use your abilities actively is also very cool in my opinion.

20. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

They streamlined it to a very intuitive level rather than bog it down with redundant and useless skills like WoW. Sure there's no 3 min CD hot button or whatever but if you really think about it just how many actual abilities do you use in a standard mmo? 2-4 button rotation with a CD mashed here and there. Anet understood that and decided to give players the additional option of weapon swapping to change up the standard 2-4 button rotation to 8-10 skills depending on the situation at hand.

That being said I think you're not playing the right class if you want a metric crap ton of abilities to burn through. If you like complicated and lots of ability mashing then elementalist is what you should be gunning for. They don't weapon swap but they have 4 elements to cycle through and since there's 5 abilities per element that's a total of 20 to mix and match. Dagger x Dagger is a bit of a glass canon but loads of fun if you can master it. Staff's boring as hell.