Quantcast

nееd hеlp! I lоvе this gаmе but hаvе nо wаy tо plаy it...

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by Goodman, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Goodman

Goodman Well-Known Member Regular

I
    Sо i rесеntly fоund this gаmе оn YоuTubе. I wоuld lоvе tо plаy it mysеlf but I'vе nеvеr bееn а Pс gаmеr. I'd likе tо gеt а lаptоp tо plаy сivilizаtiоn оn еxсlusivеly. I hаvе nо idеа whаt tо gеt аnd littlе tо zеrо knоwlеdgе оf whаt tо аsk fоr аt thе stоrе. а dеtаilеd list оf whаt i nееd аnd hоw muсh it shоuld соst mе wоuld bе grеаtly аpprесiаtеd. If this is nоt thе fоrum fоr this rеquеst I аpоlоgizе.

2. jasonr299x

jasonr299x Active Member Regular

Civilization isn't a very intense game to run. It mostly relies more on the CPU more than the GPU, which tend to cost more. You can probably get a cheap laptop (~$400) and run it pretty well, albeit on low settings.

You can go to Google and look up "Civ 5 Specs" and look at the minimum requirements. There should also be recommended computers or laptops that you can buy with similar parts, unless I'm thinking of a different website. As I said, the game isn't very hard to run, so any laptop should be fine. If your budget is extremely tight, you can get an Aspire One, or any old laptop for that matter, and just play the game in strategic mode. This mode turns the game into a top-down board type of game, rather than a 3D game that you see most people playing it as. The game will be exactly the same, the only difference would be the graphics. This mode basically trades graphics for optimal running speeds, so most people would be able to play it. The mode is actually specifically made for people in your situation that are unsure of what to get, since they'll be able to run in the game with almost any PC. Good luck!

3. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

Hello there Goodman, hopefully, you're having a great day.
    I've had the same problems as you in the past, the thing is that I do not really have a high gamma PC which I could use to play that kind of games but when a friend of mine gave me the Civilization V key I did not really care about the specs whatsoever, I just went straight to the install button and started playing it, everything was good until the clouds started to show up, the whole game froze and I figured it was because of my wooden PC, so yes, you might have a wooden PC as well, if you really wanna play this game you should try to upgrade your PC in order to run it and many other games as well, the store's technician should be able to guide you on whatever your tastes might be, so, give it a shot.

4. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

If you don't have any knowledge about computers it's better to ask someone in a store to help you. Don't go only to one store, go to various stores and compare what they say. What can hinder your choice is your budget.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Civilization V isn't a game that needs a lot of power to run so you'll probably be fine with an average computer, just make sure you have enough RAM so the game can render properly (it tends to get quite heavy on the load at times). Look online for the system requirements.

6. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

That's what was messing up with me the first time I tried to play the game, I only had 2gb of ram and it was somehow getting me stressed out.
    The system requirements are not always accurate, I do not really recommend paying them any attention since the recommended ones tend to be the minimums most of the time.

7. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

The best thing to do is look at the minimum specs needed to run the game. At least like this you know that anything that's better will run the game smoother, but I wouldn't get a computer specifically for Civ. I would look at my computer needs and base myself on that.

8. taco

taco Member Regular

You can run it on a slightly lower end system, like a dual core with maybe 4 gig of ram and an intel graphics card. You would have to turn the video options way down and you could only play a game on a small board with maybe 6-8 city states. Anything larger and as the game progresses and more units are added you will experience seriously lag, and it will take around 5 mins between when you hit end turn and you can play again. I know this because I played Civ5 on these exact settings.

If you wanted to be able to play a decent game on a larger size board with more Civs (which makes it much more fun) you will need at least an i3 with 8-16mb ram, and a lower end graphics card like a NVidea Quadro, or even better a 960.

9. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

Just google it "Civ 5 Spec''

10. AntonioCalcano

AntonioCalcano Member Regular

Basically any mid range laptop from today can play Civ game since it's not a demanding game or anything, the game doesn't rely on graphics it relies on strategy and thinking. If you're thinking of buying a new laptop to play Civ then any mid range laptop will do just fine, you don't need anything fancy, you will have trouble maybe not with your laptop but with the game itself trying to get used to its mechanics.

11. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

Yes! I use my old laptop and it is Ok

12. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

I would just make sure that you do your research before trying it on anything moving forward. That is certainly frustrating, but hopefully you can avoid it from here on out.