Quantcast

Most disappointing RPG sequels?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by rosacrux, Dec 25, 2013.

1. rachael

rachael Active Member

Fable 2 for me. I liked Fable 3, even though it was completely different from the original, if they made it a standalone game instead of a Fable sequel I think it would have received much more praise. Because it was a good game, just wasn't as good as the original, and by original I mean TLC.
    As for Fable 2, I just didn't like it.

2. hamz10

hamz10 Well-Known Member

When I brought dragon age 2. I sent it back a day later, that game was so bad compared to the first one! But origins got me back, they just had a little mishap with 2 I guess!

3. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Most people consider Fable 2 to be the high point of the series and Fable 3 the low point.

4. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Well-Known Member

All three Final Fantasy XIII let me down greatly I was expecting such good things from the next gen final fantasy. Sadly im still waiting for a good RPG to come out of Square.

5. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

While Dragon Age was a legendary game for its time, Dragon Age 2 absolutely demolished the reputation of this franchise. It was rubbish to say the least. Let's see what they are trying with Dragon Age 3.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

For me it's Mass Effect 3, the game is good but somehow it just felt, well don't even get me started.

7. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

Just like a few others on here Dragon Age II was an epic fail. The only thing that I liked about it were the characters. Bioware NEVER disappoints with the characters. However, the rest of the game fell flat for me. It was repetitive, lazily made with re-used faces and even MORE re-used dungeons. I felt that some of the actions of some NPCs didn't make sense though. Like with Orsino. Things are going great for us and looks like the tides maybe turning for the mages and what does he do? Turn into the reject boss from Devil May Cry 3. I think I seriously looked at the tv and went: "What the fuck?"

8. Brady2121

Brady2121 Well-Known Member

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2. I know opinions vary on this series, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first one. However, the sequel felt rushed and lacked content.

9. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

FF13. It was so much of a disappointment. What really got me is that there were sequels based off of that...At this point Square should just bring their old FF series to the next gen graphics.

10. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

There was Two Worlds 2 which were not as good as the previous one and had glitches and also was kind of boring as well and not exciting to play at times which was not worth the price it was selling at. I think the game had some good ideas, but the story did not seem real at times or seem to make sense like when the orcs rescue the human who is you. I think sequels should be made, with better ideas and also do better than the previous one and also be a success as well.

11. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

There was Two Worlds 2 which were not as good as the previous one and had glitches and also was kind of boring as well and not exciting to play at times which was not worth the price it was selling at. I think the game had some good ideas, but the story did not seem real at times or seem to make sense like when the orcs rescue the human who is you. I think sequels should be made, with better ideas and also do better than the previous one and also be a success as well.

12. Obi

Obi Well-Known Member

Fable 3 was quite disappointing. I enjoyed the game but when compared to the first two, it just falls flat on everything it nailed before. Now they're releasing Legends, which granted isn't technically a sequel, but between that and the kinect game, jeeez.

13. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I thought Two Worlds 2 was generally agreed to be better than Two Worlds? Surprising to see someone that seems to say otherwise. I think Two Worlds 2 wasn't well received even if it was better than Two Worlds anyway...

14. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I've played a lot of games over the last 30 years. The most disappointing sequel for me would be Might & Magic 9. It was lackluster and very buggy. It did not live up to the series.

15. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

Final Fantasy X-2 for me and also Dragon Age 2. I really don't like what they did on part 2 of FF X. I'm fine with a female lead but they overdid it with you know costumes and stuff. And also for DA 2, the Origins are one of the best games I payed and little disappointed with the 2.

16. Oh man, Dragon Age II was the biggest let down I've had in recent memory. I was all hyped for it when it was coming out, and then I just got a subpar story and I guess the characters were okayish, but I still wasn't a fan of them. I mean, Allistair was my homeslice even if he did want to leave me when I made him king. I just liked they even added that twist, no character I loved so much made me hate them so much. Basically I just wanted more Allistair because I loved him. Also, they just reused too much stuff and it came off very lazy and sloppy.

17. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Mass Effect 3 for me. And only for the ending, mind you. The rest of the game is perfect. The ending was just such a major let-down. Good thing the dudes at Bioware listened to fan complains and released the Extended Cut, which I really liked.

18. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

I haven't played a whole lot of RPG games & their sequels that I thought were really particularly disappointing, but a few of the Final Fantasy games have been pretty... "meh" compared to others. But, even the first game was pretty "meh" compared to how the series progressed, so I can't really say it is just the sequels that were disappointing. There have been a ton of really great ones in that franchise, but there's just those few that weren't nearly as good of quality gameplay & story as the rest.

19. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I would say FF XIII was the most disappointing of the lot. It was basically dumbed down to a few button clicks per fight, and the entire game is just a tunnel game, as in, you have zero freedom to explore.

niightwind likes this.
  20. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

I can definitely agree with you there. FF7 was pretty meh too in my opinion (though I did really enjoy the soundtrack for it, admittedly) , but FF13 just took the cake for most disappointing in the series. Its too bad, too, because you'd think by that point in a franchise they'd know what to do right and what to do wrong, but somehow they really messed that one up compared to what it could have been.