Minecraft Movie in Production

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by firestarian, Mar 3, 2014.

1. firestarian

firestarian Active Member

Thought I'd let everyone know that a Minecraft movie is in production, by the same team that created the Lego Movie. The following is an article from Digital Trends.

[​IMG]
    "Well, this is exciting. Roy Lee, one of the producers of The Lego Movie, is set to produce a big screen take on Minecraft for Warner Bros. alongside Mean Girls executive producer Jill Messick, Deadline reports. It’s still early days for the project, with no release plan or production timeline confirmed yet, but the adaptation is already generating “huge interest from writers and filmmakers” for WB’s “live-action version.”
    The mention of live-action may give you pause, but let’s be realistic. Any movie based on Mojang’s blocky world-building game is going to require heavy amounts of set dressing and animation. There is no such thing as a Creeper in the live-action world (at least not the way the game defines it).
    If all were right and just in the universe, Lee would be able to convince The Lego Movie writer/directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller to take the reins on this one. The filmmaking pair are known for their smart, self-aware humor, and it’s worked well for them, in Lego, in the two Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs movies, and in their 21 Jump Street reboot-slash-parody. Lord and Miller also have a Jump Street sequel set to release in June 2014. If anyone can hit the right balance between capturing the spirit of Minecraft while telling an interesting story, it’s these two.
    Warner Bros. no doubt sees Lego-like potential in Mojang’s game. The studio is already planning a sequel to its successful film treatment of the beloved children’s toy. Popular family-friendly franchises are something of a Holy Grail in Hollywood, since all-ages content brings the biggest audience to theaters. "
    by Adam Rosenberg of DigitalTrends.com

So what does everyone think of a Minecraft movie? I think it would need to be done very well for it to do good to the name of Minecraft. Video Game movies have a history of being, well god awful, I just hope for the best. What do you think?

2. Clanky

Clanky Well-Known Member

I've made some Minecraft animations, the longest one was about 6 minutes, but a whole Minecraft movie? Whoa. I wouldn't know what to put all in such a film, because Minecraft does not really have a story. It's open to the user, so I couldn't do a whole film out of it.

3. firestarian

firestarian Active Member

Exactly, but the same could be said of a Lego movie. I like to imagine something similar to Captain Sparkle's music videos he did, especially Viva la Vida. I wouldn't mind watching a movie similar to that, other than that I have no clue what they could do. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

4. tk9

tk9 Member

Interesting. Can't wait to see what the story is actually about. I'm going to hold off before judging it because the lego movie was better than I though it was going to be.

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

With the success of the Lego movie, I suppose this was just inevitable. Well, I really enjoyed the Lego movie, so if the Minecraft one is being made by the same team then I have high hopes for it. Hopefully they keep the same kind of humor in it.

6. montreal176

montreal176 Active Member

I think this movie will be amazingly interesting. The lego movie was very successful and i see this movie being the same. Very excited

7. emilyrose93

emilyrose93 New Member

As soon as I read the title I was thinking about The Lego Movie, I'm not surprised to hear it's the same producer. I really wonder what the plot is going to be. I don't want to spoil The Lego Movie for anyone who hasn't seen it, but there's aspects of that that I think will definitely come into play to make this movie viable.

I am super excited about the casting, as well. The Lego Movie had a really solid cast and I think the Minecraft movie will have the same. I bet young male indie actors will be falling over themselves to play Steve - I assume he will look like the default skin too, with brown hair and a blue shirt. Otherwise I can't really imagine who the main characters would be.

The article says the movie will be live-action but I bet anything they'll be employing a lot of CGI to make Creepers and Witches and so on. I don't think just costume and make-up would make them convincing. Or maybe they'll just make the costume out of cardboard boxes, who knows.

8. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

The most important part is to nail the graphics style of Minecraft. They better not make it like any other animated movies with high polygons. As to the story, it can be anything honestly as there is no story. Maybe it's going to be a human entering the world of Minecraft or something.

9. forte210392

forte210392 Active Member

Oh my god. I actually thought this was a joke. But if this pulls through, it's going to be so awesome. The Lego Movie, though a little kiddy, was actually pretty good. If they can incorporate similar mainstream idols into the movie like the former did, I think this is going to go places.

10. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm curious as to how they can keep the audience interested in a full fledged Minecraft movie. Let's say it's going to be 1h 30m. What sort of plot will it be that will entice people to watch it and like it? What does Minecraft have that make it unique?

Hollywood action movies almost all have one thing in common: explosive, typical hero/villain over-the-top cheesiness and a lame kissing scene. So they can get away with sub-par plots. However, Minecraft is a niche in itself. It's unlike Lego, where Lego has a very expansive universe ranging from traditional figures and structures all the way to AT-AT Walkers, Star Trek ships, Harry Potter and a massive collection of other things.

11. rebel

rebel Active Member

Wow. That's news to me. It looks interesting, no doubt. I believe that if they come up with an interesting plot the production will be great and enjoyed by many, all over the world.

12. idlecuriosities

idlecuriosities Well-Known Member

If the Lego Movie is any indication of the kind of quality we can expect from the film then I will definitely enjoy watching this. There are some really cool things they can do with this kind of movies, I am seriously excited. I think the biggest question is the plot, but hopefully they can put together a good writing staff to figure this out.

13. froggy666

froggy666 Well-Known Member

I don't see the point to a minecraft film. I really don't i'd rather go watch a Yogscast short any day over a film that will be CGI's to god knows what to top it off there can be no depth in a game about making cool looking stuff.

14. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well... when I saw the topic I thought that this idea is just as stupid as the lego movie one. So not surprised that it's made by the same people! Anyone even considering watching either one of these?

15. Ha777yya

Ha777yya Active Member

Nah sorry, as much as i enjoy playing these games i wouldn't watch a film made from one. They can even become boring just watching someone else play them!

16. froggy666

froggy666 Well-Known Member

See I get the value of a lets play, it has the ability to add something to the game as it can add humor or reaction to the game. Or the fact games you can't play or don't have the ability to play it. I've never been good at point and clicks and yet they make for amazing games so I'm stuck to only watching them.

17. useruseruser

useruseruser Well-Known Member

I don't understand how this movie will be made. It will be like an hour and thirty minute long Youtube short. It sounds like a cool idea though. I may go see it when it comes out............ or get it through other means.

18. Kreemz

Kreemz Member

Sounds awesome! If it's as good as the Lego Movie, i'll be sure to enjoy it :). I really hope they try to bring it to theatres, it would be amazing to see it on the big screen... even though Minecraft itself has graphics made up of segmented blocks!

19. Padwolf

Padwolf Active Member

It sounds great, I have not yet seen the Lego Movie though! It would be amazing to see a story made out of the game. But I have a hard time imagining what kind of story they could make. Surely they could make it an epic adventure where the character faces the boss. I'm not sure, I can't make up mind!

20. 3Quency

3Quency Active Member

This is the first I've heard about it but I have no doubt it will be amazing! I am so excited, currently reading up on the whole idea ha ha.