Metrowar - Discussion

Discussion in 'Other' started by Warhawk, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Warhawk

Warhawk Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can. I think it's suitable compensation for your otherwise crappy luck of the draw. Besides, you're all by your lonesome out there. Either you dig through the green line or you go all the way up.

2. Warhawk

I shouldn't have gone about this roleplay bit half-cocked. :tsk:

My original idea was to have diplomacy-focused events occurring in "Embassy threads," like some other nation RP games out there. If things occur as stories, these can be broken up into isolated events, like individual meetings or battles, etc. If there are other stories that just involve the game world, then these would go in their own unique RP threads.

It still stands that you can play entirely without roleplay, using PM for metagame diplomacy. But I question the spirit behind that, since breathing life into a map takes more than rubbing hands together and evil laughs while typing up terms. It's everyone's prerogative, however.

I've set up my embassy thread with an initial attempt at contact: sending a lone Stalker up north towards Spartan territory. If anyone wants to grab it they can, but bear in mind it will have direct effects on diplomacy.

... Or, if you guys have a better idea, it's now or never. We're finally moving into this phase by coming into contact.

3. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Haha damn, you've been waiting a while to start roleplaying, haven't you?

But seriously, great writing, you clearly put some time and lots of thought into it.

#103 Potarto, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
  4. Warhawk

The question is: Is it viable? Is there enough time to go through the motions to actually have an effect? Does anybody even 'want' to write stories about this little universe, or just wing it with the game? Because if it's the latter then there's no sense playing by any "rules" of personalities or policies.

5. Potarto

I think everyone should just do what makes them happy. I might write something if anything major happens, but I doubt most people are gonna want to write a short story about every turn where they spend most of their production on food.

6. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I don't feel like writing complete background/foreground stories for my faction (mainly because I don't have anything thought out for my faction :p); but I am willing to write something when it comes to certain minor events (like you did, Warhawk, and VSV) and some more major events -such as battle.

Nonetheless, that was some excellent writing, Warhawk. I felt as if I was reading a passage written by Glukhovsky himself ;)

7. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Is this game going to continue? Or do you just need a break, Warhawk? If there's any way I could help ease the workload of this game, let me know. I could help determine/post the end results -if there's ever a need to. I don't know how you figure out the output/battle-outcome stuff, but I guess I could always grab some dice or flip a coin. ;)

8. Warhawk

I've been feeling really burnt out. It's not even that work has gotten terribly harder, either. Time just seems to go by faster and faster every day, and I never get a chance to do all of the things I want or intend to. I try modding a game and it takes all night, and into the morning, just to fix a portion of it. I intend to read a book on Russian history from the library, and then don't want to sacrifice other things to have time to read it.

All in all, not much of an excuse for dropping this. Just don't know where I'm gonna get the energy from. I usually have obsessive cycles, going full steam in one subject area and then abruptly changing pace. That probably has a hand to play in this, since there are other things to do which are more interactive... and have instant gratification.

Is this game worth continuing?

9. NuclearWastE3

Regular

I understand ;). YOU HAVE UH LIFFFEE!! I had no idea this game took up so much of your time -which sucks. I myself don't really find the time to do things -such as playing video games. I mean, I have the time, but I don't feel motivated at the moment. I haven't felt driven in a long time. Anyway: yeah, if being able to finish your Russian history book meas having not worry about this game, then, by all means, do it. Don't feel like you need to carry something out if it's not making you happy.

Well, I had fun while it lasted. Hopefully someone could take over your stations (sometime in the future) and the game could continue. Though, I don't really see much of a reason to proceed, at the moment, since there's only three players left. I know I said I would do no less than three, but four players is optimal.

Thanks for having shared this game with us, Warhawk!

10. Potarto

I'll most likely literally continue it until it's just me if I have an option. It sucks that you can't do it anymore, but it was at least some fun while it lasted. Is there anything we can do to continue it and do the work for you?

11. Warhawk

I gave it some thought between passing out and work, which apparently took 10 days...

If anyone has a copy of Adobe Flash they can import and edit it easily. The next best fix would be to convert it to MS Paint, but that would require a scratch rebuild. I can't export it alias-free and get the clean changes desired. Or I could try to kick my ass into getting it going again but I've already moved on to Star Wars so that's probably a false hope right now. I need mental stimulation before my brain turns to mush, and to be honest I seem to have had more of that designing the game than playing it...

12. Potarto

I could find a way to get a copy of Flash if you have the files. The biggest resource we'd need is the rules and calculations.

13. Warhawk

Sorry guys. I owed you more than that. It's been two long months of work soaking up my time, and burning what little free time remains on other game ideas that nobody bothers with. At least you guys actually gave this one a shot.

Here's a link to my entire Metrowar folder, compressed with winrar. Almost everything is in it, from dev notes to the original .fla files. Some things might be missing from the rules and whatnot due to all of the tweaks I had to make during the first several turns. Do whatever you want with it.

14. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Don't worry about it. I appreciate you coming back to visit. Very noble of you. ;)

I actually thought it was a really fun and exciting game. I really enjoyed it. Perhaps you could share the idea with 4A and they could play tribute to it. I don't know. Another metro 2033 boardgame? :p

Again: great game (very original), thanks for sharing the game with us and dedicating your time to host it, and I look forward to skimming through your work. You're always welcomed here :)

15. Potarto

I hope I never have to use Mega again, but thanks for the upload. I'll try and get it sorted out. Doubt it would be worth it here with only three players, but some of my friends expressed interest in DnD-style tabeltop stuff, maybe I could get something working for that.