Metro Redux announced

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Professor Pew, May 22, 2014.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Comparisons such as this one make it look as those they've just focused on making Metro 2033 look a whole lot brighter...

M2033
    [​IMG]
    M2033 Redux
    [​IMG]

M2033
    [​IMG]
    M2033 Redux
    [​IMG]

I mean, sure, it looks pretty - but the whole point of the first game was that it was meant to be depressing, wasn't it? Also, I've never experienced the highly hypothetical nuclear winter firsthand, but isn't the entire point of the theory that smoke and soot from so many nuclear explosions would block out sunlight to such an extent and for long to cause the cold temperatures? That's exactly why you weren't supposed to be able to precisely tell what time of day it is on the surface in Metro 2033.

2. Different times of year + what you see on the screenshots is probably the dynamic weather with a brief sunny moment for the "Welcome to the Dead City" line.

I would know, I live in a place where for a few weeks each year the sun never sets in summer and never rises in winter. It's just this perpetual twilight with moody clouds for days, but once in a while you need sunglasses.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile:

[​IMG]

3. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

It is probably worth nothing that you seem to only get the pre-owned discount on Steam if you preorder.

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I hope you're right. What you've said makes sense and it's very plausible, but it is still an assumption.

Yes, I already knew this so I just assumed everyone else did. It probably hasn't yet been made obvious in this thread because no one ranted about it thus far, so here's what I think: it's bullshit. :)

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

I read this sentence over and over and over again, but I just can't make any sense out of it :noidea: Could you rephrase it please?

6. Potarto

If you preorder the game on Steam, you get the discount for already owning the previous, respective installment. If you don't preorder, and instead wait until the game comes out to buy, then you won't get the discount.

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

That part I understood, but I don't understand how it's "probably worth nothing". Worth nothing to who? To what? In what way should it be worth anything? :p

8. Derrame

Derrame Well-Known Member
    Regular

release date is july or august?

9. DarkOne

DarkOne Well-Known Member

All they've said is this summer I think there's a good chance they'll announce a solid release date come E3.

10. August 28th, from Amazon.

11. Potarto

It wasn't part of the announcement, and some people might be waiting until after the games release to get them, not realizing that they would be missing out on the discount simply by waiting. Not everybody preorders games.

12. The Last Ranger

Xbox One is 900p at 60FPS
    PS4 like Komodo said is 1080p at 60FPS

13. Potarto

That's pretty solid. I'm sure that it won't exactly rival a maxed out PC version, but it'll still probably look great, and run great if they're reliably hitting that mark.

14. Skaara Dreadlocks

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I actually haven't watched the Redux trailer until now, and I noticed something peculiar...
    Does this mean that whilst Artyom is now currently talking, he is in purgatory? He is dead? :confused:

15. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Artyom is saying that his soul is damned to purgatory for the day that he dies while at the same time wishing he could go back to -say- the first day he killed somebody and not have killed 'them,' in order to remove the blood in which his hands are blacked with, to 'lift' his soul's damnation from purgatory.

So no; he is not dead....Yet ;)

16. No, Metro is purgatory.

5:20

[YOUTUBE]TubfYIv2Jik#t=320[/YOUTUBE]

17. Skaara Dreadlocks

Ah, I understand now! Thanks for explaining :)
    I didn't realize that the discount only counted for pre-orders until you just said so, so now I've bought the game. (I'm a fish biting an intriguing hook, okay?).
    It seems to me like a clever sales-trick; At first, people who arleady bought the games aren't usually very interested, especially with the high price, so they don't bother checking out videos and screenshots of it. Then they hear there's a 50% cut if you already own the games, and then they start considering it, and they get hooked to the Redux by watching the trailer(s) and screenshots.
    Outcome1: The person then pre-order the game and 4a/DS gets their money early, which is good for them.
    Outcome2: The person doesn't realize that the discount only lasts while there's the chance to pre-order. The discount passes them, but they still buy it because they've become so hooked that they just have to get it even though it now, again, is the same price as it was when they wouldn't buy the game(s) that expensive. Eh? Eh?

Ah, that explains it well. Nice referring to that part from Metro2033, I had completely forgotten it.
    But then again, I'm pretty sure Khan is talking about the Ghosts when he says "When the soul leaves the body, it has nowhere to go, and must remain here in the Metro." True, he says "A harsh but not undeserved attonement for our sins", but I think he refers more to the sins of human kind in general, and not those of himself and Artyom.
    Also "Heaven, hell and purgatory were atomized" (which I assume means they've been made "real" and put into one place). How can the Metro then be purgatory, if it is also hell and heaven?

We've probably discussed this in another thread a long long time ago, but I've completely forgotten it by now :p

18. Potarto

The fun factor of the anomalies in most nuclear post-apocalyptic games kinda dissipates when the lore tries to actually explain them and how they're supposed to work, instead of just being the enigmatic forces that mess with your head. Like most of the crazy mutants would be to any actual normal (read: IRL) person whose first thought isn't, "Man, these remind me of those space demons I plowed through with a shotgun in like 10 other games", they're meant to surprise you and make you react in ways that aren't instinctively ingrained into your mouse-hand.

Hence why Khan's story is just kinda out there and (thankfully) we don't ever really get any sensible, scientific explanation for them; just the musings of an equally enigmatic survivor.

19. Russian dub, destroyed, not made real, 5:20:

[YOUTUBE]h3Lheu7YMHs[/YOUTUBE]

20. Skaara Dreadlocks

I like this answer because it's true, and I've come to think of it that way sometimes, myself. But yet, I've found it quite fascinating to try to find reasons or logic for these things in games, and especially in Metro. Like when Khan says "Some say it's the voice of the tunnels, others consider it to be a form of psychic influence", when speaking of the "singing pipes".
    I also remember reading somewhere, I think it was the Metro Wiki, that someone has tried to scientifically explain the "ghost" silhouettes, as something that has been structured into the atmosphere when the nuclear bomb sent out a specific wave of radioactivity, or something like that.

Metro2033's charm lies heavily in its mystique and unknown territory, but my point is that despite that fact, it's still interesting to delve into these mysteries and trying to come up with possible solutions to what may be the logic in it :)

Ah, I see. But then again, the same outcome; If heaven, hell and purgatory were "destroyed / made unreal", how can the Metro be Purgatory if Purgatory no longer exists? ;)