Metro 2033/Last Light Story Tribute

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Media' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

This video was so amazing that I really think it deserves its own thread in this section. Do watch this, and enjoy!
    [YOUTUBE]rCpXdaa6H7A[/YOUTUBE]

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Very nicely made indeed, really gets the message of both games across. :)

Though I think it's funny how the creator says "it may contain spoilers" at the beginning... "may"?! for someone who hasn't played these games this would spoil Last Light's whole plot! :lol:

On a side note, this is not entirely related but it's interesting how different Anna's relationship with her father (and with Artyom too) is in 2035 in comparison to how it is Last Light... I wanna say more, but I don't wanna spoil the book in case you plan to read it at some point. :p

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

Yeah, I might read it eventually.... (Probably never though :p). But you know how much hatred I have for Anna in the game so I think it'd take a miracle for me to like her in the book :p

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Well, in that case, I think I can spoil it for you (they are not major spoilers for the plot anyway)...

Basically, at the time when the book starts, Artyom and Anna are married - something that Miller was apparently against. Anna has stopped being a ranger and moved over to VDNKh just for Artyom. She wants nothing more than for them to be a normal family and have kids together, but Artyom is obsessed with the idea of finding survivors outside of Moscow and keeps heading to the same spot on the surface to try to establish radio contact. So, as you can imagine, Anna is really pissed at him because he is always endangering himself and obviously the trips to the irradiated surface are likely to reduce his fertility, or at least reduce the chances of any potential children being healthy. They don't really talk properly, and when they do it's usually an argument.

I can actually relate to her more in the book, since it's absolutely ok for her to be mad at Artyom considering she moved halfway across the metro just for him. Their relationship, even though it's not a perfect one, is given much more attention in 2035 than how it started in Last Light too. Another spoiler: they do reconcile later on in the book though. :p Also, there's some interesting insight into Miller and Anna's family past. I can't remember whether he actually beat them or was just a dick to them in the past (it's been a while since I read Metro 2035), but it turns out that he was an abusive husband to Anna's mother and did not give her a decent childhood. This is why he is so overprotective of her too, because he is kinda trying to make up for it or something but I don't remember the details 100%.

Miller in general turns out to be not such a nice guy, for other reasons too, but I won't spoil those because they are much more important for the central narrative. ;)

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

Huh, I see... I still don't think I'd like her :p But yeah, maybe I could relate a little more as well.
    And hey, good work with that article on the Metro Wiki about Poland! :thumb:

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, tbh her character in Metro 2035 is a bit of a wasted opportunity in terms of the story. She doesn't make that many appearances and is generally a very minor character; Glukhovsky could have really expanded more on her and Artyom's relationship in the book and how much it changed since the events of Last Light - to really flesh out her personality, but oh well. :eek:hwell:

Thanks very much, it's always nice to hear something like this from a fellow Metro fan (and a friend)! :D