Maya 3D Modelling

Discussion in 'Pointless Fun' started by Von Streff, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, I'll be starting my first official 3D model soon, and it's gonna be my favorite pistol (for it's sheer power, and it's tough looks), the Desert Eagle!

Anyone else who does 3D here? I know Spitfire has some experience.

2. KhansGotKarma

KhansGotKarma Well-Known Member

3. Von Streff

Regular

Just you wait, it's coming along nicely. I'll have a short video by the end of June, hopefully.

4. Von Streff

Regular

So here's the photo and my work so far. It's my first model, so many wasted hours, retries, and now Maya is crashing all the time! :/ But I'll get it done, even if it kills me. So far... about 40 hours, though it could be more/less...

Attached Files:

5. Von Streff

Regular

Ah, progress. So far, I'm guessing about 70 hours. Luckily I'm learning little tricks which help me get things right first time around. This model should be completely rendered within 5 weeks.

You wouldn't believe how much work the little safety switch was, and the sights... Seriously, don't go into 3D unless you are willing to work hard!

Attached Files:

• de.jpg
      de.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    #5 Von Streff, May 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  6. Von Streff

Regular

Okay, getting near the end. Here's an early render, the lighting and some bump-mapping/texturing still to be done. Does anyone have suggestions for what base it could be lying on? I'm thinking brown leather, concrete, or maybe even integrated onto a photo of asphalt/concrete...

Attached Files:

7. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

Do it on your home country's flag. Nothing says patriotism like a high-powered pistol on the flag of your nation!

Kidding :3 but I think having it on concrete would be pretty cool.

8. Strelok

Strelok Well-Known Member

Put it on a Victorian style desk with a glass of whiskey beside it, maybe even a ashtray with a cigarette/cigar. Or perhaps just one of them.

Also I like how one of the rounds is reflecting in the gun.

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Me? Experience? I wish. I'm just interested in the program that's all. I'm still deciding and planning out my career so there may be hope for me and this program yet.

10. Von Streff

Regular

I like the sound of that. Yeah, that could really look cool. Lots of extra modeling involved, but a whiskey bottle, glass, and a few sheets of paper and maybe a pen wouldn't take long at all. Nice idea, I'll see how it goes!

And yeah, I plan to really play with the reflections, I'm using lots of photos as reference. Thanks everyone! And keep going, Spitfire!

11. Von Streff

Regular

Hmm, coming along. What do you guys say to a pack of cards? Cliche as hell, I know, but it'll add an element to the background. Also, the shot glasses are yet to come.

Oh wow, tiny image. No worries, I'll get an HD link here once the final renders are done. :D

Attached Files:

12. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

Looking very good Von Streff!!! My father actually works for the company that owns Maya.

13. Von Streff

Regular

Awesome! :) Autodesk is so good, giving students free copies of their software. I wish other companies did the same...

14. Von Streff

Regular

Quick update. I'll have a 360 turn-around done in a few days, and possibly a little more. Here's a render of how it's looking atm... It's all in 3D, including th whiskey and shot glasses.

Attached Files:

15. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Super awesome work! :D
    Did you make it all by hand? Like the reflections of the bullets, and the gripping surfafe of the grip? :)

16. Von Streff

Regular

Well, the way 3D works is that firstly you build the model (as you can see in some of the earlier posts in this thread). Then you stick materials and textures (like the metal, text, whiskey, etc) onto these shapes, and then place lights (as in real photography) which create the reflections naturally. As for the grip, that was a texture I had to make in photoshop, then apply it to the material.

Wow, like that's a very clear answer! :p

[YOUTUBE]zz2dLUH3De8[/YOUTUBE]

Well, here it is. Your feedback, criticisms, and views are all appreciated! :)

#16 Von Streff, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  17. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

I know this thread is ANCIENT, but several other modeling companies and CAD companies do this :). SolidWorks for example, provides students with free CAD, and FRC teams will better free CAD. If anyone's interested, I can link some helpful tutorials for CAD. Nothing too good for rendering sadly.

18. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I hate using CAD and anything in relevance with it. Manual drafting is way better. There is no need to figure out all the stupid tools to learn the damn software; all you need for manual drafting is a pencil, sheet of paper, ruler, and a compass -that's friggen it!

It appears that engineers today do make more mistakes in drafting and their final product than in times of the 70's and before. Anyway, my favorite CAD software that I used is AutoDesk Inventor. I was never that good at it; and I am struck at how awesome VonStreff's model of the Desert Eagle in Maya looks (I probably could never do anything like that). I wouldn't know which software is better though.

#18 NuclearWastE3, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014