Maplestory

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by malavicious, Jan 29, 2016.

1. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice
    Regular

Have you ever played it? What was your experience with it? How did you get into it? For myself, I remember seeing an ad in the English version of Shounen Jump(yeah I was that kid) for it back in maybe 2007 and from that moment I was hooked. The game will probably never be the same as it was back in those glory years colored by nostalgia and many hours of grinding, but I still find myself returning to it time and time again, on both official and private servers. How about you? Do you still play?

2. IgCho

IgCho Active Member
    Regular

I played it years and years ago and enjoyed it, but I'm sure it's nowhere near as enjoyable as I remember. The gameplay didn't seem overly deep at all, and I generally play RPGs for the mythology and lore which I always felt Maplestory was light on. It was certainly fun at the time though.

3. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice
    Regular

It actually does have a story now, but it's poorly hacked together garbage for the most part. It's not really fun anymore either, which is why I quit playing. Sure, they lessened the grind, but it's more p2w than ever, if you have any shred of nostalgia for this game, just let it stay exactly as you remember it and don't pick it up again.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Played it briefly a while ago because my friends recommended it, but I wasn't impressed to much by it. Now since it's supposedly gone worse I don't have a reason to play.

5. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

I remember when Maplestory was the rage. So many people on it at all times. Used to stay up all hours of the night just to talk to my friends on the other side of the world. Maybe I've grown out of the game, but it isn't nearly as fun as it used to be. My younger brother tried to make an account on it and he could not find a decent username. It seems that all the usernames ever made are still in it. They don't root out inactive accounts apparently.

6. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I remember playing this game all the way back years ago when I was young teen, even then, when I was simply looking for games to waste my copious amounts of freetime, I couldn't derive very much enjoyment from the game - It was simply way too grindy and not much fun for me.

7. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've never played it. Sounds like a nice game.