Mage Champions - which one is the best?

Discussion in 'League of Legends (MOBA)' started by Jess, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Jess

Jess Member

Hello. I have a question who is best mage? I play mostly mages champions and I already buy half of them. I have Vlad, Malz, Aniv, Brand,Cass, Fidd, Vei but looking for another mages. I own as Vlad, Brand and Aniv but my question is... who is best mage?

2. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

I love mages - lots of damage! My first and fave mage is Xerath. He has crazy range, damage and a stun. His downside is a long cooldown and he drinks mana like a fish, so it is worth buying some early Athenes chalice (red cup thing).

His AOE is very good, and you can fly through a whole enemy team if they bunch up :) great fun!

All mages are good when played properly thought. Vlad for example has a very useful ult when placed and timed right and can allow your team to rip through the enemy in team fights. The delay on the damage it deals can be a blessing or a curse though....

Fizz is a fun looking mage. I haven't actually used fizz, but the damage that fish can deal is crazy! The jump/ avoid skill it has looks pretty useful too!

3. ozadin

ozadin Active Member

Ryze. He's extremely easy to use, but hard to master. When a pro player plays him, he is very effective, and can burst two champions down in a matter of seconds when he gets ganked. People who use him properly can win the game alone. He has a snare which could catch people, and a great skill combo.

4. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

True, but I find his ult is pretty weak compared to other champions ult. The spell vamp is quite fun though, and can thrown an enemy of balance if you burst all his spells :)

5. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Well-Known Member

Obviously, the answer to your question is purely subjective. The great thing about League of Legends is that you can do well with any hero as long as you know how to use its skills properly, itemize according to the flow of the game, and understand the game mechanics.

Right now, I'm playing Ahri a lot. I like her overall kit. Dashing forward with her ultimate and immediately throwing a charm can catch your opponent off-guard. Her Q spell can deal a lot of damage especially if you manage to hit your enemy as the ball is returning to Ahri. I love building Deathfire Grasp on her for the burst and cooldown reduction.

I like Ryze as well. He scales very well into late game and can build tanky yet still dish out tons of damage.

6. yellowbird

yellowbird Active Member

I do agree that this is largely a matter of opinion. I myself am partial to Morgana. It was rough for me to learn her in the beginning (think I was only playing for a few days when I picked her up) but after the rough hump of learning she became my favorite champion.

7. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

^^ I love morgana's spell shield. So useful! Do you play her mid or supp? I don't see Morgana mid much these days...

8. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member
    Regular

Since this is a team game, the best solo-champion doesn't really exist. What I mean, is that certain mages fit well with certain teams and others do not. For example think of these combos Gragas/Malphite and an Orianna/Malphite difference. The first one, almost counters each other, with gragas aoe ulti spreading the enemy team all over the map, and Malphite ult confined in a certain space. On the other hand Orianna's same type of CC [displacement] gathers the enemy team in a tight spot which malphite can ult for maximum efficiency, plus shields/speedups etc etc.

Although for solo environment, and rank climbing I would suggest assassin type mages/mid Ahri, Fizz, Zed etc. Even if you go even or even lose your lane, you can take kills from the side lanes and be back in the game no-time.

9. yellowbird

yellowbird Active Member

I can play both, but my support is currently lacking; I'm still learning and prefer to support someone I know in the case that I screw something up. >.<
    Mid's pretty good though. I'm in love with her dark binding, I think. Allows me to pin someone down to either attack, let someone else attack, pool them with my W, or when I'm trying to escape it can be helpful sometimes. :D Jeez though, I really love all of her spells. The pooling is great for farming, her soul shackle is both intimidating AND stuns, and yeah, like you said, the shield can be pretty great. Why don't more people play her?

10. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member
    Regular

People tend to watch pro player streams, and have the tendency to pick champions that the pros play. Morgana is still viable in certain team compositions. Fun thing is most people have no idea on why they don't play a certain champion they just assume that is bad. Although admittedly Morgana has a higher skill cap, If you cannot land your Qs you are pretty much useless. There is also a bug in her ult, not going off, which is pretty much the worst thing about her.

But as always, consider how the meta has shifted from farming lanes, to pick lanes, every mid you will see now days will be an assassin of some kind, or any champion that has the ability to carry the game alone. Morgana cannot carry solo, she depends a lot on her teammates.

11. yellowbird

yellowbird Active Member

You're so right about all of this, and you answered one of my other questions, which was why none of the pros ever seem to pick Morgana. I have never experienced the glitch myself about her ult not going off (well, maybe I have and blamed myself in the moment? still working on my skills). Either way, I enjoy playing her, and I think that learning to land her Qs is good practice for other similar champions. I've only played Lux a few times, but she strikes me as very similar (esp being a mid champion as well), and if I practiced her more I might be able to get better since many of her spells I am already somewhat used to.

12. Stiflex

Stiflex Active Member

In my opinion, the most powerful mane (damage) is either veigar, karthus or teemo. Their burst damage is very high, especially veigars - if you get cought by his stun, you're a gooner. And if teemo gets you, he'll keep chasing you because the little bugger is always faster than you, plus if you step on his mushrooms, you're done for.

And Karthus is pretty self-explanatory.

13. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh thanks for mentioning me, and considering me the most powerful "mane" :p. Here's a gift

[​IMG]

On the topic of mages and teemo, you guys should get a friend and play Cassiopeia + Teemo/Singed bot lane. The synergy between the poison mechanics of Cass stacks so it's a cute kill lane :D

14. x0Beka0x

x0Beka0x Member

I think Teemo and Twisted fate also kog mow. they do a lot of damage if they are built right. That's just my opinion. I've seen a lot of people do quite good with other mage's though.

15. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member
    Regular

Thanks for mentioning me, as a strong mage :)

2nd time in this thread, I'm famous!

[​IMG]

16. Weasel

Weasel Member

I think Karthus, Ryze and Twisted Fate are the strongest in general if you can play them well. But then again, any mage is good if you can play it well, so choosing one that you like playing would be the best choice. I prefer Ziggs, fits my play style perfectly.

17. ddrmario123

ddrmario123 Member

Looking at the current meta, Ahri and Kassadin are a good pick for the team. They are strong in that they have a lot of mobility with their ultimates. They also both have CC, Ahri having her charm and Kassidin having a silence and a slow. They can do a solid amount of damage too, usually able to burst the ADC or AP carry down too.

18. xdratx1

xdratx1 Member

Definitely Ryze, his magic is just absolutely incomparable and perhaps a tad overpowered.

19. heyhowareyou

heyhowareyou Well-Known Member

It depends on what you're looking for.
    You want pure amazing burst damage? Try Annie, Leblanc, AP Tristana, Syndra, or Veigar
    You want more consistent damage rather than all or nothing burst? Try Ryze, Brand, Karthus, Malzahar, or Cassiopeia
    You want easy harass and long range poke? Try Xerath, Anivia, Zyra, Ziggs, Viktor, Heimerdinger, or Oriana
    You want a beefy champ that tank while doing a bunch of damage? Try Ryze, Gragas, Morgana, Vladimir, Swain, or Elise
    You want an extremely mobile assassin-mage? Try Ahri, Kennen, Leblanc, Kassadin, or Evelynn

20. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

I'd go with veigar. He delivers huge amounts of damage and his ulti is a doom for any AP enemy. His big AOE stun also comes in handy individually and in gangs, and so is the meteor. I also like Lux and Ziggs for their high damage and Range, especially Lux, I love her ultimate.