Quantcast

Lunar 3, when will it happen?

Discussion in 'Lunar' started by Biffy, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Biffy

Biffy Active Member

I love the Lunar series, and I really have hopes that they'll release 3 sometime next gen. When do you think we'll see a Lunar 3? It was supposed to come out for the PS2, but never did. It's a game that I eagerly want to happen as soon as possible and if anytime is best it'll be for next gen consoles and PC of course.

When do you see it being released? Will it never come out?

2. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

They have said many times that it would happen, but after so many times of them saying it'd be soon, I've given up all hope of it ever happening. I'm sure if it were to happen, next gen would be the best option, but I just doubt it'll happen sadly.

3. Smokey

Smokey Revillution.net C.E.O. Regular

Isn't Working Designs gone? They made Lunar after all, and went out of business last I heard, so you can probably guess that they won't be putting out another LUNAR game. Then Again, weren't the rights to Lunar sold to XSEED? or am I mistaken? I would love a Lunar 3 to be quite honest, it was an awesome RPG series but I don't think it'll happen sadly, if it does happen, it'll probably be in the middle of next gen if at all.

4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I would love to see a sequel but I have a feeling their wont be one.

5. 4justice

4justice Well-Known Member

Working Designs never made the Lunar games. They only published them. Same as they did with DragonForce, Alundra, Growlanser, and a few others. But yeah, unfortunately Working Designs went out of business at the start of the PS2 era. But now their former President and Founder, Victor Ireland heads Gaijin Entertainment, another game company currently making PS4 and PC games.

6. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I think the only way we would see Lunar 3 is if a lot of people requested to see one otherwise they wouldn't waste time and money on a game that people may or may not even play.

7. 4justice

4justice Well-Known Member

Even by request, it would be a long shot. The only people that even remember the Lunar series are the hardcore rpg players. Mind you, the RPG genre is considered niche as it is.

If a petition was started it would need more than most game petitions before it by far.

8. Jordanoyo

Jordanoyo Active Member

If there ever is a petition please let me now about it. I would totally sign my name and maybe even donate some money for them to make another Lunar game.

9. fliktor7

fliktor7 Well-Known Member

I eally love those games, especially Lunar: Sylver Star Story, but eternal blue was fine too. Ghaleon was great *__*

About a Lunar 3...I'm still waiting for it too. The last I heared was the remake of Lunar SSS for the psp, and since now, nothing more xS

10. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

It's not going to happen, unfortunately.

11. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

They're probably not going to do it. It seems that a lot of companies that created games during the golden era of JRPGs just kinda fell flat on pushing for continuing franchises...

12. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I honestly think that's the perfect summation for a lot of RPGs. You're definitely right. Get a couple of entries in and then just disappear for good.

13. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I don't see Lunar 3 happening in the future, despite my want for it to. I do see it once again being re-done for newer consoles though as far as the first two games are concerned. Lunar is one of those remakeable-remarkable marketable games.

14. summerforest

summerforest Member

I wish it'd happen too. I still remember stumbling on Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete at Best Buy and being immediately drawn in because not only was I in my "it's anime so I have to have it!!" phase, the huge box with all the goodies told me I was getting an amazing deal. I had never seen anything like it before. Of course, the game itself was absolutely amazing and I dived in immediately only to get stuck at the very end as I often did with games back then. I remember the deluxe hardcover manual/strategy guide talking about a Lunar 3, too.

I feel like if Game Arts/Gung Ho did make a Lunar 3, they'd have to be really careful about preserving the whole 90s anime feel of it. There are a crapload of anime-style JRPGs nowadays but I think one of the things that makes the Lunar series so enduring to me is that it encapsulates that certain era and style of fantasy anime that isn't really en vogue nowadays. I feel like there's a real danger of a potential Lunar 3 having that modern anime style and essentially becoming indistinguishable from a lot of the recent low-budget niche JRPG fare.

Of course, I don't turn my nose up at all the modern stuff. I just feel like bringing that "90s fantasy anime" sensibility forward to the present day is important for a game like Lunar 3 to actually feel like Lunar 3.

15. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member Regular

I thought I was the only one who felt the same way about the game. I'm suddenly filled with nostalgia. I remember as a kid finding the game in EB Games and buying it simply because it contained anime elements and was quickly sucked into the game's incredible world. Didn't they release a Lunar game for Ds that didn't do so well? I might track it down and give it a spin.

I think they should re-release the old games and see if there is still an interest for the game and maybe make a kickstarter or something like they did with Shenmue 3. I'm sure it would get funded in a heartbeat.

16. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

It probably would, and sadly I think they've already tried to do this by remaking the original Lunar so many times. A means of testing the waters, as it were. I haven't found the remakes to be nearly as good as the PS1 version of the game, though, and I think the script plays a big part in that. The Working Designs translation was just too damned charming and humorous for its own good. Other efforts fall a bit flat by comparison.

Man. Still waiting for a proper Lunar 3. Sadness incarnate.