Quantcast

Legend of Zelda vs Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, May 12, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy are two big names in the RPG scene. Both these franchises have been in the business long enough to be considered the top dogs in the genre. However, one series focuses more on action-based combat while the other focuses more on turn-based strategic combat. Which series do you prefer - Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy?

2. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

Can't I like them both :3
    I mean seriously, they are both great to me.
    But both are tormenting me right not :(
    FF 15 talking its sweet time to be released, and no update at all on the new Zelda Wii U......
    Here's hoping the upcoming E3 will provide an update on these new titles!

3. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Haha! You can. :) But my aim here in this thread is to gather up the Zelda diehards and the Final Fantasy die hards and let them state the pros of their choice and the cons of the other. I'm more of a Final Fantasy die hard.

As for me, I'm more of a Final Fantasy die hard. I like the characters and the gameplay a lot more than Zelda. I think the FF universe is more rich and diverse.

4. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member Regular

Believe it or not, I could never get into Final Fantasy. I never understood the big deal about the series-but then again, I never understood the Zelda series fandom either. Both are great games, but I can't get ridiculously into them. I prefer the Zelda series overall, though.

5. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

If I had to choose between the two, then I would choose the Zelda series. Zelda for Nintendo 64 was gorgeous and very creative. The visuals and ambiance, combined with the music was just perfect. It was magical. Indeed, the Final Fantasy series induced emotion and comradery, but Zelda was like a childhood fantasy I could journey in.

6. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

Both of these games have their disadvantages and advantages. However, it is quite hard to choose over another and therefore both of them are equally good in my opinion. However, I feel like I am more excited of FF 15 than of upcoming Legend of zeldas.

7. camsdad

camsdad Active Member

I have to give it to Zelda for being one of the first RPGs to use the free roam engine making it an adventure game as well. I can't pick one, I played more final fantasy games than Zelda games but I appreciate them both for what they are.
    If I had a decision to choose which I was going to play more, I'd probably go with Final Fantasy because I don't own a Nintendo console right now.

8. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Zelda games were groundbreaking, but the fact of the matter is they're often overhyped. The Final Fantasy series was far better and offered far more to the actual RPG genre.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

I prefer The Legend of Zelda. FF is a bit too, well too anime for me in a sense. I never really liked the characters and the overall story of FF but the game itself is good I'm just not into it.

10. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I prefer The Legend of Zelda. I love all the games of this series. I can't say the same for Final Fantasy series though.

11. hamz10

hamz10 Well-Known Member

Final fantasy felt like an RPG more than zelda. Zelda is more of an adventure game in my opinions. Final Fantasy gets my vote!

12. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Well-Known Member

That's hard to pick. Final fantasy overall had the better look, but Zelda had better game play if you asked me. I would go with Zelda.

13. Primalclaws1974

Primalclaws1974 Well-Known Member

I don't consider them to be in the same class at all. "Skyward Sword" was a letdown to me. The one after that was cartoonish, even by Zelda standards. I got to admit the few screen shots I have seen from Legend of Zelda are beautiful. Final Fantasy 7 will always be my favorite non-MMORPG game of all time. It was so diverse and deep for being on three CDs.

14. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

I think Legend of Zelda would beat Final Fantasy, hands down. Some of the characters only appear a handful of times in the games over different series. Link, Zelda and Ganondarf? They are forever and always the main components You can't replace them. The only that they would get written off is if the Chocobos and the Cuccos teamed up and started an all out war on anyone that isn't them...That COULD get messy.

15. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

It's comparing apples to oranges. They're both different in their tone and set up. Zelda has made its mark through its action based gameplay and Final Fantasy has made its mark through its storytelling and graphics. I enjoy both equally so there's really no one that's better than the other.

16. chronomantic

chronomantic Member

Are they even that comparable genre-wise? just like you said Zelda is more action oriented than FF's more prominent RPG elements. I go to the Zelda games to fully immerse myself into the gameplay, action and puzzle-solving which I thoroughly enjoy whereas in FF I go for the storylines (FF 13 is a prime example of this for me, I LOVED the storyline but the gameplay initially was rather monotonous). I love both of the series but I tend to enjoy (console) Zelda game the most because I know the top-notch gameplay will always be there...can't say the same thing about FF and its storylines.

17. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Member

I believe that the Final Fantasy series wins on numbers alone. There are just too many of them that stay true to it's core gameplay elements than the Zelda series. Final Fantasy also wins in terms of storylines as well. I think they tend to tackle more mature subject matters, and really give their characters a lot of depth. Yup, I think that Final Fantasy takes this one in many categories.

18. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer the Final Fantasy for the turn-based combat as well as the story-line seems to change significantly in each game. Something different is happening, something else to do, more action and saving lives.

Although, The Legend of Zelda series is incredible as well. This has more of a fantasy feel to me considering the characters can be animal-like and just plain weird at times. The story-line changes slightly, but is basically the same. Beat all these small bosses and then the big man at the end. Not really much changing in each game.

Both have incredible gameplay and I would love to play both all day long, but my preference definitely is with the Final Fantasy series. It's more appealing to me.

19. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I have enjoyed the Zelda series as you get to do quests and explore the world and also epic battles, which are interesting and the story is well written so you can understand what is going on. I have enjoyed, doing the side quests where you get paid for finding something or hunting a monster and very nicely put in the game and have enjoyed doing the minor quests which can be enjoyable. Zelda, was a game which was worth the time and the music was well done, and pleasant to listen to while you played the game and easy to control the charcter and level up as well.

20. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

I prefer Final Fantasy for the turn based combat. Although I do like them both.