Quantcast

Kingdom Hearts Combat too Repetitive?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts' started by lindbergh, Nov 21, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

When I first played Kingdom Hearts, I was so much in awe with the Disney Characters. I couldn't believe that they could put together all those Disney characters together into one game. I enjoyed exploring every location that the game presented to me. I was eager to meet the next Disney character and hear what he or she or it had to say.

However, there was one thing that kind of hampered the experience - it was the combat. All I had to do when battling some baddies was to rapidly and repeatedly press the attack button until all of them were eliminated. Kinda made it a bit boring. Do you find the combat in Kingdom Hearts repetitive too?

2. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

Truly, I didn't think that about this game! I invested time and effort to be about dodge and learn different fighting methods to take down an enemy. If they were weak against magic, I made sure I did everything I needed to do at Merlin's to learn spells needed and upgraded whenever possible. I loved the first one and was like you, amazed at seeing some old characters that I loved from the movies. Only thing I didn't love about the franchise is when they added the reaction timed attacks.

3. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

It depends on how you play the game and what difficulty you chose to play the game at. I'm more of a story than combat person, so my difficulty was on easy. I don't remember a whole lot about the battling system but I do know when I choose to play as an expert on the second playthrough that just pressing attack gets me nowhere fast. There's lots of combos and the like that one can use to their advantage during harder gameplay.

4. GoldenWing

GoldenWing Member

It has been long since I played, but I remember focusing more on the movements of the character rather than the combat system itself. Maybe it's because I like the animation themselves more, but I didn't mind the somewhat repetitive combats.

Maybe next time I play Kingdom Hearts I'll focus more on stuff such as the combos and anything else to improve the combat experience, but even the most amazing things will get stale after a lot of repetitions, so even those things may get too repetitive as well.

5. celinejulietdcosta

celinejulietdcosta Well-Known Member

No. I disagree with you. I think it has its own flavor and the different characters are really interesting and enjoyable.

6. Nolan Watt

Nolan Watt Well-Known Member

I quite enjoy the combat play and I really never tired of it.

7. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I never thought of it until you brought it up and you have a point but at the same time it worked for the game. I wasn't too bothered by it because I was more immersed with the story and the exploration of areas.

8. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

The combat worked well for Kingdom Hearts, and it's only repetitive if you kept on doing the same thing each fight. There are plenty of ways to vary things up, though.

9. Rholm

Rholm Member

The combat in Kingdom Hearts is far from repetitive, in my opinion. The styles of combat can be very varied, and learning to beat a hard boss was always a fun and exciting experience. When it came to Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix, I spent about half of my played hours adjusting my skills, strategies, and planning out how to beat a boss I couldn't quite get past. It's very far from repetitive, but if you see the entire combat as killing Heartless and Nobodies, it may seem repetitive to you.

10. fatguy39

fatguy39 Active Member

Well, I agree with you. I love how they made something to mesh out the Disney Worlds, throw in the mix some Square-Enix characters, and somehow, make them interrelated. It changed some elements of the original Disney stories, but in a way that will make it blend into the bigger story.

Now the combat, is, yes, I agree as well, feels repetitive at times. If you ask me though, it goes for a lot of games or RPGs as well. If you are talking about grinding or fighting normal, random mobs, then I definitely agree. There's one thing that I really love about the combat in the series though, and that is the boss fights. I love how hard it can be at times. Gets me all fired up; I just love a hard match.

I'll never forget Platinum Cup for starters, hahaha!

11. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

I think the combat is a bit repetitive. But that is the story for most RPGS. Hopefully they add a different factor into Kingdom Hearts 3 to not make it so repetitive.

12. Dame6089

Dame6089 Active Member

That is definitely a fair complaint. With that said, the game is designed to be that way, so it just depends if that is your type of game or not. I think with the magic system and limit breaks you can diversify it more though if you want to.

13. MJAlex

MJAlex Member

There were plenty of situations I had to play over and refrain from button mashing, due to the fact that I always ended up dead seconds after that... Exploring the dodge system is fantastic, and I think Sora's different forms, implemented in KH2, was a great way to combat the repetitive battle system. Regardless, the games are so well put together that I feel I could play for hours on end without getting tired of it!

14. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I never thought that the combat was repetitive. I think it was nice and it really suits of the game.

15. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

It really suits the game in all aspects. But, the combat style can get quite old for me, but that just means it's time for a break usually. I really enjoyed the addition of the modes, though.

16. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

No, I wouldn't say it is repetitive - not in my opinion, at least. To me, it isn't any more or less repetitive than any other game in its style of RPG when it comes to combat. It has a simple style to it that is not anywhere near as advanced and complicated as a game like Skyrim or The Last of Us. That's part of its charm in my opinion though. It makes the game appeal to both older audiences who loves the story or play for nostalgic purposes as well as to younger gamers that need something simpler to get them started out in the RPG genre.

To me I think of combat in a game like Kingdom Hearts to be a "starter", or "introduction" to gaming. It shows a glimpse into what combat in games can offer, but doesn't get overly hard in itself, making it a game that anyone can play, be it a long-term gamer or a casual player that is starting out or doesn't want to learn difficult moves & attacks.

17. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

I don't find it to be repetitive at all, actually I think Kingdom Hearts is one of the few games where you actually need a strategy to beat certain enemies on higher difficulties, instead of just button mashing.

You are certainly not going to get through the data battles by only mashing X (or O) all the time, and you also need to choose appropriate equipment for most of the battles.
    On lower difficulties, I can see it getting quite repetitive, although just a bit.