Just started, my thoughts

Discussion in 'Dungeons and Dragons Online' started by missbee23, Nov 25, 2014.

1. missbee23

missbee23 Member

WoW was my first mmorpg. I was roped in by a friend, and became hooked overnight. Flash forward several years, and the game just ain't what it used to be.

It was suggested that I should play D&D online. I hesitated for a long time because I knew that it would require more time to learn all the fine details since I have no background with the original tabletop.Besides, I was so used to WoW, it was the standard that everything was measured by. Big mistake.

It has been several years since I have played wow so I feel far enough removed from it that I can appreciate other similar games.

So I started playing D&D online, and after several hours, I realized that I was still level 1. By that time, in wow, I would be level 10. I was pleasantly surprised by this. It meant that the game would not come easy (though it was not hard either). There was a nice balance between easy and challenging. It doesn't take long to move through a quest, but it wasn't mind numbingly simple (kill x number of these monsters). There is depth to it. I find myself reading the quests for the first time in a long time.

I think I am going to like this game. :)

2. Primalclaws1974

Primalclaws1974 Well-Known Member

I don't try new MMORPG very often, because like you said it takes forever to learn it. Dungeons and Dragons was the third MMO I tried, after Ultima Online and World of Warcraft. I was not impressed. The graphics seemed "drawn" strangely. I didn't even like how the character moved. It seemed to be endless quests. I tired of it rather quickly.

3. greensat

greensat Active Member

Dungeons and Dragons is not really my thing just because of the graphics. I feel like I'm wasting my gaming computer by spending time playing this, no offense, garbage of a game.

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

The best thing about DDO is that dungeons are about more than just hacking monsters. There are traps, secret doors, ambushes and all kinda surprises that keep it interesting. I play a mage-thief and I solo my way through most of the dungeons/quests. I like that I can get inside a dungeon and just relax and do my own thing and have tons of surprises and interesting stuff happen.

5. Corten

Corten Well-Known Member

DDO is a blast, I especially love the narrator during quests. I started playing it with a friend, we did quests together. It's really a unique game among MMOs and I'm happy I could experience it. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

6. celinejulietdcosta

celinejulietdcosta Well-Known Member

Hey good to hear your experiences:)

7. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

This. Sometimes that narrator is awesome. Other times, I just like taking my thief and picking locks and disabling traps and fully exploring a dungeon or instance - there's always tons of hidden loot stashed away. From that and the fact the game has a lot of different choices for classing the main part of the game never gets boring. The only reason I stopped was lack of people to play with and I didn't want to pay monthly. This was back before it had it's F2p Platform at all.

8. kestas57

kestas57 Member

I used to play this a hell of a lot like 5 years ago, when it still looked descent. Now, I don't think I could stand playing it just because of the way the damn thing looks.