Is this worth playing for free?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' started by Yoyoenix91, Feb 15, 2014.

1. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh, I know! And I totally understand withholding premium items/storylines/tiers for paying members only. However, I do feel like you should be able to play basic storyline through without having to pay if you're offering a 'free game'. If you can only get to a certain point in the game on the free mode, then it's more of a demo than 'play for free', you know? :) But absolutely, I understand the need for making profit!

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  2. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's a very good point, and maybe they need to change the perception of F2P, since really it *is* an extended demo, but like you said, people expect Free to Play to be "free" when it's not, it's supposed to convince you to subscribe. :)

3. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

The issue with SWTOR's F2P model that forces a lot of modes to be used through a sub is that it's based off an older payment model that's becoming dated. Since I play for storymode the F2P is sufficient but for those wanting dungeons and battlegrounds...it's a catch 22. WoW and FF14 are the two exceptions of being able to keep up a P2P sub model at this point. Microtransactions are becoming more and more popular for a reason because of sustainability of a changing MMO player mindset/changing markets- that being said SWTOR was set up to be WoW's clone in terms of monetization. Lots of other games have gone full on F2P with QoL microtransactions or B2P base game without restrictions and microtransactions to supplement.

4. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member
    Regular

Bioware did not have much experience in MMOs, and it showed. When the game's subscription number dropped off, they were scrambling to make it into a F2P model, and it didn't work as it was intended. Contents were gated too much for new F2P player, and the three tiers system is a bad idea. A better example of transitioning to F2P would be LOTRO.

5. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've played both SWTOR and LOTRO but subbed each time. What would you say are the main differences in the F2P between the two games? I know coming back to SWTOR as a non-sub but as someone who has subbed in the past, I fall into that middle range but it still seemed pretty restrictive. I should boot up LOTRO and see if my characters are still there and what limitations I now have.

6. Usamaars888

Usamaars888 Member
    Regular

While there are plenty of limitations to SWTOR as a free player, the game is still a lot of fun. I personally haven't played enough to tell you if the limitations take away from the gaming experience in the long run but starting out, it's a lot of fun even with the restrictions that are felt early.

7. Funky Fingers

Funky Fingers Active Member
    Regular

As always, those who pay to play will get more out of the game, it's how its always been and probably how it always will be. Although that doesn't mean you shouldn't give f2p a try, so definitely try playing it free and see how you like it.

8. Verity Darkwaters

Regular

I think it is if you're not going to play it hardcore. Actually there are really only a few things worth the purchase of coins in my opinion like more inventory space or action bars and I think some content is for subscribers. I could be wrong. But really if you're just trying to find something to pass the time with there is no need to pay for it.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would give it a shot if I were you, the experience is fun even if you're gonna go the F2P route. Anyway, this thread is nearly 2 years old so you probably already made a choice, haha.

10. LabiVila

LabiVila New Member

It is not. I am most likely the player who has stayed as a F2P player mostly in SWTOR. But it's really not worth it if you don't buy it. You're always one step behind, everyone has anything higher than you, your restrictions are incredibly powerful and you can only do 20% of swtor if I can put it to a percentage. Furthermore, you'll get stuck in a level cap (the worst restriction in my opinion). If you really want to play the game, buy it. You have no other choice.

11. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Why are you necroposting? The topic was long dead. Let it RIP.

12. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, I think a big part of it also might be what type of character you play. From what I heard the hotkey p2w and the storage p2w hit some players harder than others. You need to keep in mind that both of those issues may hinder you pretty substantially in certain instances, but other players can play completely through and barely notice.

13. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the free version serves its purpose well enough in that it allows you to get a feel of the game but eventually if your do end up liking the game I do think it's much better to just get the paid version as well. I think it's worth the cost especially if you're a fan of the franchise which even I am not but still I enjoy the game so I'd say it's good.

14. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

You can play through without paying just fine if you know what you are doing. That said, it isn't as easy for some to play with inventory restrictions etc...

15. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well for someone like me, anytime you throw that "for free" in there, then it is always worth it. It might not be the best thing ever, and probably is not, but at least you are not spending any money.

16. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I love free games.
    So for me, then it is worth playing for free.
    I've watched the starwars animation and it is a little similar to the game.