Is the story worth of it?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' started by fliktor7, Jan 14, 2015.

1. fliktor7

fliktor7 Well-Known Member

I haven't play this MMORPG yet.

I have always loved the Star Wars movies, and now, with the free to play model, I'm interested in this game, but I've seen the graphics and I'm not too many impresed.

My question is...Is the story of this game worth of it? I dislike games without story, and since now, the only MMORPG with a solid one that I've played on the past was Guild Wars. I've heared that the story of this game was pretty cool too. Should I give it a chance? Thanks ^^

2. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member
    Regular

The story is okay, but could be a lot better. I really expected more and am hoping that any future DLC fixes that. If you are a true fan of the star wars series you will love the story I just wasn't enjoying it that much, but you might!

3. fliktor7

fliktor7 Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks for the info ^__^

I think that I will give it a try. I will posts my impressions here later.

4. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

You should definitely try it. Granted, some generic MMO elements might annoy you, story is quite amazing nonetheless. And yeah, it's fully voice-acted.

5. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member
    Regular

Given it's a free to play game, it's definitely worth a shot. The only thing that might bother you is the eventual grind you will have to do to catch up with subscription players. I finished a part of the story slightly underleveled and I had to grind a lot of sidequests and mobs until I caught up.

6. ninespoons

ninespoons New Member

My critique of this game has always been this: It's an MMO where every MMO feature is not actually that great. I found the instances and the PvP very underwhelming. I didn't care for trading and I had very little interaction with any other player during my whole time playing. But I still really enjoyed my first playthrough thanks to the story alone. So I say yes: Give it a shot. But if you're expecting an MMO that you're hoping to play continually over the near year or so then you may be disappointed.

Small disclaimer: It's been a LONG while since I've played, so what I've said could be entirely wrong now. :p

Let us know what you think of it!

7. kestas57

kestas57 Member

If you are really invested into Star Wars then the story is well worth it alone. I did enjoy the story quite a bit. The only problems I have with MMO's in general is that it takes too much grinding if you are playing for the story and grinding is not something I wanted to do in this game.

8. Sinfield

Sinfield Active Member

Most classes have good stories and lore behind it, and the best part is that you can play through it for free, since there are no limitations on personal story for free accounts. I liked the Imperial Agent story the most, and I definitely urge you to try it, as it is quite unique and engaging. :D

9. Nolan Watt

Nolan Watt Well-Known Member

The story is alright, but entertaining at the least.

10. Maeve

Maeve Member

I played SW:TOR on release, and found the story line quite good actually, but it does depend on what class you choose as the story is different for each one. I believe the Jedi Knight story line was one of the best but my favourite was the Imperial Agent.

11. Tyrant

Tyrant New Member

The story is pretty fun, and really the only reason I played. The Imp Agent story is the best by far and the rest pale in comparison in my humble opinion, but they're still a blast.

If you're interested in just the story, you could just watch videos of each class story-line on YouTube.

12. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member
    Regular

The story is the only thing worth of it. The multiplayer aspect of this game isn't that brilliant, and it mostly feels like an offline RPG in which you meet people sometimes. That being said, I really enjoyed the story, and I liked that each class had its own story.

13. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the story is the best part of the game. It's very similar to just playing a traditional single player star wars game. I didn't enjoy the PvP content and there was no real "end game" (at the time), so, playing multiple characters and experiencing each story line was really the only reason I played.

14. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member
    Regular

The story is decent. If you are a big bioware rpg fan then this might be worth it if you have the time. A plus if you are a star wars fan and want to pick and experience every piece of story there is out there from the universe.

15. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member
    Regular

The story is good, but standard Bioware-fare. I bought the game at release, played through the story and then didn't touch it again. It shows some of the events that happened after KOTOR 1 (mainly the fate of Revan), but not enough to make me want to play again. The gameplay is basically WoW to the tooth, and that didn't help at all. If you're a fan of KOTOR 1 & 2 and wants more of that universe, give it a try. Just don't go in expecting KOTOR 3 or a great MMO, because it is neither.

16. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

People that claim it is so similar to WoW don't really understand one or both of the games. There is a lot to differentiate them and the story is well worth it.

17. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member
    Regular

How is it not similar to WoW ? Literally the whole Jedi Guardian skill tree is taken from WoW, the raid and the way skills work are similar in structure. I'm not talking about theme or story, but TOR definitely borrows a lot from WoW.

18. Nytegeek

Regular

I never said there weren't any similarities. What I am saying is that the similarities are greatly overstated.

19. Jboh

Jboh Active Member
    Regular

Honestly, if you're going to play this just for the story, I would pick up Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 instead.(Modern OSs have some trouble running the first game, but the second one should run just fine.) It's a much better experience. However, if you're in it for the MMO experience as well, then I'd say it depends on your tastes. If you're a big Star Wars fan, then it's probably worth at least playing through the trial.

20. Nytegeek

Regular

What trial? The game is free to play.