Quantcast

Is Pokemon just for kids?

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by lindbergh, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member Regular

Not at all, I bought Omega Ruby just last month. Pokemon is one of those games that you can play at any age and have a lot of fun with it.

2. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

You can watch Sesame Street at any age but I wouldn't recommend it for people outside the demographics of parents or young children. Pokemon is clearly a kiddo concept and not a very good one at that. The fact that young adults and people that barely classify as adults cling to it doesn't make it any less of a kid thing. Get off my porch! I had to walk both ways uphill in the snow darn nab it!

3. Jboh

Jboh Active Member Regular

While there's no doubt that the games are clearly marketed towards children, there are also many fans of Pokemon in their late teens to early twenties. Many 90s kids grew up with the franchise and still follow it to this day (Including me. :) )

Plus, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if it's made for kids or not. If you enjoy the games, then that's all that matters.

4. Feels Bard Man

Feels Bard Man Active Member Regular

I can see no harm in adults liking Pokemon. Most of us who were born in the 1990s have fond memories of playing Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Silver/Gold while we were growing up. There can sure be no wrong in being nostalgic of the good old times and try out the newer titles.

5. Funky Fingers

Funky Fingers Active Member Regular

While the majority of the money put into Pokemon was from little kids, Pokemon's audience reaches all age groups so it's definitely not just for children. I also have seen it being preached as if a religion to some of the older excuse me but geekier guys.

6. Humble

Humble Member Regular

Definitely not! Pokemon games are something that a lot of people grew up with and so even as an adult, they play the games. I also don't think its all "cute" (Pokemon like Trubbish for example or Jinx). I think pokemon is perfect for all ages and that it may seem like a lot of kids play it but that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of adults doing it too.

7. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member Regular

I think it is aimed towards kids, but remember there is a lot more competition in the collection centric video game market now. For instance those who grew up around my era we all played Pokemon and there wasn't any substantial competition to them. Whilst Pokemon is still around nowadays and still turns a profit. There is also Skylanders, Lego Dimensions, Disney Infinity as competition and from what I have heard. Children are now flocking to them instead of Pokemon. Pokemon is still selling well but it is because of us "The old guard"

Also its worth mentioning the Anime series is not as popular as it once was, even in its native Japan. Yokai Watch is now the prime kids anime. The anime is still popular for kids in Japan, but I think in US and EU territories its mainly teens and young adults that watch Pokemon now.

8. ikarosalpha

ikarosalpha Active Member Regular

I've always loved both the show and the games. As the anime genre is shounen, you can't really argue about it being for kids, that's literally what the genre means. Nevertheless they appeal to adults too, and nobody's going to stop you from liking what you want. :p Except if your interests are illegal or intended for the opposite sex, then you've released society's hell upon you.

9. DanaFoxScully

DanaFoxScully Well-Known Member Regular

Definitely not! When it started, it was obviously aimed at the younger demographic, but it clearly has such a wide fanbase, and so many people either grew up with the games or heard about it from others. Regardless, they're just so easy to get sucked into that I don't see why anybody can't play it!

10. galactica

galactica Member Regular

Things have changed a lot since I was a teenager. It was unthinkable in high school that anyone older than 12 would play Pokemon. Nowadays, people's grandmas are playing Pokemon and it's looked at normally.

I don't have a 3DS so I haven't been able to keep up with the output, but I definitely want to get one to play Pokemon X/Y.