Quantcast

Is Pokemon just for kids?

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by lindbergh, Nov 12, 2013.

1. samanthasays

samanthasays Member

I think Pokémon in general was designed and targeted towards children but as with most things I think it's kept its popularity with the children it was originally targeted at. I feel that's why a ton of adults continue to play, collect, and watch the shows. It's nostalgic and was obviously made well enough that it's still relevant and of interest to adults.

2. Burt Povski

Burt Povski Well-Known Member

It may have been intended for kids and teenagers possibly, but I wouldn't necessarily agree to that. I think that anyone can play Pokemon and anyone can watch it. It just might not be as entertaining if you're older.

3. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

Given the huge following it has today comes from adults who watched the show as kids, I wouldn't really say it's only for kids. This may have been the case when it started, but I'm sure that they realized that adults enjoy playing Pokemon nowadays too, and that's why they include so many double entendres in the game.

4. TurningCoffee

TurningCoffee Member

I think there's a lot of stuff in Pokemon that is kind of advanced for young children. When you get deep into EV training Pokemon and some of the hidden complexities of the games then you really realize that there's more than meets the eye. As a kid I had a lot of fun with the games, but there is no denying that I get a lot more out of playing Pokemon nowadays than I did before.

5. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Who said that? It's true that most of the Pokemon fans are below the 10 years old but this doesn't mean that an adult must dislike it.. I'm 20 years old and I still love the pokemon world, infact I'm still loving playing pokemon videogames even if it's a matter of nostalgie than other feelings.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Definitely not! I still play the games today, after 15 years of continously watching the series and I always see older players. The cartoon has a nostalgic feeling for those who are adults now, so a lot of them still play/watch the series.

7. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

Not at all! Is the Pokemon series primarily targeted at kids? Yes, but as games, they're designed to appeal to a wide variety of age groups. Kids can get tons of enjoyment out of simply playing through the story modes, capturing Pokemon and things of that nature. While people who want more depth out of their game can dig their way deeper into the competitive aspects of the game, and start breeding Pokemon and creating teams for online battles.

8. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

I definitely think it's for everyone. It's great for the kids and if your an adult, you get to enjoy some nostalgia. Playing Pokémon games does take strategy because you have to know what type of Pokémon will be great for battle.

9. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

Naw dude, I still play a shit ton of Pokemon games on online emulators and I'm 21! The hacked versions are cool, and you can even get some more matures ones that swear and stuff if that's what you want.

10. GenevB

GenevB Well-Known Member Regular

Definitely not, I never thought about pokemons as cute, I played the game back then because I love it, I still play it from time to time when I have nothing to do and finish it in like 2 or 3 days.

11. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

NOTHING is just for kids. There is literally nothing stopping you from enjoying "kid" stuff just because it is labelled as such.

And pokemon are definitely not played because they are cute. It's a really fun RPG game with gameplay that basically nothing else offers.

12. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I don't think so. As long as you enjoy playing the games, who cares how old you are? Games are for all ages depending on said content but no one is too young or old to enjoy Pokemon.

13. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

People who think Pokemon is just for kids didn't have a happy childhood. I played it all my life and didn't care about what other people said because they haven't felt the happiness I felt when catching a new Pokemon.

14. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

Definitely not. I will play Pokemon way beyond my forties. I love the nostaglic feelings of the game for me and also, I mean, we're putting tiny monsters against each other. How is it not for older audiences? :p

15. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

No. Have you ever seen competitive Pokemon? They take that stuff SERIOUSLY. Pokemon is something that children definitely enjoy, but I would think that the majority of its serious fanbase is older than that.

16. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member Regular

As an adult who has played Pokemon for years, since the original gameboy, I hope not! I love Pokemon. As such, no, I don't think it's just for kids. It has mass appeal to all ages. I still have several adult friends who play!

17. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member Regular

In my opinion, nothing is ever 'just for kids'. If you enjoy it, who cares? It's for anyone who is interested in it. :)

18. Necrotica

Necrotica Active Member Regular

I definitely think it's for all ages. Yeah, the design of the games is extremely kid friendly, but there's a lot of depth to the games that makes it appealing to the adult RPG crowd, especially in terms of the combat.

19. KyubiChan

KyubiChan Active Member Regular

I think that Pokemon is for all ages. I mean I believe it was first targeted at kids when it first came out, but a lot of those kids are now grown and still like Pokemon. Pokemon I guess, is what you would call family friendly. Some adults have babies and they dress them up as little Pokemon, which more than likely means they themselves are Pokemon fans as well.

20. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

There may or may not be adult interest in it, maybe nostalgia for people that are just barely adults as well. I think it is a poorly designed story and concept I would love to kill it with fire to be honest. Get of my porch!!!