Quantcast

Is Pokemon just for kids?

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by lindbergh, Nov 12, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

I loved watching Pokemon in TV when I was still a kid. I loved Pikachu and all the other cute Pokemon. I also loved playing the games that Nintendo spammed at us. Anyway, do you think that Pokemon games are being played because they are cute? Are these games purely for kids?

2. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

Funny thing. I used to hate the show as a kid and didn't play the games a lot but I became a huge fan of LeafGreen and FireRed in college. Go figure.

3. TheSmallBones

TheSmallBones Member

Same as Spiral, I used to absolutely hate the show as a kid. My sister had Pokemon cards that she collected but nothing further than that. When I was 14 I began to enjoy playing the games on my Gameboy, and from there I just purchased every new game that came out. Even now though, I still hate the show and don't understand the point of it. Also, I don't buy all of the Pokemon merchandise, at the age of 19 I feel like wearing pokemon clothing is just an embarrassment. Just my opinion though!

4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I don't think it is it might have been designed for kids, but that doesn't mean an adult can't enjoy it personally even as a kid I never cared for the anime, but I loved the games.

5. xdratx1

xdratx1 Member

I wouldn'y say they're for kids. True their TV show might bit a tad childish but the gameplay for the Nintendo games are quite entertaining. I'm 20 and i still love playing games like Pokemon X and Y.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

The TV show was certainly for kids. For the games... I think it was more aimed towards kids but doesn't mean that adults can't enjoy them too.

7. jbepp

jbepp Well-Known Member

The TV was for kids, but the games are for everyone. The game has a few things that make it fun to everyone and it actually tries to improve and add new things with every new release of the game. You're never too old to enjoy Nintendo games.

8. alfonso

alfonso Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised, a lot of older folk are really big fans of Pokemon. I'n 26 and I'm still sort of into Pokemon, though not as much when I was in high-school. I have a few friends who are still actively playing the Pokemon card game.

9. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

Also, if I might just add, Youngster Joey constantly telling you about his super comfortable shorts isn't something that should be in a purely kids' game. :p

10. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

There are a lot of communities out there dedicated to pokemon games, and you'd be surprised how many people still participate in them. There's also a decent 'ROM hacking' community that try to create new games using older (classic) pokemon games.

11. Rice

Rice Active Member

Honestly, although Pokemon is targeted towards children, I feel that more older people play it more than children. Actually most of my friends play it, white my younger cousins rather play something more violent, like Call of Duty. It could be because it's nostalgic for a good number of us, as I feel that Kirby has a similar audience as well, which is another nostalgic series aimed towards younger kids.

Plus, honestly, the game has enough competitive strategy that can appeal to older players as well. Pokemon has something to offer for those of all ages.

12. TeHDruiD

TeHDruiD Member

I'd say the cartoon definitely is just for kids, but as an adult, I feel like the Pokemon games aren't necessarily for kids. RPG's are RPG's, I don't really mind if the game is "kid" oriented, as long as it's enjoyable to me

13. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

LOL, no! It may have been designed for kids but I think it had the most succes among adults. I really doubt kids now are able to appreciate Pokemon at it's full value...

14. rosacrux

rosacrux Well-Known Member

I am 27 and I still enjoy playing Pokemon. From time to time I play Blue and Red and remember the first time I did it, all the excitement to find a new and get a new Pokemon. I think it does not matter what your age is, Pokemon is a great game.

15. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

No, I think anyone from any age can and will enjoy pokemon. They are not mean't to be tied to a specific age group. It's aimed at kids 10 and up sure but it's not entirely like it's ONLY for them either. Many people at many ages enjoy the games and that will never cease. I love Soul Silver and play it pretty often and eventually I'll get Pokemon X. It just matters that you believe that it is FUN!

16. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

The cartoon is definitely for kids, but the games are (can be) so deep and complex that it is for teenagers and adults alike, I don't think that kids can understand systems like Natures, IV's, EV's.

17. Zerth

Zerth Member

Well I think both the games and anime are aimed at children, but I don't see any wrong in letting older people watch and play it. I see many people whos quite old that's watching it. Although it's quite boring the anime and it just repeats itself, there are some interesting moments. As for the games, it's quite fun if you like the style of the games.

18. KKrage

KKrage Well-Known Member

Hmm. It's obviously aimed for children, but there's no harm on adults/teenagers liking them. I see lots of older people playing and watching Pokemon. However, for older people it's boring and very repetitive. For games/RPGs, it's totally different; it's fun but similar to other Pokemon games. Depends on the person really... If you're not a video game/ anime type of person then you'd probably not like Pokemon. Anyone can like anything.

19. The whole Pokemon franchise is definitely targeted towards young children however I myself personally still enjoy the games and occasionally watch the anime. I personally don't see any problem with adults or teenagers enjoying them.

There are some aspects to the game which I think are complicated enough to interest for the older players such as competitive battling, IVs and EVs but even without those I still think that the nostalgia does make the games much more enjoyable. The games and anime do tend to get boring and repetitive but if it's enjoyable I don't see why that's an issue.

20. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member Regular

When Pokemon first started it was definitely for kids. Now it still has appeal for pre-teen kids, but it is heavily played by young adults as well because it has evolved into a more sophisticated RPG game compared to it's simpler card game/gameboy heritage.

I see know reason why it would only appeal to kids these days, nor why adults can't play it. There is no real standard for what adults should and shouldn't play when it comes to video games. You have to tread into sesame street territory before you start seeing an obvious line drawn anywhere.