Quantcast

Is only a minority of Civilization fans also a fan of this game?

Discussion in 'Civilization: Beyond Earth' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 16, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

Civilization games are one of the standard bearers for strategy games in the past decade or so. They have been positively viewed as a leader in ingenuity and brilliance when it comes to video games and strategies that recreate historical moments in time, but with this new game (or spin-off), it deviates from the classic Civilization route and went for a more futuristic theme, and I guess it really didn't suit well with players of the older Civ games. What about you guys? What do you think of this game?

2. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, while most people were actually ok with the futuristic theme (years ago, Alpha Centauri explored similar themes, and it's considered on of the best Civ-like games), the general consensus is that BE is a glorified expansions pack with nations and units from vanilla version removed. Most Civilization fans expected something like a modern Alpha Centauri, which introduced or vastly expanded many new mechanics, like ranged artillery attack, and felt deeply diappointed with Firaxis eventually delivered.

My personal opinion is that Beyond earth is, on its own, quite good, but when compared with the brilliancy that is the rest of the series, it feels like a flop. Definitely not recommending, get yourself Civ 4 or 5 instead ;)

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

I think people have had the same problem with the Rise of Nations spin-off (?) called Rise of Legends. Basically, it was a game with RTS settings, but added a more fantasy and magical touch. It has been widely praised by critics, but apparently it was too far of a change from the core of Rise of Nations, which turned off a lot of gamers, and to be honest, that's me included. I guess people don't like change very much, and when gamers get attached to a certain gaming series, any change would mean a sign of war to their fan base.

4. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

@OursIsTheFury Straying from the estabilished theme of the series may be a risk, but I still think the Civ fandom in general is OK with the game changing - just look how much have the game evolved since the first. It was more the lack of creativity put into BE that doomed it to bad reputation among the fans.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I think I'm the majority, sadly. Beyond Earth seemed like a good idea initially, but once you get through the game it doesn't have that same feel the classic Civilization games have.

6. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member Regular

Eh, personally I don't particularly like it. There's just no reason to favor it over Civ V in any way.

7. Vladimir Logos

Vladimir Logos Member Regular

I liked the early game dynamics in BE, it felt new and different. But as the game progresses there is little innovation. Not even the tech tree (which should be the highlight of a futuristic game) seemed particularly interesting as a whole, although there are some gems.

It's OK, just not CIV V level. I'd rank BE as better than CIV III and worse than IV and V.

8. Vall

Vall Member Regular

Civilization Beyond Earth was definitely a risk, and I'd say it didn't really pay off. I only managed 2 full games and even they were a struggle to play through. It just lacks that feeling of progress in the other Civ games when you research an actual technology, enter a new era or build a wonder. While the main Civilization series will definitely bring quality games, I hope that this game won't discourage the devs from taking more risks with their spinoffs in the future.

9. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

This is exactly it. I don't think Civilization fans are inherently against change, especially when you look at the fact that a lot of the complaints in regards to Beyond Earth come from the fact that is way too much like V with a new coat of paint, not that it had a drastic setting change.

The big problem is that drastic setting change didn't change the gameplay in any meaningful way.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

I haven't tried the game yet but am not drawn to the idea. I can understand why they created the game, but for me if it was to play a futuristic game I wouldn't think of civilizations first. i think they sidetracked form what they do best.

11. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member Regular

At first, it seems an interesting game but personally. I think that civilization is better than Beyond Earth series. The feel and taste of the game is very different.

12. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member Regular

I think they create this game because they wanted to create a new futuristic world for their players. The idea is great but the game was not as impressive as I thought.

13. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

Or maybe they were thinking of starting a new genera. Till now civilizations has been more historical based, this was something completely different form their place of comfort.

14. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

I had the same problem

15. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

I would bet that it is a little more than a small minority, but then again I could be wrong as that seems to be the case a lot. I liked it, but I also can understand why other do not.