Is it too late to start?

Discussion in 'EVE Online' started by generalthrax, Aug 26, 2015.

1. generalthrax

generalthrax Member

EvE has always been a game that I've wanted to get really into but I always find it hard to because of what people say and because I'm afraid its too late for new players to get into the game now. So I just have a question for those that play it if its too late to start or not?

2. West

West Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am interested in hearing the answer for this as well. I love sci-fi and I think EVE Online would be a great MMO for me to get into, since I'm not really into any right now. How beginner-friendly is it? How active is the community?

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I was thinking of joining too and people told me that it's never too late to hop on the game. It may be a little bit hard at the start but you can cover up the distance.

4. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

In any Massively Multiplayer game, there will always be people ahead of you in experience and skill. The bad thing about this is obvious in games like EVE is obvious. A more experienced player will be able to afford and fly ships effectively that a new player won't be able to. But, there's no use in trying to compete with them, compete with people on your level. The positive here is that games like EVE, unlike some MMOs have communities built around helping new players build up their wealth and skill set. This means you can easily draw on the experience of older players by joining the various new-player friendly alliances and going through the paces. This doesn't mean EVE Online is easy to learn, but taking the right path when you start is key to enjoying the game.

A few tips:

1.Skill points accumulate over time so the more time you're subbed, the better you get, and unless you buy a certain in-game item, you only get one active training queue per account. The training queue is an unlimited length so you can plan your skills in blocks of 50 at a time. Although only the more advanced players using tools like EVEMon do this to maximize efficiency.

2. Forget about PLEXing your account during the 30 day trial (paying for sub with in-game currency). This kills the fun of EVE until you're at a point as a player where you're making >2B ISK per month in profit and can afford PLEX.

3.Try everything. Don't just sit in High-sec and mine all day. Join an alliance or corp like E-Uni, KarmaFleet. or BNI right off of the bat. These groups bend over backwards with programs and classes to help new players. For the love of BoB, take advantage of them whenever you can.

You get three character slots, and can easily set up a main and two alts. Set aside a few days of training time for your alts immediately. Going off of tip 1, make an alt for Faction Warfare, and one for station trading. Even brand new characters with 2 days of training time can compete in these areas. And both are great ways of not only learning the game, but making ISK. Plus, the more parts of the game your experience from the beginning, the better your chance you find something you truly enjoy.

4. There is no surefire path to success in EVE. Despite the game's community being very helpful, the onus is on you to have fun. Go on any fleet or operation you can get on, you never know what kind of shiny kills you can get. One of my first operations in BNI a year ago when I got back into the game was helping to kill an event SuperCarrier.
    5.Use the 30 day trial, there are plenty of skill plans that can give a boost towards your goal in less than 30 days. A PI alt can be trained in 20 for example. Also, that link is a trial link, if you use it and sign up for a full account, I get a reward. Message SSG Kitami in-game if you do upgrade past the trial and I'll share the ISK with you.

5. West

West Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've heard that EVE Online is basically a more hardcore version of Puzzle Pirates. I really enjoyed Puzzle Pirates growing up, so I'll probably give EVE a shot eventually.

How difficult would you say it is to end up PLEXing your account when you're only a few months into the game?

6. ISKMogul

That comparison is so far from accurate it boggles my mind. Saying Puzzle Pirates is like EVE is like saying Puzzle Quest is like Final Fantasy.

The only similarity Puzzle pirates and EVE share are some form of market economy, and some community-driven content. EVE is in a class all it's own though, complex meta-gaming and a full player-driven economic model are things really only EVE has, and it's been around longer than most other MMOs. I'm sorry if I come across as irritated, but that was just a really inaccurate statement you made. If you go into EVE expecting a simple family-friendly game like Puzzle Pirates to mimic EVE, you're in for culture shock.

As far as PLEXing, like I said above it should be avoided until you generate profit per month in-game equal to the cost of at least one PLEX, if not two. The reason I say two is because you want to have enough ISK to replace the ships you lose. And you will lose them. Frankly, if you do play EVE "Fly only what you can afford to lose" better be your mantra. Treat everything you own in EVE as nothing more than ammo, it will be lost, and you'll want to replace it. Losing stuff is something that far too many people get stressed about in EVE.

The problem with trying to PLEX too early is that you spend all of your time grinding for ISK and forget to enjoy the game. And people who try to do it too quickly end up quitting long before they get to experience the full game.

Use this link to monitor the PLEX price overall if you do get into it.

tinybutnotfangless likes this.
  7. West

West Well-Known Member
    Regular

Very cool, thanks.

I personally didn't mean anything by that comparison. If you google "puzzle pirates alternative" you'll eventually run into a lot of people suggesting EVE Online, primarily because of that player-driven economy and culture. From what I've seen so far, it really does seem like a far-fetched comparison past that, though.

8. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I don't think it's too late to start at all, not in any game at least. I think it's more about enjoyment rather than doing it in competition.

9. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's definitely not too late. I picked the game up a few months ago and won my first PvP battle two or three weeks in. I've never felt that I was too far behind so that I couldn't enjoy the game. Further, the community is one of the best I've seen across all platforms. Generally very helpful and they have a channel dedicated to answering noob questions (there are a ton).

10. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

The only time it's too late to get into an MMO game is if it's on its last leg of life before being cast aside from the publisher and the players. Star Wars Galaxy when it was bought out by SOE is a great example.

EVE is here to stay. So that means people will have the opportunity to play it, enjoy it and progress.

11. jbepp

jbepp Well-Known Member

I'm definitely gonna be watching this thread closely. I've been wanting to get into EVE, but I feel like the community is so intimidating and powerful that maybe I'll have a hard time starting to play now. It looks like an amazing game but I feel like people who have been playing for years are so far away from me.

12. ISKMogul

The political scene in EVE can be intimidating. With the the major power blocs in Null Sec constantly changing, it can seem like one would get pushed away by the highly competitive nature of it all. Luckily, there are areas of the game that are new player friendly that don't get swallowed by the meta-game. Wormholes and the groups that play in them are a good example of this.

13. amirani

amirani New Member

It's never too late to start EVE. You will soon be able to fly a ship like a Tech 1 cruiser and be useful to your corporation. After a few months, you can have good skills for some of the small Tech 2 ships. Sure, it will take a long time until you will be able to use the biggest ships like caps and supers but who cares, capitals are boring anyway.

In addition, most of te nullsec major alliances have corporations that recruit beginners. You can get to nullsec pretty fast and they will teach you how to play the game.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

No, it is never too late to start anything. In fact, you could even go as far to say that it would be an advantage because you will have so many people to bounce things off of. I remember when I first played I was a little confused to the whole idea, and I was struggling, so maybe someone there to guide me would have helped a little.

15. dionnextherese

dionnextherese Well-Known Member
    Regular

No, it's never too late to start a game.

16. crazylexy

crazylexy Member
    Regular

It is hard because of huge knowledge you need to have. But corps are training newbies so take it easy. If you are smart it will be a pleasure for you

17. Sweeriebanana

Sweeriebanana Active Member
    Regular

I don't think it's too late to. As long as you can make tome for it it's cool. Don't let the criticizing get to you.

18. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's not too late to start playing any game especially if it is available to play and you have the device to accommodate the playing. There are many children being born who will grow up and it will also be their first time to play a game. And at the same time, there are many grown people who are bored with playing some games and they are looking for new ones.

JustusFunk likes this.
  19. JustusFunk

JustusFunk Member
    Regular

I totally agree with this guy.

20. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm in total agreement with you. You summed up what was on my mind?